Author Topic: Best Pitcher in the Nationals Organization?  (Read 2753 times)

Offline raleighnat

Best Pitcher in the Nationals Organization?
« Topic Start: April 14, 2008, 08:54:24 PM »
How about Jordan Zimmerman?

2007 Season:
Team League W L ERA G GS CG SHO SV IP H R ER HR BB SO GO/AO AVG
VER NYP 5 2 2.38 13 11 0 0 0 53.0 45 14 14 2 18 71 1.39 .228

Team League W L ERA G GS CG SHO SV IP H R ER HR BB SO GO/AO AVG
POT CAR 1 0 0.93 2 1 0 0 1 9.2 3 2 1 0 5 12 1.25 .097

I know Detwiler gets the press and Balester seems to be everyone's desired call up.  But this guy - probably not this year - looks like he has the stuff to be a bona fide ace - and he's 21, so not that far away.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Re: Best Pitcher in the Nationals Organization?
« Reply #1: April 14, 2008, 08:59:39 PM »
If he continues the current trend his ETA could be 2010.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #2: April 14, 2008, 09:02:05 PM »
83 K's/ 23 BB's? Holy crap.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #3: April 14, 2008, 09:02:54 PM »

Unless he's the next Felix Hernandez. Damn, getting my own hopes up again. :?

Offline spidernat

« Reply #4: April 14, 2008, 09:24:20 PM »
83 K's/ 23 BB's? Holy crap.

That is nice. Anyone one know how fast his fastball can get?

Unless he's the next Felix Hernandez. Damn, getting my own hopes up again. :?

How sweet would that be!

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #5: April 14, 2008, 09:32:55 PM »
That is nice. Anyone one know how fast his fastball can get?

91-93 w/ great sinking action according to this scouting report.

http://www.moundtalk.com/prospects/jordan-zimmerman-scouting-report/

Offline Roarin Storen

• #teamlocke
« Reply #6: April 14, 2008, 09:35:43 PM »
He is good, but at this point you can't call him the best. Same with Colton Willems, they both get the job done in the end, but have very different pitching styles. My outlook is that both will be better than Detwiler, Clippard and Balester, but at this point either of these guys could step it up and be the man.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #7: April 14, 2008, 09:44:38 PM »
I'll point out what I always do - that he pitched in a freakin' snowstorm and will be a kickass pitcher in early April and  late October. The video was on the Nationals website soon after the draft.

Offline xposbrad

« Reply #8: April 14, 2008, 09:55:35 PM »
we sure could use all the help we can get, I hope we have some good pitchers in the minors

Offline spidernat

« Reply #9: April 14, 2008, 09:55:46 PM »
Haven't heard much concerning Colton Willems lately.

91-93 w/ great sinking action according to this scouting report.

I'd love to see that go up to 95-96.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #10: April 14, 2008, 10:04:51 PM »
Willems pitched 6 scoreless innings on Saturday in Hagerstown.

Mike O'Connor recorded 10 Ks over 6 innings (1 ER allowed) with Columbus tonight.

Offline Paris

« Reply #11: April 14, 2008, 10:51:07 PM »
He is good, but at this point you can't call him the best. Same with Colton Willems, they both get the job done in the end, but have very different pitching styles. My outlook is that both will be better than Detwiler, Clippard and Balester, but at this point either of these guys could step it up and be the man.

I saw Detwiler pitch four innings against Kinston on 4/12. He did well, but he's clearly a work in progress, although he has a pick off move better than I've ever seen.  A lefthander, he can nail the 1st baseman's glove with a suddden turn while appearing to make his delivery to home plate. What makes the move so effective is that he can do this without turning his head first so as to alert the base runner. There were only two umps, one at home, and another behind 2nd with an obstructed view of the play at 1st. I was sitting near 1st base and watched Detwiler throw out a runner 3 times in a row before the ump gave him the call on the 4th try.  In the majors, with an ump at 1st, I think Detwiler would get the runner most of the time.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #12: April 14, 2008, 11:02:53 PM »
But the downside may be that the move is good that it may be borderline balk and an umpire would be in better position to spot it being stationed at 1B.

Offline raleighnat

« Reply #13: April 14, 2008, 11:23:25 PM »
I've seen JZ ranked as the #1 or 2 pitching prospect in the Nats system - he is a stud...Nats Farm Authority had him just behind Detwiler...but he was a college pitcher like Detwiler so they are both probably about the same lead time out from the majors.  But Zimmerman appears more dominant - I have yet to see a box score where he didn't look dominant - the guy is like clock work and I think we will be our ace in 2 years.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #14: April 14, 2008, 11:25:12 PM »
If we ever have an ace pitcher named Zimmermann and an ace hitter named Zimmerman, commentators' heads will be swimming. "The one with one N or two?" :D We'd have to change our name to the Washington Zims.

Offline Air Zimmerman

• best 3b in the business
« Reply #15: April 15, 2008, 02:15:16 AM »
Zimmerman and Zimmermann  :pimp:

natsfan1a

« Reply #16: April 15, 2008, 08:06:46 AM »
One solution might be to draw out the ending of the pitcher's name in their commentary, kind of like Seinfeld used to do for Newman: "and now Zimmermannnnnnnnn steps back to the mound..." :lol:

---

If we ever have an ace pitcher named Zimmermann and an ace hitter named Zimmerman, commentators' heads will be swimming. "The one with one N or two?" :D We'd have to change our name to the Washington Zims.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #17: April 15, 2008, 08:12:05 AM »
It appears as though Zimmerman is relieving (if I read the not aligned stats correctly)

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #18: April 15, 2008, 08:31:28 AM »

If he is any good it will be sooner than that. He is a college player so his ETA should be determined by him much like Lannan's was. He could make it by the end of this year or by the beginning of 2010 like you say, but they should just let his performance determine when he arrives. Zimmerman was the kid that pitched in the D-III playoffs with his jaw wired shut in the snow.

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #19: April 15, 2008, 08:32:01 AM »
It appears as though Zimmerman is relieving (if I read the not aligned stats correctly)

He relieved Hill in his rehab start and pitched four shutout innings.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #20: April 15, 2008, 08:35:58 AM »
Collin Balester, Tyler Clippard, Garrett Mock, Ross Detwiler, Jordan Zimmermann, Colten Willems, Josh Smoker, Jack McGeary, Adam Carr and Zech Zenicola the first 10 names to pop in my mind and there's more.  I like the direction the Nats are headed in.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #21: April 15, 2008, 10:07:19 AM »
If he is any good it will be sooner than that. He is a college player so his ETA should be determined by him much like Lannan's was. He could make it by the end of this year or by the beginning of 2010 like you say, but they should just let his performance determine when he arrives. Zimmerman was the kid that pitched in the D-III playoffs with his jaw wired shut in the snow.
DIII competition is pretty much high school ball, right? No scholarships. I met a guy who had played against Wisconsin-Stevens Point, and said that Zimmermann was amazing.

Offline EmpireNat

• Hit 'em Hard
« Reply #22: April 15, 2008, 11:01:42 AM »
Zimmerman looks to have a bright future ahead of him, and along with Detwiler, Smoker and Clippard will almost definitely form the basis of our rotation/bullpen in the not so distant future. At this moment in time, Balester should get a rotation spot sooner rather than later, especially with so many ?'s around Hill and Bergmann already down.

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #23: April 15, 2008, 11:36:06 AM »
DIII competition is pretty much high school ball, right? No scholarships. I met a guy who had played against Wisconsin-Stevens Point, and said that Zimmermann was amazing.

D-III baseball is weird. I think it is the only sport where you don't have to play within your own division. Like all D-III it is pretty much just above high school which is what suprised me most when they took Zimmerman. I was suprised a D-III player was going in the draft at all let alone as high as he did. If he has a few more starts like he has had he will move up to AA before too long. The one advantage he has over Lannan is that he is actually on the radar.

Offline blue911

« Reply #24: April 15, 2008, 12:22:10 PM »
Zimmerman looks to have a bright future ahead of him

Which is better than a future behind you  ;)

Sorry couldn't resist.