Author Topic: Jesus Flores to be called up to replace Zim!  (Read 4242 times)

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
idiot, we are talking about trades for Pudge.  how do you talk about trades without assessing the other team's needs?
JCA taking out the whipping stick. Atta boy! :rofl:

Offline DPMOmaha

I try not to :? :spaz:
Well, that's why he's not playing.

Offline DPMOmaha

Unless Flores is about to be moved and a prospective team finds him more appealing with an option left.
That's really the only reason I can come up with, which would be ok with me.

Offline hammondsnats

idiot, we are talking about trades for Pudge.  how do you talk about trades without assessing the other team's needs?

Salty has a .757 OPS v. RHP over 593 PAs in the majors.

dude relax i forgot the 8) face ... i was waiting for you or someone to add [and orioles]

don't take it out on me just because your red sawx suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline hammondsnats

JCA taking out the whipping stick. Atta boy! :rofl:

shut up

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
This is what I was thinking. Try to showcase his hitting. The guy has pop. When he last played, he was clutch, too.
That's really the only reason I can come up with, which would be ok with me.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
dude relax i forgot the 8) face ... i was waiting for you or someone to add [and orioles]

We are good. I would not have used "idiot" if I thought you'd take offense.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
shut up
Nothing personal. I just like it when people on this board flip out.

Offline hammondsnats

We are good. I would not have used "idiot" if I thought you'd take offense.

i'm just upset spider wasn't here to add the O's part.  He - cough cough, she - is usually good at that.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Let's trade Pudge to the Orioles for Zach Britton, Nick Markakis, and a few sandwiches from Boog's BBQ.

Offline HTT

Maybe Flores is up until Shark gets a few games in at AAA.  Then maybe Bernie up for Flores during the weekend.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Why would the Nats need another left handed OF'er? It'd make more sense to call up RHB Jeff Frazier over Bernadina.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
Maybe Flores is up until Shark gets a few games in at AAA.  Then maybe Bernie up for Flores during the weekend.

Weekend at Bernie's?

Offline NattyTime

Good to hear Flores got called up. Obviously cant replace the glove, but at least he can hit.

If were setting Ramos up for the future, whats to stop us from dangling Flores out there for a trade? He would probably command more in return than Pudge..I cant imagine Pudge having too much value to too many teams

I cant imagine Pudge having too much value to too many teams

Including the Nats

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
no worries.

Flores will tear a muscle walking up the stairs to the on-deck circle, and he'll be back on the DL.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
Flores was a beast last night.  You always know a catcher is doing his job defensively when you don't hear us talking about him.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
no worries.

Flores will tear a muscle walking up the stairs to the on-deck circle, and he'll be back on the DL.

He may spontaneously combust.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Transaction Analysis
by Ben Lindbergh, Baseball Prospectus

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=13630#WAS
Recalled Jesus Flores from Syracuse Chiefs. [4/12]

Given the specialized skill set and physical demands of the position, carrying a second catcher is a necessary evil, but three seems like overkill—how many games have been lost for want of a dedicated third catcher, as opposed to an effective pinch-hitter, a defensive replacement and skilled pinch-runner, or an extra arm? With Wilson Ramos mashing, Ryan Zimmerman and Adam LaRoche ailing, and the outfield barely registering a pulse, the Nationals' decision to call up another catcher to pinch-hit is perplexing from a roster management perspective, but the second coming of Jesus Flores is an even better illustration of the profound impact that missing even a single season at the wrong time (not that there's a right time) can have on a player's career, as well as the direction of a franchise.

When last seen in the majors, Flores was hitting .301/.371/.505 as a starter through his first 29 games of the 2009 season; that spring, we'd called him the Nationals' “best backstop, for now and into the future,” and it was difficult to foresee how he might be dislodged from that privileged position. Upon returning from shoulder surgery that claimed the remainder of his 2009 and the entirety of his 2010, he now finds himself playing third fiddle to a desiccated veteran and Ramos (who's three years his junior and essentially a more talented version of what Flores was two years ago), both of whom walked through a door opened by Flores' injury. Had Flores not been hurt, he could have solidified his hold on the starting job, saved the Nats the expense of employing a diminished Rodriguez, and allowed them to acquire a prospect other than Ramos to fill a more pressing need.

As it is, Flores is unlikely to play a role on the team even when Pudge departs, what with Ramos in place and Derek Norris in Double-A. That's how quickly a career can turn, but at least Flores is young enough to salvage a future elsewhere. The Nats' curious decision to promote him may be motivated more by a desire to showcase him as trade bait than to make use of his bat off the bench. If Flores were fitted for pinstripes, maybe Martin could enjoy a little R&R.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
One issue with the idea of showcasing Flores for trade is that keeping him on the bench, not catching and barely pinch hitting, is not the best way of interesting another team in trading for him.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
He has to actually get in a game to be showcased.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
He has to actually get in a game to be showcased.

Right.

One issue with the idea of showcasing Flores for trade is that keeping him on the bench, not catching and barely pinch hitting, is not the best way of interesting another team in trading for him.

True 'nuff.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Right.

True 'nuff.
Yes, but I said it with more words.  Don't we have a word count challenge?

Offline GNatsNoMore

no worries.

Even worse, he might sneeze.

Offline houston-nat

Yes, but I said it with more words.  Don't we have a word count challenge?

Well, he agreed with Linty using 1 word and he agreed with you using 2.