Author Topic: Nationals vs Mets, Game 2  (Read 11156 times)

Offline nats2playoffs

Re: Nationals vs Mets, Game 2
« Reply #150: June 06, 2009, 09:17:11 PM »

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #151: June 06, 2009, 09:18:00 PM »
Good suggestion for the obscenity filter... Mets fan = classless buffoon. After all, "Mets fan" is an obscenity.  ;)
Yeah we were hating on him for most of the game.  What a classless buffoon.

Offline HerndonNat

• FSU Football
« Reply #152: June 06, 2009, 09:18:24 PM »

I started the game with my laptop turned off and after putting up 3 runs in the first I sure as hell wasn't going to jinx things and get on the internet   ;)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #153: June 06, 2009, 09:24:18 PM »
It's sort of comical listening to Manny describe good pitching and good defense as "weird" and "unusual."

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #154: June 06, 2009, 09:25:46 PM »
How many reporters do you think are at these pressers?

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #155: June 06, 2009, 09:26:37 PM »
:rofl: at the Mets fans chanting "MVP" at Knight

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #156: June 06, 2009, 09:29:22 PM »
Dukes talked to the media?  :shock:

Offline HerndonNat

• FSU Football
« Reply #157: June 06, 2009, 09:32:38 PM »
:rofl: at the Mets fans chanting "MVP" at Knight

I was wondering who they were referring to.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #158: June 06, 2009, 10:35:32 PM »
Got back from dinner, great win! Does Lannan count as getting a CG SO (9 ER, 0 runs)

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #159: June 06, 2009, 10:49:30 PM »
Good game tonight. After dealing with a lot of rain at the park this week, it was nice to have not only a dry game, but see a good, well-played game. The offense and defense both came out tonight, and Lannan took advantage. It was good karma to get the opposition to botch the baserunning to turn what could have put runners on the corners or 2nd&3rd with no outs into a double play. Usually we do crap like that. Nice play pretty much all around. A few mental lapses, but the team more than made up for them which is unusual. So glad the team didn't let the Mets back into the game.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #160: June 06, 2009, 11:00:51 PM »
Awesome game! Glad Lannan got a complete game. Too bad I missed the whole thing ... I don't think I've followed a Nationals win on this forum in weeks.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #161: June 06, 2009, 11:36:43 PM »

Guy was so freaking annoying. I hate HD sometimes, being able to see all these donkeys with the nice seats.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #162: June 06, 2009, 11:52:30 PM »
Beautiful night, crowd overstuffed with Mets fans who all shuffled back to their shanties after the 8th inning. The beer lady was screaming "Welcome to NatsTown" (and sure adding "nages" under her breath) at all the Mets fans - I gave her a huge thumbs up.

What a difference to see a team firing on all cylinders ,but I almost had a conniption fit when I saw Colome warming up in the bullpen. He's just the guy to give up 6 runs :roll:

We finally found a manager dumber than Manny - Jerry Manuel looked like he didn't know the rules of baseball after Emil Brown got himself out and stood at 2nd like an oaf.

Emil Brown was DFA'd by the way. At least Omar has the balls to get rid of a no-account player after a wretched performance.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #163: June 06, 2009, 11:54:42 PM »
P.S. An amiable Mets fan saw that Wil Nieves had grounded out to 3rd, short, and 2nd, and quipped "One more and he's got the cycle" - that drew a big guffaw.

Dukes had the game of his life until the error, and I wanted to buy Nick some sunglasses after he dropped that foul ball, but I'm gonna let it slide. This was a glorious win.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #164: June 06, 2009, 11:54:57 PM »
Thank the dark gods this was game my father wanted to go to see. I was in hanging in 313 and enjoying the hell out of the game. At one point, late in the game, the Mets fans actually started cheering. We crushed their poor little souls with chats of "Double Play! Double Play!". Amazing they scurried away like cockroaches.

Thank you John Lannan! Stellar game.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #165: June 07, 2009, 01:44:43 AM »
aw freak.

I had a great night until 20 minutes ago.

I pre gamed for the nats game, got there in time for zimmys rbi single and there on. after the 2 hr game i went to see the hangover, great movie btw. After leaving the theatre and my friend dropping me off, I realized I didnt have my wallet and the theater closed. Im freaked!!!!!

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #166: June 07, 2009, 08:28:06 AM »
Lannan's due for an 8 inning 2 hitter.  In a 5-0 Nats win!!!
   We hope!!!

Good call! I only got to see the last out and couldn't believe my eyes that Lannan was pitching a complete game and the Nats were kicking tail. Must've been a great day at the park, fantastic weather, good crowd and a Nats win.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #167: June 07, 2009, 08:38:52 AM »
http://www.nypost.com/seven/06072009/sports/mets/maine_gets_pounded_by_last_place_washing_172934.htm

MAINE GETS POUNDED BY LAST-PLACE WASHINGTON
NATIONALS 7 METS 1

By BART HUBBUCH

WHAT HAPPENED? Jerry Manuel (above) argues with umpires after a double play in the fourth inning (inset) after Emil Brown (left inset) and Luis Castillo passed one another on the basepath during the Mets' 7-1 loss to the Nationals.

Last updated: 8:05 am
June 7, 2009

WASHINGTON -- John Maine has had better days, and the same goes for the Mets.

Both were so awful here last night that even the Nationals -- otherwise known as the worst team in baseball by a mile -- had no problem strolling to a 7-1 win at Nationals Park.

Mets Blog

At least the latest Mets' misery on what has become an unexpected road trip from hell didn't last long as Long Island native John Lannan needed just two hours to polish off his first career complete game.

The Mets have now dropped four of five on this week-long trek to bottom-feeders Pittsburgh and Washington, and this was easily the worst of the lot.

When the 15-39 Nationals -- on pace to challenge the 1962 Mets for the worst record ever -- weren't bashing Maine's batting-practice fastball, Lannan was mowing down what amounted to a Triple-A lineup from Jerry Manuel's injury-ravaged club.

While Washington was hitting three homers off Maine (5-4), the Mets were hitting into a Nationals-record five double plays that included one of the oddest you'll ever see in the fourth inning.

"Not a good night," said Manuel, who got another unexpectedly horrific outing from a proven starter after Mike Pelfrey's meltdown in Pittsburgh on Thursday.

The biggest concern for the Mets last night was Maine, who was making his first start since being socked with a severe case of stomach flu that caused him to leave early from his previous outing.

Maine usually dominates the Nationals, posting a career 7-2 record against them coming in, but he was pitiful last night.

Maine made it through just four innings, giving up all seven Washington runs on six hits and two walks. That included three no-doubt-about-it homers by Adam Dunn, Nick Johnson and Elijah Dukes.

"John Maine might be going through a period of dead arm or whatever," Manuel said. "I just didn't see the electric stuff we've been known to see, and that's a little concerning when that happens."

Maine, who lost for just the second time in his past seven decisions, admitted his velocity is down but offered no excuses after lasting just 68 pitches.

"I had nothing today," Maine said. "I mean, it was awful. It was a waste of a day. I didn't have my legs under me. I tried to get something out of my fastball, but I didn't have it. It's a bad feeling. It's terrible."

Maine also admitted he wasn't at full strength physically after being laid up with the stomach virus most of this week.

"I'm not 100 percent, but I wanted to go out there and pitch," Maine said. "It was my fault. I made bad pitches."

While Maine was scuffling, Lannan was cruising. The left-hander, who began the night 2-5 thanks mostly to a season-long lack of run support, showed what he can do when finally given some backing.

The Mets hit into double plays in each of the first four innings -- with the capper a bizarre twin-killing that saw Emil Brown called out for running past Luis Castillo in the fourth -- then went down meekly until breaking through for an unearned run in the eighth.

Lannan induced 19 ground-ball outs by the Mets, who saw the top four hitters in their depleted lineup go a combined 1-for-13.

"He kept the ball down, they got a lot of double plays," Manuel said. "It was a simple as that."

Unfortunately for Manuel, nothing seems very simple for his own team these days.

bhubbuch@nypost.com

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #168: June 07, 2009, 08:53:50 AM »

Washington Nationals' Adam Dunn hits a two-run home run in the first inning of a baseball game with the New York Mets at Nationals Park in Washington, Saturday, June 6, 2009.
(AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #169: June 07, 2009, 08:55:15 AM »

Washington Nationals' Elijah Dukes, right, is congratulated by third base coach Rick Eckstein while rounding the bases after a one-run home run in the fourth inning of a baseball game with the New York Mets at Nationals Park in Washington, Saturday, June 6, 2009.
(AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #170: June 07, 2009, 08:56:35 AM »

Washington Nationals pitching coach Steve McCatty, left, reacts with pitcher Johnn Lannan after a baseball game with the New York Mets at Nationals Park in Washington, Saturday, June 6, 2009. Nationals won 7-1.
(AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #171: June 07, 2009, 08:59:05 AM »

New York Mets baserunner Luis Castillo (R) looks up at Washington Nationals shortstop Cristian Guzman (L) after Castillo was caught in a double play when he passed teammate Emil Brown on the base path in the fourth inning of their National League MLB baseball game in Washington, June 6, 2009.
REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst

:rofl:

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #172: June 07, 2009, 09:00:40 AM »

New York Mets manager Jerry Manuel (C) argues a call with umpires after the Washington Nationals turned a double play in the fourth inning of their National League MLB baseball game in Washington, June 6, 2009.
REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst

(was Manny taking notes?  :roll: )

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #173: June 07, 2009, 09:02:15 AM »

Washington Nationals second baseman Anderson Hernandez (top) turns a double play over New York Mets baserunner Luis Castillo in the first inning of their National League MLB baseball game in Washington, June 6, 2009.
REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst

Offline blue911

« Reply #174: June 07, 2009, 09:02:56 AM »
Dukes talked to the media?  :shock:

The Nats aren't shielding Dukes from the media anymore.