Author Topic: Follow The Prospects: Brian Goodwin, CF  (Read 52494 times)

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
Re: Follow The Prospects: Brian Goodwin, CF
« Reply #50: June 10, 2012, 05:06:00 PM »
i can't wait to see skole and goodwin up in potomac soon

Offline cletusvandamme

« Reply #51: June 15, 2012, 11:28:08 AM »
Goodwin is nothing like Hood. Being a good athlete doesn't mean their background was similar. Goodwin has always been a baseball player. Hood was a legitimate football guy. I don't necessarily want to say Goodwin was polished, but he definitely was much further down the developmental path than Hood. The gamble with Goodwin was based on some questions about him leaving UNC and sign ability, based on him being just a sophomore and potential top 10 pick the following year.

Exactly. Goodwin's advanced approach at the plate is enough to dispel any comparisons to Hood. The only questions I have about Goodwin at this point are around his defense. Everything else seems to be as advertised and on track so far.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #52: June 15, 2012, 11:38:15 AM »
Goodwin is nothing like Hood. Being a good athlete doesn't mean their background was similar. Goodwin has always been a baseball player. Hood was a legitimate football guy. I don't necessarily want to say Goodwin was polished, but he definitely was much further down the developmental path than Hood. The gamble with Goodwin was based on some questions about him leaving UNC and sign ability, based on him being just a sophomore and potential top 10 pick the following year.

As for Purke, definitely disappointing. We don't want to see any setbacks at all. But, we do know the Nats are being very cautious with him. Every pitcher has good and bad days with the arm. If there was any tightness or soreness, you know they're going to take it slow and shut him down. Hopefully we get some encouraging news soon about the situation.

Goodwin always struck me as more Carl Crawford than Hood. Unpolished is a great way to put it. Goodwin is a guy who has gotten by on talent alone. That will soon chance. The question will be can he adjust or will be another 5 tool prospect who never panned out.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #53: June 15, 2012, 11:39:03 AM »
Goodwin always struck me as more Carl Crawford than Hood. Unpolished is a great way to put it. Goodwin is a guy who has gotten by on talent alone. That will soon chance. The question will be can he adjust or will be another 5 tool prospect who never panned out.

Goodwin is doing great... are you sure you're not thinking of another player?

Offline Slateman

« Reply #54: June 15, 2012, 11:52:59 AM »
Goodwin is doing great... are you sure you're not thinking of another player?

Goodwin is playing Single A ball. Let's talk about it when he puts up the same numbers in Triple A. Of course, that will be two years from now and the question of whether or not the coaching staff can polish him up will have been answered.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #55: June 15, 2012, 12:38:21 PM »
Goodwin is playing Single A ball. Let's talk about it when he puts up the same numbers in Triple A. Of course, that will be two years from now and the question of whether or not the coaching staff can polish him up will have been answered.

a good measure of how polished a young hitter is is there bb/k ratio.  Goodwin has 24 walks to 28 strikeouts. 

Offline RD

« Reply #56: June 15, 2012, 12:44:28 PM »

I think what happens in AAA is irrelevant. Talking about him as a gamble during the draft and comparing him to a raw, two sport athlete is making that comparison on them at that point. Hood was raw, period. Goodwin needed work like all kids, but he was a pure baseball player with a feel for the game and awareness at the plate. If you tried comparing them at a higher level, I don't think a comparison fits either. Hood is a guaranteed corner OF that profiles somewhere in the middle of the lineup. Goodwin has a legit shot to play CF, and is a table setter.

I think Michael Taylor is a better Hood comparison than Goodwin. As draftees - kids with real tools but real questions about overall refinement. Hood was definitely more high profile but Taylor has big tools as well.

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #57: June 15, 2012, 12:46:16 PM »
a good measure of how polished a young hitter is is there bb/k ratio.  Goodwin has 24 walks to 28 strikeouts.
:az:

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #58: June 15, 2012, 01:25:28 PM »

I don't think any Nat has been 50/50  on bb/k since Nick Johnson. Maybe Lombo this year, but I haven't looked.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #59: June 15, 2012, 01:54:36 PM »
Hood came from HS and was more of a football player.  He's obviously behind Goodwin b/c the fact Goodwin played college ball, but I think both Hood and Goodwin will be fine. 

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #60: June 17, 2012, 09:54:50 PM »
Bump. Goodwin went 3/4 with a HR today.

Now on the season: .308/.429/.475 with 9 Doubles, 1 Triple, 3 HRs, 23 RBIs, 25 BBs, 28 Ks, 11 SBs, 3 CS in 120 ABs.

His advanced approach is very impressive. Look at those walks/OBP.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #61: June 23, 2012, 10:08:23 AM »
Why is Goodwin getting no pub in the National Media this year?

.305/.419/.492 in his first Pro stint is pretty impressive. Great plate approach, some pop, and speed too (11 SBs, 3 CS). Solid defense (only 2 errors in 33 games, and 2 assists).

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #62: June 23, 2012, 11:02:00 AM »
Maybe because the Nats were not aggressive in his assignment to Hagerstown?  He's a 21 year old first round pick low A.  He should be dominating.  He's right about on league average age.  Compare him to say, Alen Hanson, who is a SS, 2 years younger, in the same league, and a higher average and OPS.

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
« Reply #63: June 23, 2012, 10:18:36 PM »
Goodwin 2 HRs, 4 RBI tonight. 4 homers in his last five games.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #64: June 23, 2012, 10:23:35 PM »

Offline kirubel94

« Reply #65: June 23, 2012, 10:26:31 PM »
Curtis Granderson 2.0??? Same height and same weight, and their minor league path so far looks quite similar.

Here are the stats
Granderson minor league career http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=grande001cur
Goodwin http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=goodwi001bri

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
« Reply #66: June 24, 2012, 12:00:20 AM »
masnKerr: #nats on HAG OF Brian Goodwin: "He is staying short with his swing, front side direction is outstanding is not pulling off anything."

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #67: June 24, 2012, 12:39:40 AM »
this kid could be on the fast track

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #68: June 24, 2012, 01:21:00 AM »
Unfortunately there seems to be no fast track to the majors with the Nats unless you're Strasburg or Harper.

He should already be in A+ ball with the way he's swinging the bat.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #69: June 24, 2012, 08:52:32 AM »
Unfortunately there seems to be no fast track to the majors with the Nats unless you're Strasburg or Harper.

He should already be in A+ ball with the way he's swinging the bat.

Maybe they start him in Triple A next season.

IIRC, Zimmerman was fast tracked

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #70: June 24, 2012, 10:52:38 AM »
Nationals PR ‏@NationalsPR

CF Brian Goodwin went 4-for-5 with 2 HR, 4 RBI & 3 runs last night for Hagerstown. The '11 first-rounder is batting .415 his last 10 games.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #71: June 24, 2012, 12:24:33 PM »
Please find a spot for him and Skole in Potomac. Now's the time

Offline zoom

« Reply #72: June 24, 2012, 12:32:05 PM »
i am thinking DeRosa to nats, Skole to Potomac and Zim to the DL.  All at once.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #73: June 25, 2012, 11:34:27 AM »
i am thinking DeRosa to nats, Skole to Potomac and Zim to the DL.  All at once.

You forgot Nady to the glue factory. ;)

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #74: June 26, 2012, 05:16:41 PM »
You forgot Nady to the glue factory. ;)

Let DeRosa go arm-in-arm with Nady. Bring up Corey Brown (unless his hitting has disintegrated in the last two or three days...)