Author Topic: Yunel Escobar to Angels for Trevor Gott  (Read 7211 times)

Offline whytev

Re: Yunel Escobar to Angels for Trevor Gott
« Reply #125: December 10, 2015, 06:31:33 PM »
Escobar made 7 errors in 137 games last year and had a fielding percentage of .970.  Not Gold Glove territory, but not all that bad for a guy learning a new position...

Morse only made 1 error in 2012, and had a .992 fielding percentage in 2011...10 points higher than Danny Espinosa.

You gotta look at more modern stats. His range is terrible, and his arm was pretty insufficient.

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #126: December 10, 2015, 06:34:03 PM »
Went to an Angels board and one posted he wished the Angels had the pen the Nats now have, minus Papelbon.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #127: December 10, 2015, 06:48:28 PM »
You gotta look at more modern stats. His range is terrible, and his arm was pretty insufficient.
Talking to VARK about modern stats is like talking to Lady Gaga about modest clothing

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #128: December 10, 2015, 06:50:48 PM »
Wait, are you a moderator now?  :shock: did I miss the announcement??

:yesyes:

Offline aussienatsfan

« Reply #129: December 10, 2015, 06:51:03 PM »
I love Yunel, but like this trade, it's a smart deal. I will miss his passion and he had a great season. Problem I do have is we have now sure the pen right up, but have lost a #2-3 starter, have now lost offense in Yunel and Desi. Hope Rizzo hs a plan to bring in some bats otherwise  MI is a real concern.

Looks as though Turner is going to be getting the rest of his education in the bigs

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #131: December 10, 2015, 06:59:59 PM »
Talking to VARK about modern stats is like talking to Lady Gaga about modest clothing

:bow:

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #132: December 10, 2015, 07:00:34 PM »
Talking to VARK about modern stats is like talking to Lady Gaga Cher about modest clothing

VaRK will get this reference.    :)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #133: December 10, 2015, 07:02:21 PM »

And to think in the early days of this board I was considered one of the stats geeks.     :old:          :lol:

:?

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #134: December 10, 2015, 07:04:47 PM »

...and the beat goes on...  ;)

Offline Optics

« Reply #135: December 10, 2015, 07:17:29 PM »
Seems like a solid deal. We basically parlayed Clippard into a younger reliever, with a year worth of Escobar sandwiched in between.

Offline Expos

« Reply #136: December 10, 2015, 07:24:21 PM »
Seems like a solid deal. We basically parlayed Clippard into a younger reliever, with a year worth of Escobar sandwiched in between.

PTBNL announced:

Nationals acquired RHP Michael Brady and RHP Trevor Gott from the Angels for INF Yunel Escobar.

Brady, the 28-year-old owned a 3.77 ERA, 1.14 WHIP and 113/12 K/BB ratio over 119 1/3 innings at Triple-A Salt Lake this past season. A swingman, Brady could help the big club before the 2016 season is over.

Rotoworld.com

Rizzo does it again.

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
« Reply #137: December 10, 2015, 07:44:34 PM »
Advanced metrics don't much like Trevor Gott's work in 2015, but he was only 22, and now is only 23.

Very low major league K rate, but he struck out a lot of guys in the minors.

Good situation for a pitching coach upgrade

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #138: December 10, 2015, 07:45:33 PM »
Glad we got rid of Yuni before he turned into a pumpkin.
I agree.  Had a career year, and still was only a 2.1 WAR player. 

I really hated the defensive infield of Escobar, Desmond and Rendon.  It cost us a lot of runs against, and I think it is under-estimated how much it hurt our pitching.   Rendon at 3rd, Espinosa at SS and a good 2nd basemen would be a huge improvement.  But who is the 2b going to be?  Turner just looked way too green in his short time up to be counted on as a regular player. 

Offline whytev

« Reply #139: December 10, 2015, 08:13:02 PM »

:hysterical:

Lady Gaga is better than Scherzer?

Offline whytev

« Reply #140: December 10, 2015, 08:14:56 PM »
I love Yunel, but like this trade, it's a smart deal. I will miss his passion and he had a great season. Problem I do have is we have now sure the pen right up, but have lost a #2-3 starter, have now lost offense in Yunel and Desi. Hope Rizzo hs a plan to bring in some bats otherwise  MI is a real concern.

Looks as though Turner is going to be getting the rest of his education in the bigs

Espinosa had a stronger offensive year than Desmond. And he's a better SS. Relax.

Rendon moving positions makes that whole side of the IF much better.

I agree we need a decent bat at 2nd. Can't rush Turner.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #141: December 10, 2015, 08:35:36 PM »
And neither of them realize how much better it would be for us all if they'd just listen.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #142: December 10, 2015, 08:42:03 PM »
Espinosa had a stronger offensive year than Desmond. And he's a better SS. Relax.

Rendon moving positions makes that whole side of the IF much better.

I agree we need a decent bat at 2nd. Can't rush Turner.

Turner's done very well at every level and played better at the highest level as he got more AB's. The only reason to keep him down is for his service time. The kid's ready.

Offline whytev

« Reply #143: December 10, 2015, 08:57:08 PM »
Turner's done very well at every level and played better at the highest level as he got more AB's. The only reason to keep him down is for his service time. The kid's ready.

Okay, I do agree with you, but not getting someone means we're one injury (think Rendon) away from Difo starting and Bostick on the bench. Still would like to see someone in to replace Espinosa on the bench.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #144: December 10, 2015, 09:07:42 PM »
Okay, I do agree with you, but not getting someone means we're one injury (think Rendon) away from Difo starting and Bostick on the bench. Still would like to see someone in to replace Espinosa on the bench.
Of course. There are still moves to be made. They'll find those guys to fill those roles. The closer we get, though, the more convinced I am that Turner will be in the opening day lineup.

Offline whytev

« Reply #145: December 10, 2015, 09:18:03 PM »
Of course. There are still moves to be made. They'll find those guys to fill those roles. The closer we get, though, the more convinced I am that Turner will be in the opening day lineup.

Can we agree that if he is, he should be at 2nd and Espinosa at SS?

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #146: December 10, 2015, 09:24:19 PM »
Can we agree that if he is, he should be at 2nd and Espinosa at SS?

Why putz around with Trea? He's the SS of the future -- just let him play there. I think DE is a better defensive SS, but he's also a much better defensive 2, and has been playing the position for some time.

Offline dshawg77

« Reply #147: December 10, 2015, 09:40:31 PM »

Good post....my thoughts exactly. Good move here but lots of work to do yet.

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #148: December 10, 2015, 09:56:03 PM »
Great trade!

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #149: December 10, 2015, 10:00:05 PM »
So, when do we re-sign Desi?