Author Topic: A small gripe with the Ignore Feature.  (Read 8251 times)

MrMadison

A small gripe with the Ignore Feature.
« Topic Start: February 19, 2008, 12:06:25 AM »
You can still see the Ignored when someone else quotes them. :(

still shows their whole post, instead of "this user is ignored"

does the board software offer some sort of fix for that?

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Re: A small gripe with the Ignore Feature.
« Reply #1: February 19, 2008, 08:37:44 AM »
You can still see the Ignored when someone else quotes them. :(

still shows their whole post, instead of "this user is ignored"

does the board software offer some sort of fix for that?

We've had other people complain about this also.  :lol:

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #2: February 19, 2008, 09:28:04 AM »
I doubt the board software provides that capability.  The quoted text seems to be considered to be the post of the quoter (if that's a word).  It can be done, but it would probably be a fair amount of work.  It would have to parse the text of each post to see if it contained quote tags with a blocked poster within the first tag.  It would be a bit more overhead.

One thing I did see as an add on once was on a Marlins board.  If a post contained the text "Nate Bump," during the method when the post was recorded, it was changed to "Nate Freakin' Bump."

natsfan1a

« Reply #3: February 19, 2008, 09:32:09 AM »
I haven't noticed because I don't have anyone on ignore. :halo:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #4: February 19, 2008, 09:54:40 AM »
When we vote for forum award winners this year, there needs to also be an award for the "Most Ignored Poster".

I've got NOTLD and AirZimmerman in a dead heat at 4 ignores apiece, followed closely by Sportsfan with 3.  But everyone knows Sportsfan does his best work during the game threads, so timing of the awards is crucial.

« Reply #5: February 19, 2008, 10:28:57 AM »
When we vote for forum award winners this year, there needs to also be an award for the "Most Ignored Poster".

I've got NOTLD and AirZimmerman in a dead heat at 4 ignores apiece, followed closely by Sportsfan with 3.  But everyone knows Sportsfan does his best work during the game threads, so timing of the awards is crucial.

What can I say?  I'm infamous.  Some people just can't handle other opinions.

MrMadison

« Reply #6: February 19, 2008, 11:14:28 AM »
I haven't noticed because I don't have anyone on ignore. :halo:

I've got one, sadly.

I dislike the ignore feature, and I very rarely ever use it. You have to truly be a cretin of the highest magnitude, an annoyance of epic proportions to make my ignore list. 

generally I am very patient with people, but even I've got a limit as to how much self-righteous message board posing I can take.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #7: February 19, 2008, 01:01:45 PM »
I've got one, sadly.

You have to truly be a cretin of the highest magnitude, an annoyance of epic proportions to make my ignore list. 

:funny:  So we have at least one cretin in our numbers  :icon_mrgreen:

Are you guessing or are these the actual numbers? If so, sportsfan is not too bad right now. Wait until the season begins and we have a couple of bad innings  :bang:  I know that heated debate will start up again  :?

But how will everyone get to read the acceptance speech of the winner of the ignored category?

natsfan1a

« Reply #8: February 19, 2008, 01:14:10 PM »
But how will everyone get to read the acceptance speech of the winner of the ignored category?

:funny:

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #9: February 19, 2008, 01:32:18 PM »

:funny:  So we have at least one cretin in our numbers  :icon_mrgreen:

Are you guessing or are these the actual numbers? If so, sportsfan is not too bad right now. Wait until the season begins and we have a couple of bad innings  :bang:  I know that heated debate will start up again  :?

Somebody will quote it.  :?

Offline spidernat

« Reply #10: February 19, 2008, 01:36:47 PM »
Somebody will quote it.  :?

True. Some of the complaints in the game thread were about people quoting sportsfan's rants :rofl:

Then people will just have to identify the quoters and ignore them also  :lol:

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #11: February 19, 2008, 02:05:46 PM »
Yeah, 3 people are ignoring me.  It used to be like 5 or 6 though. 

Offline spidernat

« Reply #12: February 19, 2008, 02:07:07 PM »
Yeah, 3 people are ignoring me.  It used to be like 5 or 6 though. 

Don't worry it will mount back up in about six weeks.  :lol:

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #13: February 19, 2008, 02:22:16 PM »
Unfortunately the ignore feature is an add-on, and is currently somewhat broken, as is the board's internal upgrade mechanism that would allow me to easily update us to the latest releases of the software (though there aren't any major releases recently, just small fixes).  I really need to set aside an evening in the near future to backup the whole board and re-install it fresh.  I may have to look for a new ignore add-on at that time, as there are no updates for the existing one that I know of

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #14: February 19, 2008, 04:09:55 PM »
Unfortunately the ignore feature is an add-on, and is currently somewhat broken,

Chief, does this mean the integrity of the "ignore" stats are not intact?  We rely upon the stats in making our informed judgements on which posters have achieved the highest (lowest?) level of "ignore" performance, and if the numbers aren't reliable, we're going to have anarchy.   :shock:  :-[  :pray:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #15: February 19, 2008, 04:11:51 PM »
Are you guessing or are these the actual numbers?

Click on anyone's profile and you can see the total who are ignoring that person.  Sadly, Spider, you are not currently being ignored, and I think the hole is too deep to dig out of. 

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #16: February 19, 2008, 04:12:52 PM »
Kimnat shows surprising strength with 2 ignores to her credit.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #17: February 19, 2008, 04:22:26 PM »
Kimnat shows surprising strength with 2 ignores to her credit.

That's a funny one. Kimnat is one of our mildest posters.

Click on anyone's profile and you can see the total who are ignoring that person.  Sadly, Spider, you are not currently being ignored, and I think the hole is too deep to dig out of. 

I could go on a late tear in the coming weeks to catch up a little. Or I could fire my campaign manager :lol:

Chief, does this mean the integrity of the "ignore" stats are not intact?  We rely upon the stats in making our informed judgements on which posters have achieved the highest (lowest?) level of "ignore" performance, and if the numbers aren't reliable, we're going to have anarchy.   :shock:  :-[  :pray:

We may have to come up with a stat to define this one.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #18: February 19, 2008, 04:26:39 PM »
There are definitely some I'd ignore if I could do it for only baseball-related threads. Some people here are pretty consistent w/ their pointless posts in actual baseball threads.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #19: February 19, 2008, 04:29:55 PM »
There are definitely some I'd ignore if I could do it for only baseball-related threads. Some people here are pretty consistent w/ their pointless posts in actual baseball threads.

Why not ignore them altogether then? Or do they make solid contributions in non baseball related threads?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #20: February 19, 2008, 04:33:24 PM »
We may have to come up with a stat to define this one.

Humm, how about VURP?  Value Under Respected Poster?  You and I are currently at 0 (best possible score), while Kim is at -2 VURP (pronounced like "burp", but with a "v").

Offline spidernat

« Reply #21: February 19, 2008, 04:38:27 PM »
Humm, how about VURP?  Value Under Respected Poster?  You and I are currently at 0 (best possible score), while Kim is at -2 VURP (pronounced like "burp", but with a "v").

That's a good one but is 0 REALLY the best possible score or is it the worst? This may mean we are irrelevant and don't cause enough of a stir to encourage heated debate. I was thinking of PIMP factor for Probably Ignored by Most Poster but I think I like yours better. :lol:

Oh yeah, my 72 hours are up so it's open season on kimnat again  :icon_mrgreen:

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #22: February 19, 2008, 04:39:52 PM »
Why not ignore them altogether then? Or do they make solid contributions in non baseball related threads?

They do. :D

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #23: February 19, 2008, 04:48:04 PM »
That's a good one but is 0 REALLY the best possible score or is it the worst? This may mean we are irrelevant and don't cause enough of a stir to encourage heated debate.

Hah, I have a private message box full of evidence that I have been involved in a substantial number of heated debates, but MOST of the time I am able to maintain reasonably good relations with my antagonists.  There are very few people on this forum who do not offer up good stuff from time to time, though I may often disagree with or not like what they have to say. 

Guess everyone has their own pain tolerance level.

Offline spidernat