Author Topic: Gio to Nats  (Read 38766 times)

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Re: Gio to Nats
« Reply #600: January 05, 2012, 07:05:21 PM »
Stammen or Myers if he gets returned from rule 5.

Can we just get Peacock and Milone back?

Offline Ray D

« Reply #601: January 05, 2012, 07:22:02 PM »
Stammen is likely the best in-house candidate as of right now.

Where, pitcher or centerfielder?   I have no faith in him as a pitcher so I suppose it's as centerfielder.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #602: January 05, 2012, 07:24:34 PM »
Stammen is likely the best in-house candidate as of right now.

Stammen of the consistently 5+ ERA?  No thanks.  I like the guy and I know you're probably looking at fangraphs stats but for whatever reason it seems pretty obvious (to me anyway) that Stammen is never going to be good enough to hold even a semi-permanent spot in the rotation here, especially now.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #603: January 05, 2012, 07:24:54 PM »
I'd rather go with Stammen than Maya. And that's about the only two backup options the Nats have at this point.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #604: January 05, 2012, 07:25:12 PM »
I'd rather go with Stammen than Maya. And that's about the only two backup options the Nats have at this point.

Well okay, when you put it that way :lol:

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #605: January 05, 2012, 07:26:23 PM »
Gorzelanny

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #606: January 05, 2012, 07:47:59 PM »
Stammen of the consistently 5+ ERA?  No thanks.  I like the guy and I know you're probably looking at fangraphs stats but for whatever reason it seems pretty obvious (to me anyway) that Stammen is never going to be good enough to hold even a semi-permanent spot in the rotation here, especially now.

You're just jealous 'cause your gf thinks he's hot.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #607: January 05, 2012, 07:50:02 PM »
Right, because if I really cared, yelling "my girlfriend thinks you're hot" at him on opening day two years ago is totally how I would cope ;)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #608: January 06, 2012, 08:50:17 AM »
Optimistically, there's Det and Gorzo in the short term, and we can hope that among Purke, Meyer, Rosenbaum, perhaps Solis if he avoids surgery, one or two is available in the second half of the year for spot starts and to take over when Stras approaches an innings limit.

Really, this only matters if we are within a few games of the wild card in the second half of the year.  Otherwise, cannon fodder like Stammen and Maya can get you by.   If it matters, and we don't have anyone emerge, then we trade for an expiring contract.

[damn - oversteeped my tea!]

Offline Bloo

« Reply #609: January 06, 2012, 10:30:26 AM »
Stop hating on Craig Stammen. Your probably just jealous of his effervescent smexiness.

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #610: January 06, 2012, 02:41:16 PM »
Optimistically, there's Det and Gorzo in the short term, and we can hope that among Purke, Meyer, Rosenbaum, perhaps Solis if he avoids surgery, one or two is available in the second half of the year for spot starts and to take over when Stras approaches an innings limit.

Really, this only matters if we are within a few games of the wild card in the second half of the year.  Otherwise, cannon fodder like Stammen and Maya can get you by.   If it matters, and we don't have anyone emerge, then we trade for an expiring contract.

[damn - oversteeped my tea!]

Not happy with the options but your analysis is probably spot on except fpr Purke , Meyers and Solis at the midway, more like September is my estimate.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #611: January 06, 2012, 02:47:31 PM »
I don't believe Sammen or Maya can get you by.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #612: January 06, 2012, 03:21:08 PM »
If H-rod ever finds the plate then we could use Clipp as a sort of utility reliever where he goes in any time.  When he was a long reliever he would go like 3 innings and SO like 8 guys.  It was crazy

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #613: January 06, 2012, 03:23:57 PM »
right now, Stammen and Maya are the 8th and 9th starters, until someone better emerges.  I'm not sure anyone has better than replacement players for that slot, and i'm not sure very many teams stack themselves deeper with less questionable guys. 

There is the Big 3, then the second 3 (Lannan, Wang, Detwiler), then gorzo.  If Maya and Stammen are needed, we probably are in bigger trouble than a better option can help.

Offline Glockypoo

« Reply #614: January 06, 2012, 03:30:09 PM »
right now, Stammen and Maya are the 8th and 9th starters, until someone better emerges.  I'm not sure anyone has better than replacement players for that slot, and i'm not sure very many teams stack themselves deeper with less questionable guys. 

There is the Big 3, then the second 3 (Lannan, Wang, Detwiler), then gorzo.  If Maya and Stammen are needed, we probably are in bigger trouble than a better option can help.

I couldn't agree more.

Plus, I think we'll end up getting Meyers back from the Yanks.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #615: January 06, 2012, 03:32:33 PM »
Maybe someone addressed this but I believe we will only have Wang for this year. Who would replace him internally next year now that Peacock and Milone are gone. What if Detwiler flames in his role as spot starter / long relief?

I do not think Meyer or Purke are ready and we may find out in September. Is there any legitimate starters at Syracuse? I don't think so. We maybe in the FA market next year for a pitcher as well as a CF.

rosenbaum could be ready in a year.  he'll likely start in Harrisburg and get to Syracuse before the year is out

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #616: January 06, 2012, 03:52:12 PM »

1 injury or ineffective pitcher and one of Maya or Stammen is needed- Stras will be shut down, and you can't expect Wang to pitch a full season, that puts Detwiler and Gorzo in the rotation- what are the odds that we don't have to dig deeper?

Offline Glockypoo

« Reply #617: January 06, 2012, 03:57:30 PM »
1 injury or ineffective pitcher and one of Maya or Stammen is needed- Stras will be shut down, and you can't expect Wang to pitch a full season, that puts Detwiler and Gorzo in the rotation- what are the odds that we don't have to dig deeper?

You're right.

But I'd still rather have Gio in the ML rotation all year than Peacock and Millone in Syracuse waiting to pitch in case someone gets hurt or Wang and Stras are shut down in late August.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #618: January 06, 2012, 03:58:17 PM »

If we're in teh race at that point, we'll trade for someone in the last year of their deal.  If we're not in it, then we send Maya or Stammen out.

Adding another starting pitcher is probably near the bottom of the list of priorities at this point.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #619: January 06, 2012, 04:09:52 PM »
If we're in teh race at that point, we'll trade for someone in the last year of their deal.  If we're not in it, then we send Maya or Stammen out.

Adding another starting pitcher is probably near the bottom of the list of priorities at this point.

If we're really in it, not just might make the wild card, but in a division race with the wild card as a real possibility, I'd just keep on throwing Strass out there- I'd trade legitimate shot at a title for the chance he blows out his arm and we loose him for the last three years

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #620: January 06, 2012, 04:15:28 PM »
Do you do the lose/loose thing just to piss off Tom Terp?  Ha.

I wouldn't risk Stras' arm in that scenario. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #621: January 06, 2012, 04:19:33 PM »
I wouldn't risk Stras' arm in that scenario. 

I totally would- how often can you really guarantee that you have a shot? We have four more years of him, three after next year, so the question is would you risk his career (three years that of which I actually care about) for a playoff run- I would

Offline Ray D

« Reply #622: January 06, 2012, 04:24:42 PM »
Never happen. It isn't the team's decision to make, it's  "Doctors Orders".  His inning limit is part of his rehab. Meaning that if he exceeds it he puts himself at risk of ending his career.  The team simply does not have the option of taking that chance.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #623: January 06, 2012, 04:25:03 PM »
Maya pitching in MLB again == :hang:

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #624: January 06, 2012, 04:27:15 PM »
Maya pitching in MLB again == :hang:

I think we'll see him at somepoint this year if only for a start or 2