Author Topic: Ron Santo  (Read 766 times)

Offline Galah

• 2016 - the year that everything changed, again.

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: Ron Santo
« Reply #1: December 03, 2010, 09:39:31 AM »
This has been a bad year for beloved broadcasters

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #2: December 03, 2010, 10:11:10 AM »
I hate to be the one making a disparaging post only three posts in, but.......

Santo SUCKED as a broadcaster.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #3: December 03, 2010, 11:06:00 AM »
I enjoyed listening to him occasionally.  I'd have to disagree with Minty, for what he was, he was perfect.  Of course it would never work on a national game, but as a home team color commentator, it was great.  Cubs games will be very different with him not there.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #4: December 03, 2010, 12:30:09 PM »
I enjoyed listening to him occasionally.  I'd have to disagree with Minty, for what he was, he was perfect.  Of course it would never work on a national game, but as a home team color commentator, it was great.  Cubs games will be very different with him not there.

I should say that I have no problem with broadcast crews hired by the teams to broadcast the games to the local audience being homers.  I don't care.  I, in fact, think they SHOULD be homers.  There should be a distinctly different feel between a home broadcasting crew and a national broadcasting crew.  That wasn't my issue with Santo.

My issue with Santo was that he often sounded like he was liquored up during broadcasts - routinely.  His breakdowns and "color" commentary provided little-to-no insight whatsoever and frequently sounded like mumblings that John Madden would be proud of.  When he'd get excited by a play on the field, it sounded as though he was masturbating and getting ready for orgasm.  It sounded like amatuer hour on the radio.

While I don't expect impartiality from my broadcasting crews, I do expect professionalism.  Santo never sounded professional when I listened to the Nats play the Cubs or when I'd listen to a day game at work (naturally, rooting against the Cubs).  I always felt as though I'd rather listen to sportsfan882 broadcast Nats games over Ron Santo broadcasting anything.

He was a great 2B; but a great broadcaster he was not.

Offline EdStroud

« Reply #5: December 03, 2010, 12:33:31 PM »
I should say that I have no problem with broadcast crews hired by the teams to broadcast the games to the local audience being homers.  I don't care.  I, in fact, think they SHOULD be homers.  There should be a distinctly different feel between a home broadcasting crew and a national broadcasting crew.  That wasn't my issue with Santo.

My issue with Santo was that he often sounded like he was liquored up during broadcasts - routinely.  His breakdowns and "color" commentary provided little-to-no insight whatsoever and frequently sounded like mumblings that John Madden would be proud of.  When he'd get excited by a play on the field, it sounded as though he was masturbating and getting ready for orgasm.  It sounded like amatuer hour on the radio.

While I don't expect impartiality from my broadcasting crews, I do expect professionalism.  Santo never sounded professional when I listened to the Nats play the Cubs or when I'd listen to a day game at work (naturally, rooting against the Cubs).  I always felt as though I'd rather listen to sportsfan882 broadcast Nats games over Ron Santo broadcasting anything.

Minty he played thirdbase

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #6: December 03, 2010, 12:36:12 PM »
Minty he played thirdbase

Oops!  Typo.....

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #7: December 03, 2010, 12:37:52 PM »

I understand all that.  I'm not saying he should go into the broadcasters wing of the HOF, but for what he was, I found him enjoyable on occasion.  That's all.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #8: December 03, 2010, 12:47:57 PM »
I understand all that.  I'm not saying he should go into the broadcasters wing of the HOF, but for what he was, I found him enjoyable on occasion.  That's all.

I guess I just have high standards.  Won't be the first (or last) time I've been accused of being a snob.   :lol:

Offline soxfan59

• Gough, Gough White Sox!!!
    • John R. Russell, Ltd.
« Reply #9: December 03, 2010, 01:04:39 PM »

As far as the critique of Santo as a broadcaster, i agree wholeheartedly.  Ronnie was a tool.  Not only a bad broadcaster, but I think WGN and Cubs management played him for a fool in order to make the broadcasts more entertaining.  If you listen to how Pat Hughes guided him into some of the most inane conversations -- it was like putting your addled grandfather on the radio and asking him to talk about "the old days," or do a running commentary on soup or something. 

Here in Chicago, we shall also endure the endless crying and moaning about how Santo should have been in the hall of fame.

Part of my issue is I hate the Cubs and everything related to the Cubs, so I view Santo's radio career through a biased lens. 

He was a premier ball player in his day, and his battles with illness, particularly late in his life, make him an inspiration.  He loved baseball, obviously, and who can fault him for that? 

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #10: December 03, 2010, 01:11:11 PM »

Here in Chicago, we shall also endure the endless crying and moaning about how Santo should have been in the hall of fame.

Of the group of players who just can't seem to get in, Santo draws a fair amount of objective support for his candidacy.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #11: December 03, 2010, 01:19:30 PM »
Baseball Reference has him right on the cusp, but not quite good enough for the HOF.

I wonder if his death will push him into the Hall?

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #12: December 03, 2010, 01:23:49 PM »
Loved Santo the player.  Santo the announcer was Rob Dibblesque.

Offline Galah

• 2016 - the year that everything changed, again.
« Reply #13: December 03, 2010, 01:30:08 PM »
It's just a reminder of how old I am, I remember him as a player, never listened to him as a broadcaster.

I grew up on the Southside and went to college on the Northside - honestly, there was no in city rivalry in my day, neither team was ever going to play the other, so why get excited.

First time I ever cut class in college was to see the Cubs home opener from the left feild bleachers at Wrigley - Ron Santo, Fergie Jenkins, Billy Williams, Joe Pepitone, Jose Cardenal...great Americans - cold grey windy day at the ball park as I recall

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #14: December 03, 2010, 01:51:59 PM »
-- it was like putting your addled grandfather on the radio and asking him to talk about "the old days," or do a running commentary on soup or something. 

Um, kind 'o like Phil Wood.

Offline EdStroud

« Reply #15: December 04, 2010, 12:11:40 AM »
It's just a reminder of how old I am, I remember him as a player, never listened to him as a broadcaster.

I grew up on the Southside and went to college on the Northside - honestly, there was no in city rivalry in my day, neither team was ever going to play the other, so why get excited.

First time I ever cut class in college was to see the Cubs home opener from the left feild bleachers at Wrigley - Ron Santo, Fergie Jenkins, Billy Williams, Joe Pepitone, Jose Cardenal...great Americans - cold grey windy day at the ball park as I recall
Would that be 1973 vs Montreal (Nationals) Expos
http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1973/B04060CHN1973.htm