Author Topic: Food and How you Cook/Eat it (2009-2012)  (Read 97536 times)

Offline houston-nat

Re: Food and How you Cook/Eat it.
« Reply #1925: December 24, 2012, 09:21:31 PM »
Best Christmas Eve meal ever...burger with bleu cheese, bacon, fried egg, onion, and dijon.

All Points Bulletin, Dunbarton Blue is one of the most amazing cheeses I've ever tasted. I got it for Christmas Eve and my family plowed through a quarter-pound of it with ease.

Dunbarton Blue, a blue-veined cheddar created by fourth-generation cheesemaker Chris Roelli, has, in just a couple of years, become this creamery's flagship product. Roelli makes only about 70 seven-pound wheels of his new cheese each week, but the buzz has been startling to this former commodity-cheese producer.

"I never in a million years would have dreamed that it would have legs like this," he says.

Although natural-rinded cheddars sometimes develop a few blue streaks naturally, usually from unintended cracks in the rind, Dunbarton Blue comes by its veins intentionally. Roelli inoculates the milk with Penicillium roqueforti and pierces the wheels when they are about a week old to create the air channels that allow the blue to grow.

That's standard procedure. What's not standard is that he presses the wheels, a step that even Roelli describes as "unheard of" for blue cheese. Pressing compacts the texture, making it harder for the mold to find airways, but that's how Roelli keeps the veining under control and the flavors more approachable.

The Dunbarton Blue I sampled had a thin natural rind with plentiful mold and a golden interior, with just a little bluing near the edge. The texture was dense, compact and sturdy, like English cheddars but drier. It smelled of bacon and mushrooms, meaty aromas that signal a cheese with high umami, and the flavors nicely balanced sweet with salty.

http://www.sfgate.com/food/cheesecourse/article/Dunbarton-Blue-a-blue-veined-cheddar-takes-off-3245603.php