Author Topic: New Director of International Operations  (Read 2845 times)

Offline sportsfan882

Re: New Director of International Operations
« Reply #50: October 16, 2009, 04:01:36 PM »
I just don't understand how Galarraga's fluke '08 season means a damn thing. What good does that do for us now and in the future?

Who cares if he has a good season again? Why does any of this matter?

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #51: October 16, 2009, 04:03:45 PM »
I just don't understand how Galarraga's fluke '08 season means a damn thing. What good does that do for us now and in the future?

Who cares if he has a good season again? Why does any of this matter?
:lmao: Do I have to slow it down for you?  If we gave up more value for Soriano than we received, that means it wasn't a good trade.  So far, we have a full season of Soriano and a half-season of Zimmermann, which is admittedly more valuable than Galarraga's two ML seasons, but what happens if he rebounds nicely and Zimmermann can't recover from TJ surgery?

That trade doesn't look so good after all.

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #52: October 16, 2009, 04:06:11 PM »
Galarraga was so bad that the Tigers were forced to continue giving starts to Jarrod Washburn because they had no other viable option.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #53: October 16, 2009, 04:06:13 PM »
:lmao: Do I have to slow it down for you?  If we gave up more value for Soriano than we received, that means it wasn't a good trade.  So far, we have a full season of Soriano and a half-season of Zimmermann, which is admittedly more valuable than Galarraga's two ML seasons, but what happens if he rebounds nicely and Zimmermann can't recover from TJ surgery?

That trade doesn't look so good after all.
who gives a crap? what does that matter anymore? it's in the past.

What you are suggesting will likely not happen anyways. It's not like Galarraga has brilliant stuff and just had an off season. He has mediocre stuff and his first season was a fluke.

Offline PC

« Reply #54: October 16, 2009, 04:11:02 PM »
Do the Nationals have any Asian players anywhere in the organization?  Internationals means more than Latin.

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #55: October 16, 2009, 04:12:23 PM »
who gives a crap? what does that matter anymore? it's in the past.
I don't know.  Why don't you ask yourself why you care about the past so much?

You came in defending your buttboy Bowden, who's been a thing of the past since Spring Training this year. :rofl: That's how this whole thing got started.

Frankly, this has nothing to do with our international scouting, and this is as good a place as any to end this tangent.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #56: October 16, 2009, 04:13:38 PM »
Do the Nationals have any Asian players anywhere in the organization?  Internationals means more than Latin.
Naoya Washiya

14th round pick in the '09 draft. He hit .246 with 6 doubles, 1 triple, 14 rbis, 12 SBs, 0 CS in 40 games with the GCL Nats who won the Championship.

Naoya Washiya had to wait a little longer than expected before seeing his name in the MLB Draft.

News photo
Big plans: Naoya Washiya, who played on Komadai Tomakomai's title team at Koshien in 2005, hopes to make it to the majors with the Washington Nationals in 2 1/2 years. KYODO PHOTO

He doesn't plan on having to wait too long before breaking into the big leagues.

The Hokkaido-born center fielder was drafted by the Washington Nationals in the 14th round of last month's MLB draft and has a plan to hone his skills in the minors and hopes to make his major league debut in 2 1/2 years or less.

"My goal is to play in the big leagues, so I'm ready," Washiya said in a telephone interview with The Japan Times. "I think my starting point is that I get to the minor leagues. Then I want to play like 20 years in the big leagues.

"I was expecting to get drafted in the 10th or 12th round, then I went in the 14th. But as I said, my goal is to play in the big leagues so I have to work harder in the minor leagues."

As high as the bar he's set for himself is, D.J. Simonette, his college coach at College of the Desert in Palm Desert, Calif., said Washiya has the talent to see his dream reach fruition.

"Just being more consistent at the plate, taking consistent swings and for him to understand truly what kind of player he is," Simonette said when asked about Washiya's keys to success. "He needs to put the ball on the ground, hit line drives on the ground and create havoc on the basepaths. He's got to be more aggressive on the bases."

Washiya is the second Japanese player selected in the major league amateur draft, following Mitsuru Sakamoto, who was taken by the Colorado Rockies in the 24th round of the 2002 draft.

Within days of being drafted, Washiya reported to the Nationals' rookie team which plays in Viera, Fla., in the Gulf Coast League.

Simonette has had a number of his COD players drafted, but said Washiya has just as many, if not more skills than those players possessed.

"I think with his tools, he'll be in the big leagues in 3 to 5 years," Simonette said. "He's got an incredible baseball package."

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #57: October 16, 2009, 04:15:01 PM »
I still don't think they do, and this is where I really take issue.  We heard a lot about a commitment to scouting that region, and we saw no fruits.  That was my litmus test for the Lerners/Kasten.  It was clear, after we STILL didn't sign anyone notable from Asia, that they just like to peddle bullcrap.

Let's hope the Nats get more active in that market with the new regime.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #58: October 17, 2009, 12:17:38 AM »
Armando Gallaraga was also included in the Soriano trade.  A little more than parts (in spite of his poor year this year)

The Rangers waived him - sometimes fringe prospects work out.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #59: October 19, 2009, 06:46:40 PM »
congrats to Bobby Henley

WASHINGTON -- The Nationals have decided that Bobby Henley will be their Minor League field coordinator for the 2010 season.

Henley spent the past season as the manager for the Gulf Coast Nationals and Spring Training catching coordinator. Henley was also an extra coach for the Nationals in September of 2006.

What does the Henley promotion mean for Tim Foli, who was offered the job last month? He could go back to being manager of Triple-A Syracuse or he could have a permanent position as a Major League coach. He spent the last month of the 2009 season as an extra bench coach.

Foli nor general manager Mike Rizzo were available for comment.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #60: October 20, 2009, 08:59:13 AM »
congrats to Bobby Henley

Not this Henley?
http://www.songmeanings.net/songs/view/3530822107858627835/

Mojo Nixon should sing the National Anthem.

Offline blue911

« Reply #61: October 20, 2009, 09:21:11 AM »
Not this Henley?
http://www.songmeanings.net/songs/view/3530822107858627835/

Mojo Nixon should sing the National Anthem.

I'd settle for Elvis is Everywhere instead of Sweet Caroline.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #62: October 20, 2009, 09:25:46 AM »

Yes! 

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #63: October 20, 2009, 09:25:46 AM »

"Are you Drinking With Me, Jesus?" might not go over so well.

Offline blue911

« Reply #64: October 20, 2009, 09:35:23 AM »
"Are you Drinking With Me, Jesus?" might not go over so well.

Burn Down the Malls probably wouldn't sit too well either.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #65: October 20, 2009, 10:02:38 AM »
So, official WNFF trip to the next Mojo Nixon concert?