Author Topic: The Bryce Harper Watch  (Read 186772 times)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Re: The Bryce Harper Watch
« Reply #450: May 25, 2010, 11:37:29 PM »
He does not discuss the reality that if Harper goes back to school another year, and is again drafted #1, it would likely be by a team that will NOT pay him anywhere near what he would hope to get from the Nats.  The Astros, Orioles, or Pirates simply aren't going to break the bank.

Plus those teams suck noodles.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #451: May 25, 2010, 11:38:02 PM »
The Pirates wouldn't even bother drafting him.  I'm not joking.

Offline epic_phalanx

« Reply #452: May 26, 2010, 12:34:03 AM »
The Pirates wouldn't even bother drafting him.  I'm not joking.

He would immediately become their highest-paid player, at least three times over.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #453: May 26, 2010, 12:43:15 AM »
re: Harper potentially being a FA outfielder at age 26 -

if Harper lives up to his hype and potential, he will be signing a 10+ year mega-contract with the Nats before he turns 22.

book it.

if he is everything he can be, at the MLB level, he absolutely will not hit free agency before his 32nd birthday. the Nats would commit PR suicide to let that happen.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #454: May 26, 2010, 12:45:39 AM »
Boras clients always go to FA.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #455: May 26, 2010, 12:46:56 AM »
my hope is that BRYCE and his parents realize that he'll get monopoly man money right before he hits arbitration, and make Boras get him signed early, get Bryce on the field as soon as possible,  and get that clock started .

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #456: May 26, 2010, 12:53:35 AM »
Chief - this one won't. not immediately. I'll put my name on it.

IF Harper is as good at the MLB level as we think he can be, the Nats will buy out his arb years and push his FA year off till his early 30s with a mega contract.

if Harper lives up to his potential and becomes a Star in DC, and then files for FA before he turns 30 you can erase my entire existence on this board and I will start fresh with a post count of 0 and i'll start with whatever name you choose for 6 months.

I am THAT sure that he'll sign a mega deal to stay in DC and push back his Free Agency.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #457: May 26, 2010, 06:21:24 AM »
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2010/05/bobby_valentine_loves_bryce_ha.html#more

"He's 17 years old," Bobby Valentine marveled. "Never seen anything like that."

What prompted the latest round of praise was Harper's performance over the weekend -- hitting for the cycle in one game, and going 6 for 6 with four home runs, a triple, a double and 10 RBI in another. Valentine went out to Las Vegas to see him play in person, and he left impressed.

"He's that good," Valentine said. "Soft tosses from home plate, he hits it over the center field fence. He hits it 400 feet with soft toss, without any collision. He's big, he's strong, he has great athletic ability, as everyone sees. I think he's just another can't-miss. He's the best young player I've ever seen, and I only saw a glimpse of him."

:shock:

Offline CJames0569

« Reply #458: May 26, 2010, 08:13:37 AM »
He does not discuss the reality that if Harper goes back to school another year, and is again drafted #1, it would likely be by a team that will NOT pay him anywhere near what he would hope to get from the Nats.  The Astros, Orioles, or Pirates simply aren't going to break the bank.

This is why I think he will sign with us this year, and not to mention that it doesn't hurt having the opportunity to catch StrasJesus while you're here. The FO has experience in dealing with Boras, so I think we'll get this done in the same fashion as with Strasburg last year.

Also everyone last year was saying Stras would get crazy Dice-K type money, but it didn't happen and wasn't even close. While I expect Harper to set a record signing bonus and contract I don't see it getting north of $20 million, far from Chapman type of money.

« Reply #459: May 26, 2010, 12:18:57 PM »
Harper will be picked number one. Harper will sign with the Nats close to the deadline. Harper will become a Washington National and play for the Washington Nationals. Unless the Nats consistently put themselves in the position for playoff runs, Bryce Harper will become a FA and will go to the Yanks.

Book it.

The Nats hold their destiny in their own hands.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #460: May 26, 2010, 12:24:06 PM »
I'm ready to back the Brinks truck up to this guys house and stick him in RF right now.

The faster we get him to the bigs, the better.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #461: May 26, 2010, 12:38:43 PM »
Harper will be picked number one. Harper will sign with the Nats close to the deadline. Harper will become a Washington National and play for the Washington Nationals. Unless the Nats consistently put themselves in the position for playoff runs, Bryce Harper will become a FA and will go to the Yanks.

Book it.

Who cares? You don't avoid drafting the best player in the draft because he liked the Yankees when he was 15.

« Reply #462: May 26, 2010, 12:41:26 PM »
Who cares? You don't avoid drafting the best player in the draft because he liked the Yankees when he was 15.

Did I say anything about avoid drafting him?

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #463: May 26, 2010, 12:46:02 PM »

Book it.

I have news for everyone. If Strasburg sticks with Boras, he won't sign an extension either.

« Reply #464: May 26, 2010, 12:46:54 PM »

I have news for everyone. If Strasburg sticks with Boras, he won't sign an extension either.

It is quite possible.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #465: May 26, 2010, 12:47:40 PM »
It is quite possible.

Well, you have to be careful. He won't sign an extension. He'll declare free agency then the Nats have to be the highest bidder.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #466: May 26, 2010, 12:48:56 PM »
Did I say anything about avoid drafting him?

Then what's the big deal? We aren't the Red Sox or Yankees. The majority of stars we draft will jump to free agency, just like every other team in the league.

« Reply #467: May 26, 2010, 12:50:30 PM »
Well, you have to be careful. He won't sign an extension. He'll declare free agency then the Nats have to be the highest bidder.

The Nats are possibly taking on huge players so over the next few years they have to become larger than what they are to necessitate them. It will be interesting to watch.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #468: May 26, 2010, 12:52:13 PM »
The Nats are possibly taking on huge players so over the next few years they have to become larger than what they are to necessitate them. It will be interesting to watch.

Ahh, gotcha. I read this statement

to mean something else entirely. My mistake.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #469: May 26, 2010, 01:42:12 PM »
Lot's of people said that the Twins would never sign Mauer and Morneau, either. M & M had other agents, and the Twins had to give away Santana to do it, but they resigned. 

Getting the player in is the first step to resinging him.  SS in particular looks like the boss of his relationship with Boras.  There are a few who tell him, "negotiate hard, but this is where I want to be," and Boras respects that. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #470: May 26, 2010, 01:53:46 PM »
Lot's of people said that the Twins would never sign Mauer and Morneau, either. M & M had other agents, and the Twins had to give away Santana to do it, but they resigned. 

Getting the player in is the first step to resinging him.  SS in particular looks like the boss of his relationship with Boras.  There are a few who tell him, "negotiate hard, but this is where I want to be," and Boras respects that. 

I think Harper and Stras are different. I haven't looked up anything, but most of the disaster long term contracts I can think of are pitchers. I think you have a much better shot of getting productive years out of resigning a position player

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #471: May 26, 2010, 07:36:09 PM »

They do, but they don't sign extensions during their current contracts. That's what I'm getting at. They have to be re-signed on the open market.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #472: May 26, 2010, 09:44:32 PM »
What makes it so sure he leaves? If those two live up to their potential, we're going to be contending every single year. If we're contending, the the Nationals will quickly be considered a big market team since Nats Park will start booming in attendance with a winner. Washington fans, unless you're the 'Skins, abandon you if you're a loser and will sell you out if you're winning. We're not going to be some franchise that doesn't draw regardless. If we start selling some games out, the income will be booming, we're a big market team, and then the Lerners are the richest owners in baseball. You can't tell me it didn't disturb Lerner when the Yankees outbid us for Teixeira.

Strasburg and Bryce Harper will pay for themselves if they live up to their potential.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #473: May 27, 2010, 06:06:50 AM »
They already are the richest owners in baseball. Just sayin'.

Offline epic_phalanx

« Reply #474: May 27, 2010, 07:49:33 PM »
Signing Bryce Harper would be so huge for this franchise.  Signing him and Strasburg back to back puts you on the map as a free agent destination - it's about time we got serious about winning baseball.