Author Topic: Beer, Beer, and More Beer (2008-2013)  (Read 157986 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: Beer, Beer, and More Beer
« Reply #400: April 14, 2009, 09:17:07 AM »
Well, it's true - the Red Porch has some great beers on tap, such as the Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA and Bell's Kalamazoo Stout.  But I didn't see any good beers anywhere else but in the Red Porch.  The Red Loft had the same old crap from last year, as did all the beer stands we saw on the main concourse.

However, the Porch was having problems with their taps.  I actually stood in a line for 10-12 minutes to get a refill (inspired by Blue's leadership in ferreting out alternatives) and by the time I got to the head of the line, only the Bell's tap was working. 

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #401: April 14, 2009, 09:19:53 AM »
Bell's had one let the Turtle have a sip. He went and drank the keg dry. They never replaced the keg  :panic:

:-[

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #402: April 17, 2009, 07:20:59 AM »
The Red Porch was working fine last night.  But the price per beer went up there from $7.50 to $8.50.  The bartender wasn't surprised, given the demand so far.  Even after just 2 games.

Also, there are some good beers on the right field side on the first level.  Wild Goose IPA, Fordham's Copperhead, and other good microbrews.  It was in a Baseline Brews stand.  Strange thing though - the left side of the stadium had an awful selection.

Has anyone looked at the upper levels ?  :worship:

However, the Porch was having problems with their taps.  I actually stood in a line for 10-12 minutes to get a refill (inspired by Blue's leadership in ferreting out alternatives) and by the time I got to the head of the line, only the Bell's tap was working. 

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #403: April 17, 2009, 07:44:57 AM »
The Red Porch was working fine last night.  But the price per beer went up there from $7.50 to $8.50.  The bartender wasn't surprised, given the demand so far.  Even after just 2 games.

Also, there are some good beers on the right field side on the first level.  Wild Goose IPA, Fordham's Copperhead, and other good microbrews.  It was in a Baseline Brews stand.  Strange thing though - the left side of the stadium had an awful selection.

Has anyone looked at the upper levels ?  :worship:

Can I get cheapies and bring them into the Porch? Friends and family in 2 different sections means we are gonna try to hang in the porch. Or seat jump, judging by yesterday's attendance.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #404: April 17, 2009, 11:24:34 AM »

Can I get cheapies and bring them into the Porch? Friends and family in 2 different sections means we are gonna try to hang in the porch. Or seat jump, judging by yesterday's attendance.

Yeah, the Porch and Loft are open to anyone.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #405: April 17, 2009, 12:01:19 PM »
I'm not sure if you'll find cheepies.  Has anyone found beer for under $7.50/cup ?

« Reply #406: May 02, 2009, 10:43:28 PM »
I know this is definitely not a lot of people's cup of tea (beer) but Pabst Blue Ribbon is quickly becoming a guilty pleasure of mine. Down here in Southeast NC, it is definitely the cheap beer of choice. Every bar in Wilmington sells PBR $1-$2.50 depending on where you go. I'm talking the Tall Boys too and Jesus, you pound a few of those and you're off to the races.

Has to be in a can too. It adds to the white trashiness of it all.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #407: May 03, 2009, 02:12:35 AM »
I know this is definitely not a lot of people's cup of tea (beer) but Pabst Blue Ribbon is quickly becoming a guilty pleasure of mine. Down here in Southeast NC, it is definitely the cheap beer of choice. Every bar in Wilmington sells PBR $1-$2.50 depending on where you go. I'm talking the Tall Boys too and Jesus, you pound a few of those and you're off to the races.

Has to be in a can too. It adds to the white trashiness of it all.

I like their imprint, Jacob's Best. It sells in PA for like 75 cents a can, markedly cheaper than anything else.

« Reply #408: May 03, 2009, 10:09:35 AM »
I like their imprint, Jacob's Best. It sells in PA for like 75 cents a can, markedly cheaper than anything else.

We have that down here as well in the grocery stores (at least I've seen it there once or twice), but Wilmingtonians have their standards. ;)

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #409: May 04, 2009, 09:32:37 AM »
Up North we like to drink Lion's Head out of Wilkes-Barre. It's cheap as hell (~1 dollar a bottle) but tastes pretty good. Comes with a rebus puzzle under every cap!

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #410: May 04, 2009, 12:07:53 PM »
There was a change in the beer selection at the Red Porch this weekend.  They are having a hard time keeping enough Dogfish 90 minute.  So they plan on switching taps each homestand.  The Williamsburg brown was really good.  For us hopheads, they served the Arrogant Bastard.  But as much as I liked these, they are nowhere as good as the 90 Minute and the Bell's Kalamazoo stoudt that were replaced.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #411: May 04, 2009, 10:45:42 PM »
Of the cheap beers, PBR is by far the best. Did a blind taste test once with bud light on tap and PBR on tap. PBR tasted like one of those fine craft things in comparison. I'll try it against some other macros and let you know the results

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #412: May 04, 2009, 11:56:57 PM »
Michelob is good sports venue swill.

Of the cheap beers, PBR is by far the best. Did a blind taste test once with bud light on tap and PBR on tap. PBR tasted like one of those fine craft things in comparison. I'll try it against some other macros and let you know the results

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #413: May 05, 2009, 12:53:29 AM »

Tasty mother's milk of middle age.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #414: May 05, 2009, 06:56:02 AM »
Have you ever tried a Brooklyn Lager ?

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #415: May 05, 2009, 08:56:07 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Tasty mother's milk of middle age.

It's good, but it's a bit overrated as the "best beer in the world"

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #416: May 05, 2009, 09:03:31 AM »
Have you ever tried a Brooklyn Lager ?

really good simple well crafted beer, that anchor steam and boddington's are my go to when I just want good beer.

Offline blue911

« Reply #417: May 05, 2009, 09:07:13 AM »
I find that draft beer is the only "good" beer. But I end up in a lot of places where I wouldn't trust the glass is clean.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #418: May 05, 2009, 10:47:07 AM »
It's good, but it's a bit overrated as the "best beer in the world"

Best beer in the world is laughable. Too many variations.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #419: May 05, 2009, 06:50:15 PM »
Best beer in the world is laughable. Too many variations.

Yeah well it won that award. Proud Belgian friends told me.

On another note, the Leinenkugel's Home Run Ale in the Loft is tasty.

« Reply #420: May 05, 2009, 07:32:19 PM »

Love me some Leine's but never heard of this one. What is it like?

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #421: May 06, 2009, 07:19:38 AM »

BLEECH !!!  It tastes like an weak red ale that shows its true stripes - Miller Brewing Co.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #422: May 06, 2009, 07:21:54 AM »
BLEECH !!!  It tastes like an weak red ale that shows its true stripes - Miller Brewing Co.

I found it a tasty version of said weak red ale - quite thirst quenching. But it's branded Home Run Ale without the Leinenkugel's name - it's probably one of their other beers repackaged.

Not sure if it's bleechworthy :D

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #423: May 06, 2009, 11:42:25 PM »
Went to Gilly's Craft Beer shop (Rockville, near Twinbrook Metro) tonight, and as of tomorrow, they will have 120 and Troegs sunshine pils on tap as of tomorrow (plus all the usual bottled beers).  And that place is a block from my office...booyah

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #424: May 06, 2009, 11:50:44 PM »
Went to Gilly's Craft Beer shop (Rockville, near Twinbrook Metro) tonight, and as of tomorrow, they will have 120 and Troegs sunshine pils on tap as of tomorrow (plus all the usual bottled beers).  And that place is a block from my office...booyah

Troegs=PA beer win