Author Topic: Rays call out fans  (Read 723 times)

Offline hammondsnats

Rays call out fans
« Topic Start: September 28, 2010, 01:46:22 PM »

Offline 2IPAs

• Barbie luvs the Nationals!
Re: Rays call out fans
« Reply #1: September 28, 2010, 02:11:37 PM »
You certainly can't accuse them of being bandwagon fans.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #2: September 28, 2010, 03:03:54 PM »
I'll take Eva Longoria.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #3: September 28, 2010, 03:33:51 PM »
I have an idea that would generate good publicity.  Players treat night.  Longoria, Price, and Crawford should each buy 1000 seats for fans who show up with cowbells, Rays gear, or otherwise indicate they are Rays fans. Have a charity bin, and people can drop what they want when they claim the tickets.  The players get 30%+ off on their taxes for the cost of the tickets. I'm guessing the Rays have $10 seats, so it ends up costing something like $7K after taxes.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #4: September 30, 2010, 10:15:54 PM »
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Tampa-Bay-Rays-stars-call-low-attendance-at-home?urn=mlb-272868

They have every right to be mad about the low attendance figures.

Oh bull-crap!  They need to try putting their stadium in a better location, first of all.  Also, I couldn't agree more with Duk.  freaking rich, spoiled athletes telling people what they should do with their money?  Give me a break.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #5: October 01, 2010, 08:32:45 AM »
I would liike to see MLB buy out the TB lease of the Trop. Use some sort of borrowing or stadium fund.  My guess is that St Pete or the county could use an up front payment of a lot of bucks rather than stretched out payments through 2027.

http://floridaindependent.com/8905/amid-debate-over-tampa-bay-rays-future-in-st-pete-players-complain-about-low-fan-turnout
The statements by Price and Longoria about the Rays’ attendance woes are the first since the team’s owner, Stuart Sternberg, announced this summer that his club was no longer financially viable at Tropicana. He also vowed to search for stadium sites outside the City of St. Petersburg, with which the team has a lease till 2027.

Sternberg’s statements set off a political firestorm, with St. Petersburg officials firing back with plans to enforce the lease, which includes a clause that states the Rays cannot negotiate with any entity other than the city about possible stadium sites.

This is also a nice article about the lease situation.
http://floridaindependent.com/2773/law-professor-st-pete-in-strong-position-should-city-rays-dispute-go-to-court

From a Nats perspective, I suppose we would want the city to be able to enforce the deal with the Rays, much like Minnesota used its leverage to stop contraction.  From a baseball fan perspective, I think it is a problem for MLB to have one of its best teams incapable of sustaining itself. 

It's interesting, though, that with a proper location and more contemporary facility, the studies seem to support the Ray's viability in the Tampa Bay region, if not the current location and venue.  some sort of large cash payment up front, plus a commitment to stay in the area for 20 or so more years, ought to get a deal done.

Offline Nick the Pig

« Reply #6: October 03, 2010, 05:09:40 PM »
I'll take Eva Longoria.

Not after I'm done with her, you won't...

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #7: October 03, 2010, 10:33:39 PM »
Didn't the Rays fans hold a boycott several years ago?