Author Topic: Beer, Beer, and More Beer (2008-2013)  (Read 157961 times)

Re: Beer, Beer, and More Beer
« Reply #225: December 07, 2008, 03:58:45 PM »
Just shared a bottle of German beer called Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier.

This is the most insane tasting beer I have had yet. It literally tastes like I am drinking a bottle of bacon. There is a smoky bacon taste to this stuff, rich. I don't think I could finish a whole bottle on my own, but it's pretty good and pretty damn interesting!

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #226: December 07, 2008, 04:34:41 PM »
Just shared a bottle of German beer called Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier.

This is the most insane tasting beer I have had yet. It literally tastes like I am drinking a bottle of bacon. There is a smoky bacon taste to this stuff, rich. I don't think I could finish a whole bottle on my own, but it's pretty good and pretty damn interesting!

(Image removed from quote.)

Holy crap, the label says "Contains Malt Liquor!" It's not even beer :rofl:

« Reply #227: December 07, 2008, 07:01:01 PM »
Holy crap, the label says "Contains Malt Liquor!" It's not even beer :rofl:

Actually, my bottle does not have that written on it, but it has ALE printed in the bottom right hand corner of the label. The pic isn't mine, I just found it online.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #228: December 07, 2008, 08:34:02 PM »
I had Hogarden once and I thought it tasted like bacon. Didnt like it.  I've never heard anybody else say it tasted like bacon. And I never had it since.  I wonder if bacon taste is a defect. Try another batch

« Reply #229: December 07, 2008, 08:37:46 PM »
I had Hogarden once and I thought it tasted like bacon. Didnt like it.  I've never heard anybody else say it tasted like bacon. And I never had it since.  I wonder if bacon taste is a defect. Try another batch

I don't think it is a defect. I know there are specific "smoked beers" out there. I don't think the U.S. has any in production, most of them European.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #230: December 07, 2008, 08:42:36 PM »
The Hoegaarden you buy in Belgium is yummy, but the stuff here tastes different.  InBev (the world's largest megabrewer, incidentally based in Brussels) has bought up a lot of the small Belgian breweries and started producing export versions in mass quantities...I think Hoegaarden and Leffe are just a couple of examples.  InBev also brews a certain lager that sells extremely well in American ballparks, so perhaps that has affected the Hoegaarden export recipe.   

stuff you buy

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #231: December 07, 2008, 08:43:46 PM »
The Rock Bottom in Arlington once brewed a beer like that.  I took a 1/4 glass and mixed it with 3/4 stoudt.  It was ok, but not something I want to drink.
I don't think it is a defect. I know there are specific "smoked beers" out there. I don't think the U.S. has any in production, most of them European.

• babble on
« Reply #232: December 07, 2008, 08:45:18 PM »
Some German brewers have a "rauchbier" that's really smoky...awesome with sausages. 

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #233: December 07, 2008, 09:27:15 PM »
Some German brewers have a "rauchbier" that's really smoky...awesome with sausages. 

Saranac has a winter sampler that includes rauchbier. It's delicious.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #234: December 17, 2008, 07:23:32 AM »
After a scientific survey with sample size of 6, Brooklyn's Chocolate Stoudt was the winner of Young's Chocolate Stoudt by a 4 - 2 margin.

Actually, it seemed to depend on whether one likes a creamy beer (Young's) vs a beer with a little bite (Brooklyn).  But I like them both and I never would have tried Young's without the good advice of posters.  So thank you for the suggestions.

Would you say the Brooklyn Chocolate Stout is better tasting than Young's?

(Image removed from quote.)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #235: December 17, 2008, 08:59:17 AM »
After a scientific survey with sample size of 6, Brooklyn's Chocolate Stoudt was the winner of Young's Chocolate Stoudt by a 4 - 2 margin.

Actually, it seemed to depend on whether one likes a creamy beer (Young's) vs a beer with a little bite (Brooklyn).  But I like them both and I never would have tried Young's without the good advice of posters.  So thank you for the suggestions.

Haha, great reporting, Mathguy. 

Let's not forget to hook up so I can hand off the contraband. 

Offline Dave B

« Reply #236: December 17, 2008, 06:13:36 PM »

i have a bottle of young's in the fridge and i think three more brooklyns. i'm pretty sure i got hosed on the young's. it was like 4 bucks. also got something called st. peters. very strange looking bottle. that was pretty good. not as harsh as the brooklyn

Offline eagleskins

• BANNED FOREVER
« Reply #237: December 17, 2008, 11:45:03 PM »
Sam Adams Winter Lager is pretty good.  Even better that I get it for free from a friend of mine who is a distributor for them.  She usually hooks me up with 3 cases a month. 

Offline blue911

« Reply #238: December 18, 2008, 06:07:47 AM »
Sam Adams gives me gas. And not the funny "pull my finger" type but the " I think my appendix burst" type.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #239: December 18, 2008, 10:29:15 PM »

Not a big fan of the Young's. Has a hint of what I think cigarette ashes would taste like. 

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #240: December 18, 2008, 10:34:15 PM »
Not a big fan of the Young's. Has a hint of what I think cigarette ashes would taste like. 

Young's is a legit British brewery, and their chocolate stout is delicious. I will have no more of this.

Everything Brooklyn brews that I've tasted was delicious - liking them better than Young's is certainly acceptable - but enough with the trash talk :lol:

Offline Dave B

« Reply #241: December 18, 2008, 10:44:25 PM »
Young's is a legit British brewery, and their chocolate stout is delicious. I will have no more of this.

Everything Brooklyn brews that I've tasted was delicious - liking them better than Young's is certainly acceptable - but enough with the trash talk :lol:

Maybe i got a bad one. It almost sucks

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #242: December 18, 2008, 11:03:09 PM »

Long haul across the pond. See if the store will exchange it for Samuel Smith's :lol: If I wasn't so busy, I'd hit that Sam Adams winter sampler in the fridge that's calling me.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #243: December 18, 2008, 11:21:45 PM »
Long haul across the pond. See if the store will exchange it for Samuel Smith's :lol: If I wasn't so busy, I'd hit that Sam Adams winter sampler in the fridge that's calling me.

I already drank it. Should I puke it back up?

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #244: December 18, 2008, 11:22:09 PM »
I already drank it. Should I puke it back up?

For free beer, maybe?

• babble on
« Reply #245: December 19, 2008, 12:46:21 AM »
I've had bad ones.  But the non-bad ones are awesome.  Young's is a small exporter, and I'm sure that the odd case sits in a warehouse on this side of the Atlantic for way too long. 

Offline Dave B

« Reply #246: December 20, 2008, 02:07:28 AM »
I'd like to enter Fuller's Chocolate Stout into the Chocolate Beer contest. I dont know if it can be compared to the Brooklyn because it isnt 10% alcohol.  It has the nitrogenation which I like. Highly recommend. I also got it on tap so I think that helped

Seeing as this is something I've never heard of and I didnt really have it at some kind of bar with offbeat offerings, if this is an Anheuser or Molson Coors concoction, I will only drink bud and miller lite from now on. There is no beer god

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #247: December 20, 2008, 01:27:18 PM »
Oh Dave - please don't direct yourself to such a life of swill and refrigerated piss.

Anheuser owns Red Hook, Dominion, and some others.  I don't put those in the swill category.

So where did you have Fuller's on tap ?

I'd like to enter Fuller's Chocolate Stout into the Chocolate Beer contest. I dont know if it can be compared to the Brooklyn because it isnt 10% alcohol.  It has the nitrogenation which I like. Highly recommend. I also got it on tap so I think that helped

Seeing as this is something I've never heard of and I didnt really have it at some kind of bar with offbeat offerings, if this is an Anheuser or Molson Coors concoction, I will only drink bud and miller lite from now on. There is no beer god

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #248: December 20, 2008, 01:30:03 PM »
Fuller's seems a classy brewery - would love to try their ESB (or any ESB for that matter)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuller%27s

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #249: December 20, 2008, 01:36:33 PM »
It's winter and I'm pining for Smile's Old Tosser. Sniff, sniff.