Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Lucas Giolito, RHP  (Read 144121 times)

Offline Natsinpwc

I hope they didn't screw him up by changing his delivery. I would like to think that the minor league pitching coach was working on the advice of Maddux.

Offline Mr Clean

Mystery solved. Looking for good things from here on.

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
1. Lucas Giolito, RHP
Washington Nationals
Previous rank: 3
Current level: Double-A

The Nats' pitching coach at Harrisburg, Chris Michalak, decided to change Giolito's delivery this spring, which produced the subpar results Giolito had in April and early May. Fortunately, there doesn't appear to be any lasting damage to Giolito's stuff or arm -- just a delay in his arrival in the big leagues. He's still throwing hard with the plus curveball he has long had, but it might take a few more turns to get him back to where he should be at this time of the year.

http://espn.go.com/blog/keith-law/insider/post?id=5202
Why is our AA pitching coach changing a top prospect's delivery?

I'm assuming this is cutting out some background on input from the top.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats

No doubt.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT

The Nats have probably correctly determined that Giolito isn't likely to be needed this year for an extended period of time so any changes they want to make to his delivery would have to be done now.  Given that Roark and Ross continue pitching well, Giolito really isn't needed until next season and even then, only if the Nats don't pick up Gio's 2017 option, which seems absurd given how good he has been thus far (the last start notwithstanding).  Why not take the time to perfect the prospect the major league team doesn't need yet?  Makes sense to me.  And if he seems to get it together this year he can slot into Gio's spot in the rotation and the team can save $24 million over the next two seasons in preparation for Harper's megadeal.

Offline Natsinpwc

The Nats have probably correctly determined that Giolito isn't likely to be needed this year for an extended period of time so any changes they want to make to his delivery would have to be done now.  Given that Roark and Ross continue pitching well, Giolito really isn't needed until next season and even then, only if the Nats don't pick up Gio's 2017 option, which seems absurd given how good he has been thus far (the last start notwithstanding).  Why not take the time to perfect the prospect the major league team doesn't need yet?  Makes sense to me.  And if he seems to get it together this year he can slot into Gio's spot in the rotation and the team can save $24 million over the next two seasons in preparation for Harper's megadeal.
That's fine. Just curious as to what they are perfecting. And why.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
That's fine. Just curious as to what they are perfecting. And why.

I can't find many good videos, but from this ST video, he's pitching a little more overhanded, rather than rearing back.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
Elvir Ovcina may be able to chime in more (sounds like he was/is a pitcher).  What I'm seeing is a more repeatable delivery, with a bit more downward angle (not much) on his pitches. He's such a big dude, they probably want him to use more of his natural advantage to save some bullets (not that matters with curves).

Offline Mr Clean

Dealt tonight: 7 IP 4 hits 1 run 1 bb 6 K   Back on track for a visit to DC.

No more 'Taylor' Giolito.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
And most importantly, he got the W

Offline Mr Clean

And most importantly, he got the W
Actually I think Harper got the W.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
Actually I think Harper got the W.

You're right -- walk-off win tonight for HAR

Offline Monarch

he's the #1 prospect in baseball. he needs to be in the majors starting next season if not called up this season.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
he's the #1 prospect in baseball. he needs to be in the majors starting next season if not called up this season.

19 year old Julio Urias just got called up by LAD

Offline Natsinpwc

19 year old Julio Urias just got called up by LAD
That move smacks of desperation by an underachieving overpaid team.

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Nats pitching staff is much better than the Dodgers. Much, much better.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats

100% agree. I'd imagine it's only for a spot start. No way Boras lets him pitch more than 120 innings or so this season

Offline Natsinpwc

100% agree. I'd imagine it's only for a spot start. No way Boras lets him pitch more than 120 innings or so this season
He's listed as starting Friday night versus the Mets.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!

Well what more does he have to prove in the minors? I don't care if he's only 19. A 1 ERA and a K/9 over 9 in the Pacific League is amazing. He's ready.

Plus, the Dodgers don't care about money, so they can afford any money this may cost them on the back end if he pans out.

Offline DPMOmaha

Needs? Why? His performance will determine when he's ready. But with the way the rotation has performed, the need isn't there yet. His time will come. Patience, young padawan.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Needs? Why? His performance will determine when he's ready. But with the way the rotation has performed, the need isn't there yet. His time will come. Patience, young padawan.

Montero suggested a possible 2018 debut if Gio gets a new deal. There's patience, and then there's overkill.

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
I'd be happy if they could somehow give Giolito a cup of coffee this season without needing him for a long stretch. However, like Linty said, if he starts next season in the minors for more than a couple turns of the rotation then we've reached overkill.

Offline DPMOmaha

Montero suggested a possible 2018 debut if Gio gets a new deal. There's patience, and then there's overkill.
Yeah, two more years is probably a little much.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats

Offline DPMOmaha

Here's a full pitch sequence: http://www.milb.com/multimedia/vpp.jsp?content_id=738976883&sid=t547
After the 1-1 pitch, did the batter take a practice swing right handed then step back in and hit left handed? That was weird.