Author Topic: Must See TV Thread (2012-2014)  (Read 104050 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Must See TV Thread
« Reply #1350: May 15, 2013, 11:55:26 PM »
Better Off Ted is great - I think it was some fan on WNFF (maybe somewhere else) that finally pushed me to watch it. It's hilarious, and I personally like it better than similar shows such as Arrested Development.

Is it as good as The IT Crowd?

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #1351: May 16, 2013, 12:45:15 AM »
LO, would not be surprised if that was me. :D Several of my friends like it better than Arrested Development, too.

Is it as good as The IT Crowd?
Different kind of sitcom, I'd say - no laugh track, single-camera, pretty scathing satire of the things good people are willing to do for soulless corporations. Lovable characters, as much as in IT Crowd. I like Ted better, but they are pretty different.

Offline imref

« Reply #1352: May 16, 2013, 08:58:45 AM »
LO, would not be surprised if that was me. :D Several of my friends like it better than Arrested Development, too.
Different kind of sitcom, I'd say - no laugh track, single-camera, pretty scathing satire of the things good people are willing to do for soulless corporations. Lovable characters, as much as in IT Crowd. I like Ted better, but they are pretty different.

"did you try turning it off and on again" has become my standard response to all technical support requests.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #1353: May 16, 2013, 10:20:56 AM »
"did you try turning it off and on again" has become my standard response to all technical support requests.
Me too. Amazing how often it works.

Offline imref

« Reply #1354: May 16, 2013, 09:50:40 PM »
Absolutely fantastic last episode of The Office.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #1355: May 17, 2013, 12:37:25 AM »
The Office had a perfect ending.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #1356: May 17, 2013, 12:51:25 AM »
I enjoyed it. Nice ending that makes up for a weak last season. Very happy with the finale.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #1357: May 17, 2013, 12:52:31 AM »
Pretty good finale. Not great, IMO.

Offline imref

« Reply #1358: May 17, 2013, 01:06:34 AM »
Pretty good finale. Not great, IMO.

the big cameo was perfectly done, as were several of the smaller ones.  I agree with Linty, it was perfect.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #1359: May 17, 2013, 01:16:36 AM »
the big cameo was perfectly done, as were several of the smaller ones.  I agree with Linty, it was perfect.
Agree with imref and Linty, perfect conclusion to all the characters' stories. The special that preceded The Office finale was also good.  Good last season.

Offline Optics

« Reply #1360: May 18, 2013, 01:21:35 AM »
The Office finale was fantastic. I didn't cry or anything but I definitely felt emotional...

Goodbye Dunder Mifflin. :(

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #1361: May 18, 2013, 08:05:11 AM »
The Office finale was fantastic. I didn't cry or anything but I definitely felt emotional...

Goodbye Dunder Mifflin. :(
"I've finally mastered commitment!"

Offline maxcat07

« Reply #1362: May 18, 2013, 03:24:58 PM »
More than made up for a so-so last season.  Great finale!

Offline imref

« Reply #1363: May 18, 2013, 03:43:20 PM »
Favorite quote is "well well well well well, that's six wells"

Offline imref

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #1365: May 18, 2013, 09:02:45 PM »
Holy crap the series finale of  Doctor Who was insane!  Mother freaking John Hurt as the doctor!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #1366: May 19, 2013, 10:13:56 AM »
Does anyone else watch The League?

Offline Optics

« Reply #1367: May 19, 2013, 11:07:05 AM »

2nd funniest show on TV behind It's Always Sunny.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #1368: May 19, 2013, 06:28:13 PM »
Holy crap the series finale of  Doctor Who was insane!  Mother freaking John Hurt as the doctor!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Hmm... Not so sold. I watched it, and I had to read spoilers. Had to. I'm the type that goes in to anything I enjoy totally, totally blind. Can't stand having the best part of something ruined, but this? I had to know. So be warned, way bigger spoiler than yours for the 50th.

Apparently nearly everyone on the planet has agreed this spoiler is accurate. John Hurt is the 9th Doctor. It's also why we didn't see the 8th in flashbacks last night (Meaning we might get McGann in the 50th seen regenerating into Hurt.) John Hurt is the badass MoFo who unleashed the great death during the Time War. It was he, not McGann or Eccleston, who was the one that made the call. Thus, our current doctor is doctor #12. Which works out all groovy like, since he's apparently only allowed twelve regenerations before death.

I don't like it. It's a retcon, a cheap shot. It totally works, because there was that gap between 8 and 9 and 8 is the only bloke we never saw regenerate. Totally works. I just don't see the point. We know the Time War, we know the Doctor destroyed two entire species, so the big shock is he had another face doing it? Well, that and the '12th is the last' bit.

Me, I'd have preferred a Doctor Who Lovefest for the 50th. Get every living Doctor and Companion and just make an epic orgasm of Doctor Who goodness, possibly even out of continuity. My issue is this seems like a focus on the new Doctor Who- the post 2005. This is the 50th anniversary, and so it should celebrate all 50 years of Who, not the past eight (Time War, 9th Doctor, etc.) Of course some posit Hurt plays the first doctor, the Doctor before the Doctor, so who knows at this stage.

That we don't even get a Captain Jack Harkness appearance in the 50th is insulting. But we shall see come November... One thing I might not mind is if Hurt became the Doctor taking over from Smith for a couple seasons. Now that might be fun, a bold choice. I think he'd make for an incredible season or two, especially as lately they seem to prefer casting the young and attractive for companions and Doctors versus someone like Hartnell, who was what, nearly 60 when he played the Doctor?

Nothing wrong with Smith or Tennet, by any means, but I always see the Doctor as older and more mature, befitting his wisdom and age. Younger doctors play off more of the wacky and zany aspect, instead of seriousness and drama, so Hurt would be a welcome change to the show, if only temporarily.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #1369: May 19, 2013, 06:30:04 PM »

I watched all of Season 3 a few weeks ago on Netflix. So solid. I hope Season 4 is added to Netflix soon so I can be caught up for Season 5.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #1370: May 19, 2013, 06:35:45 PM »
Not going to read those spoilers unless I can't wait until November or whenever it will be shown on BBCA :lol:

Offline imref

« Reply #1371: May 19, 2013, 09:47:02 PM »
Great farewell the Stefan and Bill Hader on last night's SNL.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #1372: May 19, 2013, 10:00:50 PM »
It's almost never on. I didn't like the last season as much as the first two. But I watch it religiously.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #1373: May 20, 2013, 01:19:19 PM »
GoT continues to be awesome

Offline Coladar

« Reply #1374: May 20, 2013, 07:22:32 PM »
GoT continues to be awesome

Awesome, but slow. It's been dragging of late imo. The meat and taters of this whole saga is both Daenarys and the White Walkers/Winter's Coming, biotch. But so far? Heck, since Season 1 there hasn't been a lot of progress there, certainly not two years worth. Jon Snow didn't even show up this episode.

I've made a point to avoid the novels 100% until the show ends, as I'd rather get my shocks, have the twists and turns take place with the stunning visuals of the television series. So I've got no idea what'll happen, what to expect, and whether or not it drags in the books as well. I just wish we'd get more of a focus on the good stuff, less on the two Stark daughters who seem to have taken over the show. By far the least interesting characters and plot, the least impactful and significant to the story as I see it, and yet they're where the majority of screen time and progression has taken place of late.

I want Winter to come, and dragons to slaughter King's Landing. Here's hoping something crazy is still coming in S3, and I won't have to wait another year for something big to go down and alter the landscape of the GoT world dramatically.