Author Topic: Stanton gone!  (Read 5112 times)

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
Stanton gone!
« Topic Start: July 28, 2006, 07:40:54 PM »
Nats acquire hurler Martis from Giants

I think this move's importance is more towards unloading Stanton, but the pitching prospect is great too!  Good one, JimBo!

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
Stanton gone!
« Reply #1: July 28, 2006, 07:45:42 PM »

The kid's even got his own home page already and pitched a no-hitter in the WBC.  Looks like a good trade to me.

http://www.shaironmartis.com/

Martis makes history with no-hitter
by Eric Edwards
March 10, 2006

SAN JUAN, P.R.--Shairon Martis made history on Friday at the World Baseball Classic. Too bad no one was watching.

In a game between two teams already eliminated from the tournament, Martis, an 18-year-old from Curacao, a Dutch possession in the Caribbean, achieved something not likely to be repeated for a long time, no-hitting Panama in a 10-0 victory that was shortened to seven innings by the mercy rule.

A confluence of good fortune helped Martis close out the feat. He entered the seventh inning having thrown 57 pitches, eight short of the limit for the first round of this 16-nation tournament.

The official scorer was generous to him on a sharply struck ground ball to third base by Adolfo Rivera starting the seventh, ruling it an error, then Martis, perched at 63 pitches, got three outs with his final two pitches. He retired Yoni Lasso on a fly out to right field and getting Cesar Quintero to ground into a double play on pitch number 65.

Martis didn't strike out a batter, and walked one.

"It was special to do this in the World Baseball Classic," said Martis, the No. 28 prospect in the Giants system who pitched in the Rookie-level Arizona League last summer. "I had good control of my fastball."

Martis had 13 flyball outs and eight groundball outs in a game that was over in 2:18.

Dutch manager Robert Eenhoorn admitted that he thought Martis' no-hitter had come to an end on Rivera's groundball. "Yeah, I thought that was going to be ruled a hit," Eenhoorn said.

But that didn't take away from Eenhoorn's impression of his young righthander, who was 2-1 with a 1.85 ERA in 2005.

"He's a very exciting young pitcher. I told him (Thursday) that I think he's going to have a good, long career," said Eenhoorn. "When he went the second time through the heart of their lineup of (Olmedo) Saenz, (Carlos) Lee and Ruben Rivera, and the way he got them out--very experienced hitters that usually make adjustments in their second at-bat--that's when I first thought that he was going to be very tough to get a hit off of on (Friday)."

Panama, which came so close to beating both Puerto Rico and Cuba, used seven different pitchers and was never in the game.

"It was very difficult for us after the two tough losses we had it was very difficult to continue with the same drive and motivation," said Panama manager Anibal Reluz.

The Netherlands, overpowered by both Puerto Rico and Cuba, scored five times in the first inning against Miguel Gomez and former big leaguer Roger Deago. Gomez retired only one batter, allowing five hits and two runs. Deago fared no better, allowing a two-run double to. Dirk van Klooster, the first batter he faced--and the rout was on.

The Netherlands scored single runs in the third and fourth innings, and three more times in the fifth, bringing the mercy rule into play. The Netherlands finished with 17 hits, all but two of them singles.

Offline UMDNats

Stanton gone!
« Reply #2: July 28, 2006, 07:50:22 PM »
Sounds like the kid has some talent. Has an under-3 ERA for his career. And he's only 19.

Intresting that Stanton was the only one not involved in the Wetteland fun. I liked Stanton and hope he does well in SF.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
Stanton gone!
« Reply #3: July 28, 2006, 08:02:58 PM »
Wow, I didnt know Wetteland did what it says in the article!  I just knew that he was fired.

Yeah, great trade, this is exactly what needs to be done, getting rid of the old washed-up players.  Not that I dont like Stanton, but hes the kind of player the Nats dont need.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Stanton gone!
« Reply #4: July 28, 2006, 08:41:57 PM »
Quote from: "Nats19"
Sounds like the kid has some talent. Has an under-3 ERA for his career. And he's only 19.

Intresting that Stanton was the only one not involved in the Wetteland fun. I liked Stanton and hope he does well in SF.

Agreed.  Stanton is a class act, and a solid pitcher for us this year.  Maybe we can sign him again next season, and start the process all over again... :lol:

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Stanton gone!
« Reply #5: July 28, 2006, 08:42:09 PM »
I will miss Stanton and wish him well.  It's gonna suck not being able to make Jesus jokes anymore... though I have a sneaky suspicion we may see him one more time when we play at San Fran next week.

It does seem like a good trade, though.  Are they expecting to use this guy right away or will he be in the minors for a while?

Offline UMDNats

Stanton gone!
« Reply #6: July 28, 2006, 08:59:47 PM »
At 19, I would expect him to be in the minors for a while.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Stanton gone!
« Reply #7: July 28, 2006, 10:11:39 PM »
Martis is in his third year in the minors, (currently A ball) and according to reports, he's been improving steadily. He may still be a few years away, but by the time he is ready, he'll still only be 22 or 23 years old. This a very good deal, that will pay dividends in the future, possibly big dividends, we'll have to wait and see.

Ryan Zimmerman

Stanton gone!
« Reply #8: July 28, 2006, 10:17:58 PM »
What a trade. :P

Nationals0726

Stanton gone!
« Reply #9: July 28, 2006, 10:18:32 PM »
Sounds like this is a great trade for us? What can we expect from this kid a couple of years from now?

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
Stanton gone!
« Reply #10: July 28, 2006, 10:23:48 PM »

Ryan Zimmerman

Stanton gone!
« Reply #11: July 28, 2006, 10:30:29 PM »
Quote from: "Nationals0726"
Sounds like this is a great trade for us? What can we expect from this kid a couple of years from now?

He seems to have the ceiling to become a 4th/5th pitcher.

Considering we gave Stanton for him, that's a pretty good deal.

He's only 19 and playing in low A...so let's hope he does well in our farm system, will probably pitch for either Vermont or Savannah.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
Stanton gone!
« Reply #12: July 28, 2006, 10:36:47 PM »
I want him to pitch for Vermont! ;)

Offline ColtonWillems

• "You have no integrity"
Stanton gone!
« Reply #13: July 28, 2006, 11:00:10 PM »
Wow, this is the second time JB has unloaded Stanton for a young arm or two. I'm reading up on some Giants message board and they all hate the trade  :D

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Stanton gone!
« Reply #14: July 28, 2006, 11:05:58 PM »
Quote from: "ColtonWillems"
Wow, this is the second time JB has unloaded Stanton for a young arm or two. I'm reading up on some Giants message board and they all hate the trade  :D

It's all part of Jimbo's annual plan:

1) acquire Stanton during off-season
2) trade Stanton for young talent
3) repeat

:lol:

Offline LetsGoNats

• We're Nat Gonna Take It!
Stanton gone!
« Reply #15: July 28, 2006, 11:08:07 PM »
According to Baseball America's 2006 Prospect Handbook, Martis was the 28th ranked prospect in the Giants' organization.   They say he has a mid-90s fastball and his curveball has signs of being a solid pitch.  Throws slider and changeup as well.  Says he needs to work on his mechanics.  

Sounds like a pretty good move for us.

Offline LetsGoNats

Stanton gone!
« Reply #16: July 28, 2006, 11:09:07 PM »
That's a lame website he has, though.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
Stanton gone!
« Reply #17: July 29, 2006, 09:52:18 AM »
GREAT trade.

I'm one step closer to removing my Bowden Hater #1 Status.  He's doing well, now that he has real supervision.

let's see what he does with Soriano.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Stanton gone!
« Reply #18: July 29, 2006, 10:25:11 AM »
Quote from: "LetsGoNats"
According to Baseball America's 2006 Prospect Handbook, Martis was the 28th ranked prospect in the Giants' organization.   They say he has a mid-90s fastball and his curveball has signs of being a solid pitch.  Throws slider and changeup as well.  Says he needs to work on his mechanics.  

Sounds like a pretty good move for us.

Only 28th?  Not real impressive.  But that would probably put him in OUR top 5.   :oops:

Offline LetsGoNats

Stanton gone!
« Reply #19: July 29, 2006, 10:38:26 AM »
Quote from: "tomterp"

Only 28th?  Not real impressive.  But that would probably put him in OUR top 5.   :oops:

The same book ranks the SF organization's talent as 18th in the ML and ours as 24th, so he probaby won't be 5th for us.  

However, the writeup on him in the book looks like he has potential upside, so I think it was a good move for us.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Stanton gone!
« Reply #20: July 29, 2006, 12:20:34 PM »
Quote from: "Ryan Zimmerman"

Excusez-moi mon ami... But from what I've heard on the radio here, (way up in Canada) Martis' projected high side is as a middle of the rotation type starter. Of course, that might change before he gets the big leagues.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Stanton gone!
« Reply #21: July 29, 2006, 12:56:47 PM »
Quote from: "Kenz aFan"
Quote from: "Ryan Zimmerman"

Excusez-moi mon ami... But from what I've heard on the radio here, (way up in Canada) Martis' projected high side is as a middle of the rotation type starter. Of course, that might change before he gets the big leagues.

Humm, maybe there is room for agreement.  Middle of the rotation would be 3.  Slightly expanded, 2-4.  RZ says 4-5.  I see a 4 in both of these versions.  Can we all agree Martis has #4 potential, whether at the least or the most?

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Stanton gone!
« Reply #22: July 29, 2006, 01:45:51 PM »
Humm, maybe there is room for agreement.  Middle of the rotation would be 3.  Slightly expanded, 2-4.  RZ says 4-5.  I see a 4 in both of these versions.  Can we all agree Martis has #4 potential, whether at the least or the most?

I think, considering the Nats currently have six or seven, 5th starters on their 40 man roster, I'd be perfectly happy with a solid number 4 starter in the rotation. Right now, the Nats have a 1st or 2nd starter in Patterson, that is when he gets back, preferably next season when he's 100% and a 4th starter in Hernandez. He used to be the team's ace, but those years are all behind him, unless he gets smart and loses some weight, which would help his overall stamina as well as improve his health. But Livan wont, he thinks he's at his perfect playing weight now.

Offline ColtonWillems

• "You have no integrity"
Stanton gone!
« Reply #23: July 29, 2006, 03:02:38 PM »
Quote from: "Kenz aFan"

I think, considering the Nats currently have six or seven, 5th starters on their 40 man roster, I'd be perfectly happy with a solid number 4 starter in the rotation. Right now, the Nats have a 1st or 2nd starter in Patterson, that is when he gets back, preferably next season when he's 100% and a 4th starter in Hernandez. He used to be the team's ace, but those years are all behind him, unless he gets smart and loses some weight, which would help his overall stamina as well as improve his health. But Livan wont, he thinks he's at his perfect playing weight now.

And Colton Willems from what I've read is projected to be a solid no. 3 starter  :D

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Stanton gone!
« Reply #24: July 29, 2006, 03:33:38 PM »
Quote from: "ColtonWillems"
And Colton Willems from what I've read is projected to be a solid no. 3 starter  :D

I hope he turns out better than a number 3 starter, because number 3 starters rarely win ROY honors. He would need to move into the number 2 spot as the Twins Loriano, and Tigers Verlander have.