Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Alex Meyer, RHP  (Read 20540 times)

Offline GNatsNoMore

Follow the Prospects: Alex Meyer, RHP
« Topic Start: August 31, 2011, 10:49:55 PM »
i think you just did. :)

OK, I guess I did.  :lol:  So I better contribute something.

From Fangraphs 2011 Draft Scouting Report:

"Possessing arguably the highest ceiling of any player in this year’s draft, Kentucky right-hander Alex Meyer shouldn’t last long come draft day.

Standing 6’9″, 220 pounds, Meyer is an imposing figure on the mound. Throw in the fact that he features a fastball that can reach the upper 90s and a nasty, fall-off-the-table slider, and it’s easy to envision Meyer anchoring a big-league rotation down the road.

When it comes right down to it, I don’t envy the scouting directors picking in the 6-12 range who will have to make the call on Meyer. He has the size and stuff to be an absolute force in a big-league rotation, and he’s made encouraging strides over the last three years, but he’s still raw. While he could be great, you can see him as the type of pitcher who’s lack of command forces a move to the pen. While his fastball-slider combination could make him a shutdown closer, in this highly regarded a draft class, you’re probably looking for more value out of a top-10 pick. "

Interesting Facts:

•   He’s friends with John Wall
•   He just stopped growing this year
•   He’ll be the third tallest pitcher in franchise history
•   He “recently completed his junior season as the SEC leader in strikeouts (110), going 7-5 with a 2.94 ERA. He held opponents to a .222 batting average and posted 10 quality starts in 14 chances.” (see http://www.kentucky.com/2011/06/07/1766058/nationals-take-kentuckys-meyer.html#ixzz1WfFDA8cU)
•   Meyer pitched his best in May 2011.  He had a 1.61 ERA. SEC batters hit .210 against him and had a .297 on-base percentage in May.
•   Meyer finished his junior campaign as the SEC leader in strikeouts , innings pitched per game (7.21), complete games and complete-game shutouts. Meyer ranked second in the SEC in innings pitched and second in strikeouts per game (with almost 10)
•   Meyer still needs to work on his release point (and command).

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
Re: Follow the Prospects: Alex Meyer, RHP
« Reply #1: September 01, 2011, 09:08:30 PM »
I split this post off so that it is the first post of the thread.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #2: September 01, 2011, 10:45:23 PM »
Very nice moderation!

Offline GNatsNoMore

« Reply #3: December 04, 2011, 07:16:34 PM »
To update, Baseball America rated Meyer's slider as the best in our farm system.  On the other hand, they did not project Meyer as one of the five starters in 2015.  (Meyer was rated as the 6th best prospect in our system, while Purke, rated 7th, and Peacock and Cole were projected as three of our starters).

Here's something on adjustments made to Meyer's pitching mechanics from CBS Sports:

http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasybaseball/players/playerpage/1894638/alex-meyer

Nats tweaking Meyer's delivery: According to MASNSports.com, the Nationals are making a slight adjustment to prospect P Alex Meyer's delivery. Meyer, the 23rd overall pick in June's draft, is 6-foot-9 and struck out 110 batters in 101 innings of work at the University of Kentucky last year. "We made a small adjustment to his front side," Nationals director of player development Doug Harris said. "This will allow him to deliver his pitches more north-south instead of east-west. (Meyer) has a quick arm. The ball jumps out of his hand. This adjustment creates more angle in deception to his pitches, maximizing his natural height. If you imagine his delivery more as coming down like a ferris wheel, it makes it very difficult for the hitter to get anything on his swing."

(Updated 10/21/2011)

Injury Report
No information available at this time (Updated 12/4/11).

Fantasy Analysis

This adjustment has helped other taller pitchers in the past -- Randy Johnson included -- so only time will tell if Meyer's benefits from this new delivery. Washington will continue to watch Meyer and get him plenty of work heading into spring training. As of now, Meyer holds very little Fantasy value, but is worth keeping an eye on in long-term keeper leagues.
(Updated 10/21/2011).

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #4: January 31, 2012, 09:24:38 PM »
5. Alex Meyer, RHP
DOB: 1/3/90
Height/Weight: 6-9/220
Bats/Throws: R/R
Drafted/Signed: 1st round, 2011, University of Kentucky
2011 Stats: DNP
Tools Profile: Giant right-hander with giant arm.

Year in Review: After two years of struggles at Kentucky, began to harness his raw stuff and landed in the first round.
The Good: Meyer is a pure power pitcher. He's an imposing presence on the mound and sits in the low-to-mid 90s with a fastball that can touch 98 mph and features a heavy downward plane due to his size. He'll flash a plus slider and has some feel for a change. He's an intense competitor who worked hard to hone his raw abilities.
The Bad: Meyer's body and complicated delivery can lead to command and control issues. His changeup comes in a bit too firm at times and could use more velocity separation. He often racks up high pitch counts, and his overall package profiles better as a closer for some.
Ephemera: As a six-foot-nine professional athlete, it should be no surprise that Meyer was a four-year letter winner in basketball at Greensburg High in Indiana, earning all-conference honors twice.
Perfect World Projection: Dominating pitcher, but role is still up in the air.
Fantasy Impact: Either as a starter or closer, Meyer could be an early pick.
Path to the Big Leagues: Meyer has the potential to move quickly if he makes improvements at the same rate as 2011, although there is still much work to be done. He'll begin the year at one of Washington's A-level affiliates.
ETA: 2014

From the 2012 Baseball Prospectus guide.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=15894

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #5: February 01, 2012, 10:41:24 PM »
Closer. This guy screams closer to me.

But, Randy Johnson made a living.despite having only two pitches.

Online zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #6: February 01, 2012, 10:47:15 PM »
If Meyer can just get halfway decent control, then he's a stud

Online Slateman

« Reply #7: February 01, 2012, 10:54:45 PM »
So, basically, we drafted Henry Rodriguez 2.0 :D

Online zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #8: February 02, 2012, 06:19:46 AM »
So, basically, we drafted Henry Rodriguez 2.0 :D

pretty much :)

Offline R-Zim#11

« Reply #9: February 14, 2012, 03:29:21 PM »
Closer. This guy screams closer to me.

But, Randy Johnson made a living.despite having only two pitches.

And didn't have much in the way of control either...

Online Slateman

« Reply #10: February 14, 2012, 03:42:06 PM »
And didn't have much in the way of control either...

Eh, starting in 93 his walks went way down. He was also a lefty

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #11: February 17, 2012, 10:46:21 AM »
Little blurb in BA

It's not easy to intimidate 6-foot-9, 225-pound pitching prospect Alex Meyer, except if you're in the second grade.

Meyer, the 23rd pick in the 2011 draft, signed for $2 million and is keeping busy this offseason by substitute teaching. He's back home in Greensburg, Ind., where he's in the classroom two to four times a week. Meyer has mostly worked with junior high and high school students, but he eventually spent his first day in charge of a younger set.

"I was a little nervous, but it worked out fine," Meyer said. "When you have a bunch of second-graders, you have to have a detailed lesson plan and be on your game. We spent a lot of time on subtraction, and the kids were really great. At that age, they show teachers a lot of respect."

At Kentucky, Meyer came within a semester of a degree in agriculture.
The 22-year-old righthander throws as hard as 97 mph. He also has a slider with good depth and an improving circle changeup.

"He has nice feel for a big man," farm director Doug Harris said.

Meyer said his experience in instructional league last fall was beneficial.

"I started learning to pitch inside more," Meyer said. "I had never even pitched in a college summer league."

At Kentucky last season, he finally stopped growing and went 7-5, 2.94 with 110 strikeouts in 101 innings.

In preparation for his first minor league season, Meyer has a place to practice at his old high school, where he's helping with the freshman basketball team his cousin, P.J. Metz, coaches. He often throws with another cousin, Greensburg senior Kevin Meyer.

"I like to try and stay active," Meyer said. "I don't want to (substitute) every single day—I still like my sleep—but it gets me up and out of the house early."

Check out the bolded. They are saying he was still growing until last year? If so, that makes me more confident that he'll learn to repeat his mechanics.

Online Slateman

« Reply #12: February 17, 2012, 11:10:19 AM »
Thats pretty normal. Men continue to grow till about 23 or 24. Not much, but it is measurable.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #13: February 17, 2012, 11:13:38 AM »
In another article I just found, Meyer said he was growing an inch a year through his junior year. That's normal?

Online Slateman

« Reply #14: February 17, 2012, 11:16:29 AM »
An inch is on the excessive side. I grew an inch between sophmore and senior year.

Maybe he's got that disease where you just keep on growing?

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #15: February 17, 2012, 11:41:38 AM »
Well, supposedly he stopped. I'm just guessing that it will be easier for him to repeat his arm slot and mechanics now that he won't be growing at a quick rate.

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #17: March 13, 2012, 01:12:48 PM »
An inch is on the excessive side. I grew an inch between sophmore and senior year.

Maybe he's got that disease where you just keep on growing?

I grew about 4 inches between my junior and senior years in hs. I spent the summer with a limp due to issues with my hip. It was rough.

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #18: April 07, 2012, 09:05:35 PM »
In his debut looks like: 5 IP 2 Hits 0 Runs 4 Ks

Nice.

Online Slateman

« Reply #19: April 08, 2012, 01:50:57 PM »
I grew about 4 inches between my junior and senior years in hs. I spent the summer with a limp due to issues with my hip. It was rough.

I'm talking college. High school is a totally different story

When I was 15, I went to get my learner's permit. I put 5' but, honestly, I was about 4'10.5"

The next year when I went to get my license, I measured out to 5'7" :D

Offline Kentucky_National

• BANG ZOOM
    • My Twitter
« Reply #20: April 09, 2012, 12:48:11 PM »
Meyer came from my school so obviously I'm hoping he does well. He's a great guy with high character, and hopefully he can make it up here within the next few years. He has all the potential in the world.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #21: April 09, 2012, 03:58:05 PM »
In his debut looks like: 5 IP 2 Hits 0 Runs 4 Ks

Nice.

and no walks

very nice

Offline zoom

« Reply #22: April 09, 2012, 04:06:33 PM »
they have him on a pitch, right?

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #23: April 09, 2012, 04:13:18 PM »
Great debut by Meyer and I love that he didn't walk anyone either.  I think everyone knows this kid has the stuff to be a legit pitcher one day, the issues to be watched are going to be if he can keep the walks to a minimum and if he can remain consistent from start to start.  I wouldn't be surprised if Meyer saw around 8-10 starts at Hagerstown for around 50-60 innings before he got the bump to Potomac.

Online zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #24: April 09, 2012, 04:30:10 PM »
if those walks stay down he is going to be a bona fide ace