Author Topic: Movie Recommendations/Want To See List  (Read 167721 times)

Offline hammondsnats

Re: Movie Recommendations/Want To See List
« Reply #875: December 16, 2012, 10:44:30 AM »
speaking of ... what is everyone's favorite LOTR?

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #876: December 16, 2012, 10:45:45 AM »
LOTR sparked a lot of NZ tourism- if you like hiking/biking/paddling,  the scenery really is stunning

Absolutely, but I don't really get where it's just an advertisement. The scenery in the movie is just awesome.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #877: December 16, 2012, 01:13:36 PM »
the Hobbit was fantastic.  just saw it last night.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #878: December 17, 2012, 09:20:35 AM »
They are fairly flat and I'd imagine they'd work with your glasses although not perfectly. I wear contacts so I can't swear to it, but I've worn glasses with 3d glasses in the past and was OK if a little awkward.

Loved the movie, but I agree, I don't know how much "extra" 3D really brought to the table. First 20 minutes of the movie was kinda boring too, well, not so much boring as much as it was not really needed.

Ultimately decided to see the 3-D version based on comments from my brother about it not being an issue. Felt a little funny at first, but I had no problems at all, and I suppose it does make sense that the people who make the glasses know that an awful lot of people wear prescription glasses and would need the 3-D ones designed to accommodate them.

I very much enjoyed the movie, but I also understand why people who aren't Tolkien devotees might get bored or frustrated with the beginning. There's a lot of backstory and exposition relating to the history of the Dwarves that would likely leave the casual viewer a bit frustrated. I also wasn't too thrilled with the portrayal of Radagast. Nothing to do with the actor per se, just the way he was portrayed as a bit of a buffoon. He wasn't in the book, but he does make a very brief appearance in the Lord of the Rings when Gandalf encounters him on the Greenway en route to meet Frodo at Bree; Radagast warns Gandalf that the Nazgul have been seen west of the Anduin. The portrayal in this movie made him out to be a total flake. In the book, Saruman ripped on Radagast, and he does so in this movie too, but since the viewer presumably knows, from the other three films, that Saruman is not to be trusted, it's unclear why the producers went with that characterization. But that was a very minor issue.

I'm glad I saw it in 3-D because it was the first "modern" 3-D movie I'd seen, but I agree that it was hardly vital. Still pretty damn cool in a couple of the fighting scenes, and I thought Gollum's cave was well-done in terms of the 3-D aspect. I thought this would be an ideal one to make my first "modern" 3-D movie because I know the story so well, meaning that if I missed something because I was paying attention to the special effects or the 3-D it wouldn't be a big deal because I'd pretty much know what happened from having read the book many times.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #879: December 17, 2012, 09:28:18 AM »
Saw The Hobbit (2D) and enjoyed it.  I didn't get that "wow" effect that I had w/ the LotR trilogy - been-there-done-that, I guess -  but still enjoyable and looking forward to the next two (even though I can't believe they're making 3 movies out of it).

Aside from "too many Dwarves" (which I expected going in), my only complaint would be that some of the action scenes were a little ridiculous.  LotR trilogy had a few moments like that, but overall the fights were solid and believable.  Hobbit had entire fight scenes that were just over-the-top silly.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #880: December 17, 2012, 09:33:49 AM »
I wonder if the Silmarillion is next

Offline The Chief

« Reply #881: December 17, 2012, 09:39:47 AM »
I haven't read the Hobbit in a few years (and never read the Silmarillion) but I'm guessing they'll pull from it and other materials in order to fill out the other two movies.  I don't recall any of the Radagast scenes from the book, but again, I could be forgetting.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #882: December 17, 2012, 10:04:49 AM »
I haven't read the Hobbit in a few years (and never read the Silmarillion) but I'm guessing they'll pull from it and other materials in order to fill out the other two movies.  I don't recall any of the Radagast scenes from the book, but again, I could be forgetting.

He's not mentioned in the Hobbit—only in the Fellowship, the Silmarillion, and Unfinished Tales.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #883: December 17, 2012, 01:13:51 PM »
He's not mentioned in the Hobbit—only in the Fellowship, the Silmarillion, and Unfinished Tales.

That's what I thought.

I wonder if we'll see Beorn.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #884: December 17, 2012, 01:21:02 PM »

I'm excited, even though as of right now the plot looks extremely weird.  My 2 questions, "Spoilers" from the trailer: What, did Kirk kill his red-shirted crew (I doubt it)? Are they redoing this scene from Wrath of Khan : , however it looks like the roles are reversed, with Kirk dying and Spock looking on. (Plausible...)

Also who's Benedict (the bad guy) supposed to be? I've heard rumors that it's Khan (probably not, doesn't make sense), Gary Mitchell (possible), or a Q (makes no sense...)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #885: December 17, 2012, 03:20:58 PM »
Wanna see Jack Reacher  ...  primarily because it was filmed in Pittsburgh.    I've run into a few folks who are really into the novels.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #886: December 17, 2012, 03:37:13 PM »
Saw The Hobbit (2D) and enjoyed it.  I didn't get that "wow" effect that I had w/ the LotR trilogy - been-there-done-that, I guess -  but still enjoyable and looking forward to the next two (even though I can't believe they're making 3 movies out of it).

Aside from "too many Dwarves" (which I expected going in), my only complaint would be that some of the action scenes were a little ridiculous.  LotR trilogy had a few moments like that, but overall the fights were solid and believable.  Hobbit had entire fight scenes that were just over-the-top silly.

Wait, it isn't just one movie?  :wtf:

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #888: December 19, 2012, 04:59:14 PM »
Pain and Gain looks like it's going to be a lot of mindless fun.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #889: December 19, 2012, 05:02:42 PM »
Pain and Gain looks like it's going to be a lot of mindless fun.

Gratuitous man muscle. I can dig it. Looks fun.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #890: December 19, 2012, 05:03:24 PM »

I'm excited, even though as of right now the plot looks extremely weird.  My 2 questions, "Spoilers" from the trailer: What, did Kirk kill his red-shirted crew (I doubt it)? Are they redoing this scene from Wrath of Khan : , however it looks like the roles are reversed, with Kirk dying and Spock looking on. (Plausible...)

Also who's Benedict (the bad guy) supposed to be? I've heard rumors that it's Khan (probably not, doesn't make sense), Gary Mitchell (possible), or a Q (makes no sense...)

That last part of the trailer is totally a reference or at least a nod to the death scene in tWoK.  I cry evrytiem :(

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #891: December 19, 2012, 05:04:36 PM »
That last part of the trailer is totally a reference or at least a nod to the death scene in tWoK.  I cry evrytiem :(
Now is history going to repeat itself is the question - and I loved that scene in the original.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #892: December 19, 2012, 05:13:58 PM »
Now is history going to repeat itself is the question - and I loved that scene in the original.

Scene:  Funeral on Enterprise, everyone in dress uniform (except Simon Peg in a kilt and bagpipes)

Spock:  Of all the souls I have encountered in my travels, his was the most..... Vulcan.

Orders.., HUP!

Scotty begins playing VUlcan funeral dirge on bagpipe which fades into epic orchestrated version as Kirk's mortal shell gets torpedo'd into space

?

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #893: December 20, 2012, 10:55:37 AM »
Rewatched both trailers for Star Trek 2 and Zero Dark Thirty. Both look awesome.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #894: December 21, 2012, 08:51:00 PM »
I'll watch it just because of the Cera line.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #895: December 22, 2012, 01:40:22 PM »
I remember reading about that movie earlier this year. I'll probably see it. I hope this isn't them trying to hard though.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #896: December 22, 2012, 02:00:05 PM »
I really want to see this for some reason :lol:

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #897: December 22, 2012, 02:04:30 PM »
I haven't seen that trailer. I was definitely on board because of Arnold but this might be Day One. Arnold is the man!

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #898: December 22, 2012, 02:52:58 PM »
Saw Zero Dark Thirty today. Amazing movie.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #899: December 22, 2012, 03:28:56 PM »
How did you see it?

It's not on in Richmond or Lynchburg.