Author Topic: Movie Recommendations/Want To See List  (Read 167722 times)

Online HalfSmokes

Re: Movie Recommendations/Want To See List
« Reply #1950: September 08, 2015, 11:31:23 AM »
I like the book, but it doesn't seem like a good movie- Bill Bryson isn't likable, he decides to 'cheat' his way up the App Trail and then gives up.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #1951: September 08, 2015, 11:31:58 AM »
Goin' to see "Walk in the Woods" today.    Reviews indicate there's not much "there there".    Just what I need getting ready for tonight's game after watching yesterday's game.    Vapidity here I come.

lol, saw it this weekend and have to agree with the reviews and also Nick Nolte is kind of painful to look at, was sad remembering how gorgeous he used to be :(  but the scenery is GORGEOUS, we actually went to the start of the Appalachian Trail a couple of years ago when a friend lived near there but after seeing that movie I want to go hike that thing, I would say the movie is well worth it just for all the gorgeous scenes. 

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #1952: September 08, 2015, 11:32:28 AM »
I like the book, but it doesn't seem like a good movie- 

hey hey you should spoiler that, some people don't know the story!

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #1953: September 08, 2015, 11:33:24 AM »
hey hey you should spoiler that, some people don't know the story!

the movie could have a happy ending instead of following the book

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #1954: September 08, 2015, 06:34:04 PM »
I enjoyed "Walk in the Woods".   A lot of it spoke to my inner old man.   :)    I've never found Nolte's name on the marquee a reason to watch his work.   Never had much appeal to me.    Redford's work grew on me over the years.   I particularly liked "The Sting" and "Jeremiah Johnson" long after they were released.    So, I didn't go see the movie for the "stars".    Maybe it was the Appalachian Trail angle.   The depth of the movie reminded me of "Wild Hogs".    If you're an older guy, there are laughs to be had in "Walk in the Woods".

Maybe I liked it because the missus and I got in for $10.    Five dollar Tuesdays   ....

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #1955: September 19, 2015, 11:15:24 PM »
I saw "Black Mass" tonight and thought it was terrific, I of course knew vaguely the Whitely Bulger story but this really explained just what was going on and why he was allowed to get away with it for so long.  Johnny Depp was outstanding as was Joel Edgerton as the FBI guy, but really everyone was perfect in it.  Going tomorrow to see "Everest" in Imax, super psyched for it :woop: 

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1956: September 20, 2015, 08:37:25 AM »
I saw "Black Mass" tonight and thought it was terrific, I of course knew vaguely the Whitely Bulger story but this really explained just what was going on and why he was allowed to get away with it for so long.  Johnny Depp was outstanding as was Joel Edgerton as the FBI guy, but really everyone was perfect in it.  Going tomorrow to see "Everest" in Imax, super psyched for it :woop: 

"Black Mass" is on my list as well.    That was a pretty wild real life story.     Everest is next   ...   Imax   .....    3D.   Oh yeah.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #1957: September 20, 2015, 09:43:21 AM »
Meru. I mentioned it in another thread, but now that this one is bumped...

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #1958: September 20, 2015, 08:08:03 PM »
Saw Everest.  Wow.  I normally don't care for 3D, seems almost unnatural or something, but Imax 3D with this movie is AMAZING.  But I have to say that even though I read Into Thin Air and totally knew what was going to happen I was still just breathless watching the tragedy unfold, and I was terribly sad watching it realizing this really happened, these were real people :(  Regardless I would highly, highly recommend this, it is as close as any of us are ever going to get to experiencing what that climb is like. 

Also my Willenda-loving self was psyched to see a preview for The Walk in 3D Imax-I'd seen previews before and knew I wanted to see it but seeing those previews in Imax 3D? Omgosh I may have to have a glass of wine before going, SO intense looking!!

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1959: September 20, 2015, 08:23:10 PM »
Saw Everest.  Wow.  I normally don't care for 3D, seems almost unnatural or something, but Imax 3D with this movie is AMAZING.  But I have to say that even though I read Into Thin Air and totally knew what was going to happen I was still just breathless watching the tragedy unfold, and I was terribly sad watching it realizing this really happened, these were real people :(  Regardless I would highly, highly recommend this, it is as close as any of us are ever going to get to experiencing what that climb is like. 

Also my Willenda-loving self was psyched to see a preview for The Walk in 3D Imax-I'd seen previews before and knew I wanted to see it but seeing those previews in Imax 3D? Omgosh I may have to have a glass of wine before going, SO intense looking!!

I'm glad I never saw Imax 3D in the 60s and 70s.   

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #1960: September 20, 2015, 08:24:32 PM »
I'm glad I never saw Imax 3D in the 60s and 70s.   

You probably experienced the same thing...they just called it something different...

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1961: September 20, 2015, 08:25:18 PM »
You probably experienced the same thing...they just called it something different...

I was an astronaut in the 70s.    ;)

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #1962: September 20, 2015, 08:26:20 PM »
I was an astronaut in the 70s.    ;)

That was a popular occupation back then...I knew quite a few of them...  ;)

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1963: September 29, 2015, 04:10:06 PM »

Missus and I saw Everest (3D/Imax) today.    3D/Imax is the only way to see it.    Black Mass is next Tuesday.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #1964: September 29, 2015, 05:03:05 PM »
Missus and I saw Everest (3D/Imax) today.    3D/Imax is the only way to see it.    Black Mass is next Tuesday.

Did you guys like it?  Did they show the preview for The Walk?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1965: September 29, 2015, 05:12:16 PM »
Did you guys like it?  Did they show the preview for The Walk?

I've seen "The Walk" previews somewhere but I can't remember where   ...  it wasn't today though.   The missus liked the movie but it made her sad.     Then again, cartoons make her cry.    I thought it was good, being a true story but the 3D/Imax made it for me.   Not sure I'd ever watch it again, especially in regular format.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #1966: September 29, 2015, 05:17:51 PM »
I've seen "The Walk" previews somewhere but I can't remember where   ...  it wasn't today though.   The missus liked the movie but it made her sad.     Then again, cartoons make her cry.    I thought it was good, being a true story but the 3D/Imax made it for me.   Not sure I'd ever watch it again, especially in regular format.

The missus and I are in total agreement, it made me way sadder than I expected it to even after reading the book. It was extraordinary to look at though wasn't it?  The Walk is going to be the same I think, I'd seen the previews in regular format and thought oh cool, because I love wire-walkers :lol: but seeing the preview in Imax 3D?  Wow, I was gripping the armrests of my seat  :-[ it looked SO real!  Cannot wait for that one. 

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1967: September 29, 2015, 05:21:39 PM »
The missus and I are in total agreement, it made me way sadder than I expected it to even after reading the book. It was extraordinary to look at though wasn't it?  The Walk is going to be the same I think, I'd seen the previews in regular format and thought oh cool, because I love wire-walkers :lol: but seeing the preview in Imax 3D?  Wow, I was gripping the armrests of my seat  :-[ it looked SO real!  Cannot wait for that one. 

On the way out, I told the missus that Black Mass is probably a happier movie.

Offline Bloo

« Reply #1968: September 30, 2015, 02:05:27 AM »
The guy who directed the movie went to my school and spoke at my graduation.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #1969: September 30, 2015, 10:01:32 AM »
we're probably going to see The Martian this weekend if I can find it on IMAX (haven't looked yet).  After seeing Interstellar at Udvar-Hazy I can't imagine seeing that kind of movie on any other screen.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #1970: September 30, 2015, 05:55:06 PM »
we're probably going to see The Martian this weekend if I can find it on IMAX (haven't looked yet).  After seeing Interstellar at Udvar-Hazy I can't imagine seeing that kind of movie on any other screen.
100% agreement

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #1971: September 30, 2015, 09:03:02 PM »
It opens tomorrow at udvar. 

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #1972: October 20, 2015, 08:32:05 PM »
I'm gonna be so amused when the new Star Wars movie is a disaster like The Phantom Menace.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #1973: October 20, 2015, 08:33:08 PM »
I'm gonna be so amused when the new Star Wars movie is a disaster like The Phantom Menace.

I'm sure disney executive will console themselves with the piles of money it will make

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #1974: October 20, 2015, 08:37:37 PM »
I'm sure disney executive will console themselves with the piles of money it will make

This.  It looks like a total sack of dung but the Star Wars fanboiz and morons would flock to see their children in a snuff film if Han Solo made a cameo and you put a John Williams score to it.