Author Topic: Movie Recommendations/Want To See List  (Read 167716 times)

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Re: Movie Recommendations/Want To See List
« Reply #1150: April 15, 2013, 09:49:20 PM »
42 well worth seeing. One of the few baseball movies that get you to feel how hard a professional pitcher throws. Could feel the hits. Harrison Ford / Branch Rickey has great lines.

Washington baseball side-interest: Ben Chapman, the race-baiting manager of the Phillies, started one of the biggest brawls ever, called "the war at Griffith Stadium", when he spiked Nats 2B Buddy Myers. "If Chapman spikes me again, I'm going to step on his face", said Myers, but instead, Myers kicked Chapman about six times. Fans joined in. DC riot squad called. Chapman punched a detective, got arrested.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #1151: April 18, 2013, 08:24:37 AM »
I give 42 a 9 on a scale of 1 to 10.  Harrison Ford was awesome, but of course he played the role of someone with the moral high ground.  So he had most of the emotional lines.  I give a standing ovation to the actor who played Jackie Robinson, for being able to make the audience feel the stress he was going through.  The only negative part was trying to figure out when to get to the restroom without missing anything in the movie.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #1152: April 18, 2013, 12:28:56 PM »
I give 42 a 9 on a scale of 1 to 10.  Harrison Ford was awesome, but of course he played the role of someone with the moral high ground.  So he had most of the emotional lines.  I give a standing ovation to the actor who played Jackie Robinson, for being able to make the audience feel the stress he was going through.  The only negative part was trying to figure out when to get to the restroom without missing anything in the movie.
there's an app for that.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #1153: April 18, 2013, 09:27:49 PM »
To honor the performance of Jordan Zimmermann (aka Zim-with-2 Ns), cable TV's Turner Classic Movies (TCM) is airing Here Comes Mr. Jordan (1941) at 10:15 pm tonight, Thursday April 18, 2013.

It's a romantic comedy-fantasy film in which a boxer, mistakenly taken to Heaven before his time, is given a second chance back on Earth. It stars Robert Montgomery, Claude Rains and Evelyn Keyes. It won Academy Awards for Best Writing, Original Story and Best Writing, Screenplay. It was nominated for Best Actor in a Leading Role (Robert Montgomery), Best Actor in a Supporting Role (James Gleason), Best Cinematography, Black-and-White, Best Director and Best Picture.  Here Comes Mr. Jordan was remade as Heaven Can Wait (1978), starring Warren Beatty and Julie Christie.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #1154: April 27, 2013, 01:32:32 AM »
ha, watching WarGames on The Hub.

one of my favorite movies ever.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #1155: April 27, 2013, 01:51:28 AM »
Just unplug the computer.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #1156: April 27, 2013, 02:36:43 PM »
Oblivion was good if very predictable.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #1157: April 27, 2013, 04:51:24 PM »
Pain and Gain

This is as Michael Bay a movie as there ever was. Having said that, it's pretty darn good at what it attempts to do. Shave about 10 minutes off the run time and tighten up the script a bit and it would have been a Top 10 movie (enjoyment only) for me in 2013.

As is, lots of fun, and worth the matinee price.

B-

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #1158: April 27, 2013, 07:45:59 PM »
Loving all the bond movies on amazon prime too bad my two favorite old ones (on her majesty's secret service and from Russia with love)  aren't on prime

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #1159: April 28, 2013, 01:54:35 PM »
Loving all the bond movies on amazon prime too bad my two favorite old ones (on her majesty's secret service and from Russia with love)  aren't on prime

Seems like most Thanksgivings some channel (TNT? TBS) has Bond marathons, which are awesome if you're doing a bunch of cooking and stuck in the kitchen.

Offline mmzznnxx

• lol Nats
« Reply #1160: May 01, 2013, 03:43:04 AM »
Just watched "Big Fish" for the first time ever. I had heard for years about how good it was and how it was such a great "Dad-kid" movie.

I don't get it. I'm not a big fan of Burton in the first place (putting it mildly), but maybe just knowing how emotional it is supposed to be regarding dads ruined it for me. It all seemed so obvious and a roundabout way at touching on cliches.

I won't lie and say I didn't tear up some at the end, but that's not accomplishment considering some of the movies I've done that to. It was well done, just thought it dragged and was less than what I wanted out of it.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #1161: May 01, 2013, 10:15:18 AM »
Just watched "Big Fish" for the first time ever. I had heard for years about how good it was and how it was such a great "Dad-kid" movie.

I don't get it. I'm not a big fan of Burton in the first place (putting it mildly), but maybe just knowing how emotional it is supposed to be regarding dads ruined it for me. It all seemed so obvious and a roundabout way at touching on cliches.

I won't lie and say I didn't tear up some at the end, but that's not accomplishment considering some of the movies I've done that to. It was well done, just thought it dragged and was less than what I wanted out of it.

That's the point of the movie. I forget what one person said exactly when he reviewed the movie but the ending goes to an extreme length to make most of it's viewers tear up in the end. It's nothing special but it accomplished what it set out to do. I also liked some of the stories as well as a lot of the actors/actresses in the movie.

Another Dad-Kid movie that isn't great (well, the movie isn't great at all actually) that I enjoy is Frequency. I guess I consider it more Dad-Kid is because I watched it with my Dad one night, though, too.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #1162: May 01, 2013, 11:45:57 AM »

top 10 movie for me. 

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #1163: May 01, 2013, 11:49:58 AM »
Finally saw "42".

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #1165: May 01, 2013, 12:30:53 PM »
linty, always enjoy your movie reviews :clap:

can't wait to see Iron Man 3!

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #1166: May 01, 2013, 12:56:11 PM »
How was?

I enjoyed it.    It's a story that needs to be told and I think young folks (under 40) should definitely see it.   As someone mentioned earlier, Harrison Ford was very good.    As with most movies, it tries to compact so much into 2 plus hours that it became a bit too melodramatic for me.   (I thought the same about "Lincoln".)    It piqued my curiosity about more detail.    So, now I'm looking for a good book on Robinson.   In addition, as an old Pirates' fan, I want to find out more about Rickey bringing Clemente' to the Pirates.    I know Clemente' had been in the Dodgers' organization and played in Montreal (as did Robinson).    Rickey was the GM in Pittsburgh in the early 50's and helped open the door for Latin players in the Major Leagues.

As I sat there watching the credits, I had the thought that this is one of those movies that a thousand people will see and each one will come away with something different.   It's a good movie to go into with a blank slate.   The times, the game, who you are as a man/woman, etc. will all affect your feelings about the movie.    I give it a B+ because of the window it opens on America's past rather than baseball.     Baseball was the vehicle for the story.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #1167: May 01, 2013, 09:26:48 PM »

*throws money at the screen* 

TAKE IT!!!! TAKE MY MONEY!!!!

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #1168: May 01, 2013, 11:57:30 PM »
So the past few nights I've been watching movies. I'm just going to give my grade on the film as well as a sentence or two about how I felt when I watched it. Nothing plot wise.

Drive A-

Very interesting movie. A crime drama with an interesting tone throughout the entire movie. It was a welcoming feeling.

No Country for Old Men A+

Outstanding movie. The Coen Brothers have done it again. The setting, the plot, the characters, the actors, etc. Everything was fantastic.

Super 8 A-

This felt like an old school Spielberg adventure film. I really enjoyed it.

Offline Dixon Ward

« Reply #1169: May 02, 2013, 09:34:39 AM »

*throws money at the screen* 

TAKE IT!!!! TAKE MY MONEY!!!!

:money: :money: :money:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1170: May 02, 2013, 12:48:01 PM »
Anybody seen the 3D Jurassic Park?

If ever a movie would gain impact from going 3D, this would be it.    :nervous:

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #1171: May 03, 2013, 01:46:13 PM »
Excerpt from The Chatting Dead thread in Uncensored:
If you need to feed your zombie appetite, Juan of the Dead (2011) is a hilarious horror-comedy made in Cuba. It's in Cuban Spanish with English subtitles; unrated but R or TV-MA for language, gore and brief nudity.  The Walking Dead is much more graphic than this film.

I've seen Zombieland, which was hilarious, and the British Shaun of the Dead, which I didn't find all that funny. Juan of the Dead constantly pokes fun at the communist government propaganda machine, and how it deals with the zombie outbreak.  It has really dark humor and you won't see some of the best jokes coming. Like any comedy, the less you know about it, the better. Even the 30-second trailer gives away too many jokes.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #1172: May 04, 2013, 03:56:54 PM »
Iron Man 3

Hilarious, fast paced and one of the best bad guys ever. Perfect popcorn flick.

B+

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #1173: May 10, 2013, 01:19:15 AM »
Gravity

From the director of "Children of Men".

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #1174: May 11, 2013, 10:33:56 PM »
Iron Man 3 is pretty good. There's a lot of plot holes, but Robert Downey Jr is awesome.