Author Topic: Movie Recommendations/Want To See List  (Read 167684 times)

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
Re: Movie Recommendations/Want To See List
« Reply #1000: January 27, 2013, 01:37:13 PM »
I like I, Robot.
It has some good Will Smith moments.

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
« Reply #1001: January 27, 2013, 02:15:21 PM »
I hope Linty won't mind me borrowing his style.

Flight

Denzel was very good, grittier than I expected, the plane crash scene was the best I've ever seen. Denzel's fight with alcohol was almost as suspenseful as the plane crash at times.

B

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #1002: January 27, 2013, 08:41:38 PM »
Too bad Star Trek is an action movie series now.  Stuff like this will probably never happen again :'(

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #1003: January 27, 2013, 08:58:00 PM »
Too bad Star Trek is an action movie series now.  Stuff like this will probably never happen again :'(

I'm so hoping they do another TV show, even Enterprise was good in it's last 2 seasons. I think they will sometime in the next 10 years, I think they'll probably get some publicity because it'd be somewhat linked, even superficially, to the reboot movie series.

My favorite philosophical TNG moment/episode involving Data has to be "Measure of a Man" (2x09). Extremely good and it's really stuck with me since I watched it 5 or so years ago (I was 14 or 15 at the time too, so it must have been incredibly profound to stick with a teenager like me)

Offline Nathan

« Reply #1004: January 27, 2013, 09:29:01 PM »
"Measure of a Man" is a great episode.  So is "The Offspring," where Data has a daughter.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #1005: January 27, 2013, 09:39:18 PM »
"Measure of a Man" is a great episode.  So is "The Offspring," where Data has a daughter.
So sad... I think we ran out of tissues the night we watched that one. Damn... (Didn't mean to derail this topic though)

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #1006: January 27, 2013, 09:56:04 PM »
When I first saw the new Star Trek movie, I liked it okay. After watching the original series, I like it much less.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #1007: January 27, 2013, 10:19:07 PM »
When I first saw the new Star Trek movie, I liked it okay. After watching the original series, I like it much less.
What, was the original series better than the movie?

I just consider the J.J. movies and the show two different beasts - it is hard to convey the philosophy and world-building a TV show can provide in a movie format. And anyways, I'm hoping the success of this movie franchise will bring up serious discussion and investment into a new Star Trek TV series.

Anyways, has anyone watched Gangster Squad? It seems kind of up my alley but I'm worried it has way to much unnecessary violence and not enough actual plot. However, it's the only thing playing in my local theater that I'm REMOTELY interested in.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #1008: January 27, 2013, 10:41:05 PM »
What, was the original series better than the movie?
Yes. There are good parts to the new movie, (Karl Urban as Bones is brilliant.) but it doesn't really compare to the show. The movie is still solid, but I don't enjoy as much after watching the original show.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #1009: January 27, 2013, 10:51:20 PM »
Original show is overrated. TNG was better.

*Ducks*

Offline Nathan

« Reply #1010: January 27, 2013, 11:47:09 PM »
Original show is overrated. TNG was better.

*Ducks*

Why duck?  The ONLY people that would argue that TOS > TNG are senile old fogies.  Now, if we're talking movies, TOS movies are better than the TNG ones.  The Wrath of Khan is arguably the greatest sci-fi movie ever made in my opinion.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #1011: January 28, 2013, 09:54:34 AM »
Comparing TOS and TNG is mostly a matter of context and perspective.  Flatly saying one is "better" than the other is overly simplistic given the 20 year separation.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #1012: January 28, 2013, 11:36:01 AM »
Comparing TOS and TNG is mostly a matter of context and perspective.  Flatly saying one is "better" than the other is overly simplistic given the 20 year separation.

I liked TNG more.

Does that work better? :P

Offline The Chief

« Reply #1013: January 28, 2013, 12:54:37 PM »
Sure.  Purely from an entertainment perspective I'd give TNG the edge over TOS without question.  But Star Trek has never been purely about entertainment (at least until JJ came along)

Offline Coladar

« Reply #1014: January 29, 2013, 07:32:03 AM »
Why duck?  The ONLY people that would argue that TOS > TNG are senile old fogies.  Now, if we're talking movies, TOS movies are better than the TNG ones.  The Wrath of Khan is arguably the greatest sci-fi movie ever made in my opinion.

I actually disagree. Khan > all. But as a whole? Shatner was delusional when he took the director's chair. Save the whales! Crap, I even thought the Search for Leonard Nimoy destroyed the emotional impact of Khan's end and Spock's sacrifice. Kind of the same notion as how Clone Wars bringing back Maul raped the only redemptive quality of TPM.

Generations is more TNG than TOS. I count it with TNG. First Contact rocked. Heck, all the TNG movies had their good bits. Some of the TOS ones lacked any. I only dislike that TNG ends on such a sad note with Data's death and rebirth as something but a shadow of himself. But compared to TOS, which ends with Kirk being defeated by a goddamn rock? Like I said, love Khan as must any decent Trek fan. Other than that, meh to 3 and on.

In other words, another TNG>TOS vote.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #1015: January 29, 2013, 01:44:04 PM »
saw the new bourne flick the other day ... very well done. 

Offline The Chief

« Reply #1016: January 29, 2013, 01:58:30 PM »
*snip*

I'm sure I'm in the minority but I really like TOS 2, 3, and 6.  1 was boring as hell, trying too hard to be 2001.  4 was pure schtick with a side of environmentalism, and 5 was actually not that awful, it just had a silly central plot and low production values.

TNG could have stopped after First Contact and I doubt anyone would have minded.  Insurrection wasn't terrible but it just felt flat on all fronts.  The space combat in Nemesis is enjoyable but the rest of it is forgettable.

But compared to TOS, which ends with Kirk being defeated by a goddamn rock?

I really have no idea what this is referring to...

Offline Coladar

« Reply #1018: January 29, 2013, 08:28:41 PM »
I'm sure I'm in the minority but I really like TOS 2, 3, and 6.  1 was boring as hell, trying too hard to be 2001.  4 was pure schtick with a side of environmentalism, and 5 was actually not that awful, it just had a silly central plot and low production values.

TNG could have stopped after First Contact and I doubt anyone would have minded.  Insurrection wasn't terrible but it just felt flat on all fronts.  The space combat in Nemesis is enjoyable but the rest of it is forgettable.

I really have no idea what this is referring to...

Err, really? I was concerned when I had linked Generations to TNG, but figured the inference was obvious enough to not merit editing. Generations? Kirk falling off a bridge fighting Malcolm McDowell?

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #1019: January 30, 2013, 10:20:35 PM »
in the last week i've shown my kids "better off dead" and "one crazy summer" - still complete classics.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #1020: January 31, 2013, 06:36:29 PM »
Seven Psychopaths

Bloody, funny, depressing and insane.

I'm sure there's a whole other level of meaning this movie had that went straight over my head. For a layman such as myself, though, I was often left confused on the plot.

Confusions aside, I enjoyed it well enough.

B-

Offline Nathan

« Reply #1021: January 31, 2013, 07:38:19 PM »
Battlefield Earth

Sucks

F-

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #1022: January 31, 2013, 07:43:04 PM »
One night only, Friday Feb 1, 2013 at the AFI Silver Theatre, Silver Spring, MD
Count Gore De Vol 40th Anniversary Celebration!
Re-Presenting the Original Creature Feature:
HOUSE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1944) B&W

In person: Count Gore De Vol
In the spirit of the original broadcasts, this special, one-time-only celebration of an entertainment pioneer will feature the Count hosting on stage, with interactive intermissions and lots of ghoulish good fun and surprises in store.

TV personality Dick Dyszel introduced his alter ego Count Gore De Vol on Channel 20's CREATURE FEATURE 40 years ago on February 3, 1973. Dyszel, who already hosted local children's programming as Bozo the Clown and Captain 20, created the Count and for his debut, presented 1944's HOUSE OF FRANKENSTEIN, a "monster rally" ensemble piece featuring, not only the Frankenstein monster (Glenn Strange), but Dracula (John Carradine) and the Wolf Man (Lon Chaney, Jr.), with a new mad scientist (perplexingly, the original FRANKENSTEIN star Boris Karloff) and his hunchback assistant (J. Carrol Naish) stirring up trouble. So-bad-it's-good fun.

AFI Silver Theatre
8633 Colesville Road
Silver Spring, MD 20910
301-495-6700

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #1023: January 31, 2013, 08:27:09 PM »
Battlefield Earth

Sucks

F-
What the hell did you expect?

Offline Nathan

« Reply #1024: January 31, 2013, 09:25:03 PM »
What the hell did you expect?

I was just being an jerk aping linty's style :lol: