Author Topic: ATTENTION ALL WASHINGTON NATIONALS FANS: IT’S TIME TO TAKE BACK THE PARK!  (Read 58644 times)

Online HalfSmokes

The reps are paid on commission - they want to sell tickets- it's their job, if Nats fans don't buy them, they still have to sell them

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
The reps are paid on commission - they want to sell tickets- it's their job, if Nats fans don't buy them, they still have to sell them

“We’ve heard it enough, we’ve seen it enough, and I don’t like it any more than anyone else,” Feffer said. “We’re trying to build a team here, and nothing irks me personally or the people here more than to see another team’s fans — particularly Philly fans — in our ballpark, holding up signs. That’s not the way it should be. And I think we’ve got an opportunity here to do something different.”

Online HalfSmokes

“We’ve heard it enough, we’ve seen it enough, and I don’t like it any more than anyone else,” Feffer said. “We’re trying to build a team here, and nothing irks me personally or the people here more than to see another team’s fans — particularly Philly fans — in our ballpark, holding up signs. That’s not the way it should be. And I think we’ve got an opportunity here to do something different.”

Quote the well salaried permanent employee

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Quote the well salaried permanent employee

No idea of what your point is with this response.  That Fluffer doesn't want his reps selling to Philly fans but the sales staff has gone rogue?  My beef is with our hypocritical COO who sets the tone with the sales staff that anything goes when marketing to out of town fans while publicly decrying their presence in our park. 

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
So, I've gathered there is three possible solutions to this problem.

1. Ban all group ticket sales for every Phillies game (never going to happen)

2. Allow selling of group ticket sales for Phillies games, but require the purchase of an equal amount of tickets to another series that does not involve the Phillies i.e. Padres or Rockies (unlikely, but necessary)

3. Nats continue to sell group tickets to Phillies fan, stick their heads in the sand, and pretend the problem will fix itself... all while hoping your fan base doesn't realize you sold them out. (already happened, and will continue to happen)

4. Build a winning club that routinely smacks the Phillies when they are here.

Online HalfSmokes

No idea of what your point is with this response.  That Fluffer doesn't want his reps selling to Philly fans but the sales staff has gone rogue?  My beef is with our hypocritical COO who sets the tone with the sales staff that anything goes when marketing to out of town fans while publicly decrying their presence in our park. 

My point was the COO can say whatever he wants, unless he changes the incentives for his employees, it's all BS

Offline hammondsnats

no matter what there's going to be a lot of philly fans there.  even with this marketing campaign, they'll still find a way to come. 

the actual number of philly fans will decrease when the nats start winning more and the fan base grows more.  the way to shut 'em up is to win. 

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
My point was the COO can say whatever he wants, unless he changes the incentives for his employees, it's all BS

Well then we are in complete agreement, I thought that you were countering me.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
no matter what there's going to be a lot of philly fans there.  even with this marketing campaign, they'll still find a way to come. 

the actual number of philly fans will decrease when the nats start winning more and the fan base grows more.  the way to shut 'em up is to win. 

In other words when our tickets become scares at twice the current price.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
FWIW, I've got commitments for 16 seats out of 24 possible seats for those games.  Unfortunately, 6 of those will be to a Phillies fan in my group.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
FWIW, I've got commitments for 16 seats out of 24 possible seats for those games.  Unfortunately, 6 of those will be to a Phillies fan in my group.

Put tacks on those chairs

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Just a teensy weensy bit.

I figured as much when you demanded special attention based in part on 40K message board posts, too funny.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
I figured as much when you demanded special attention based in part on 40K message board posts, too funny.

Yeah, real special attention.  Let me help you sell 50 seats fast.  Answer was basically that this was not enough seats to make it worth the trouble to help me.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Yeah, real special attention.  Let me help you sell 50 seats fast.  Answer was basically that this was not enough seats to make it worth the trouble to help me.

I got the main point it was just that one supporting argument I found interesting.  Imagine SportsFan at the NatsDog stand demanding extra chili on his half smoke, "Don't you know who I am?  Have you seen my post count?"

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
I got the main point it was just that one supporting argument I found interesting.  Imagine SportsFan at the NatsDog stand demanding extra chili on his half smoke, "Don't you know who I am?  Have you seen my post count?"

That was not my point at all. 

But, at this point I'm not really sure what my point was, either.  I just know that wasn't it.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
I'll give them credit for at least being willing to publicly acknowledge it as a PR problem and make something they think is an attempt to do something about it. The problem as always with them is the execution. I'd rather it just be a campaign where the team says, "we're going to take back out park." i.e. acknowledging it as a problem of their own making and doing the things they need to do over time to change the situation. Instead, they turned it into a call to action for the fans who didn't create the problem. And the answer is to offer people a chance to buy more tix to games they already don't want to go to? I'd rather they offer to buy back my Phillies tix so they can given them to neighborhood kids.

Also, the whole thing about offering it only to people from the area is clueless. It's a myth that the Phillies games are packed with people who drive in from Philly. A lot of STHs are Phillies, Mets, and Braves fans to begin with as a leftover from the freak up by MLB when they owned the team. And most of the Phillies fans in the stands over the years have been locals/transplants/college students.

The proper way to deal with this is a) put a better product on the field, b) market better to establish the local fanbase, c) coordinate an effort to get tix into the hands of local kids, d) put in a zero tolerance policy for Philly fan behavior at the ballpark via better security and aggressively tossing out and harrassing every Phillies fan in the place, and e) a general effort to make it as difficult as possible for Philly fan groups to coordinate anything.

By making it as miserable an experience for them as possible, you can suppress some of the attendance over time. But at the end of the day it comes down to putting a winner on the field and better marketing. They dug themselves a hole, and it will take a lot to dig out. Clearly, they are not willing to spend money to fix the problem, if the best they can come up with is to offer people the opportunity to give them more money by buying tix. They could make an investment and start refusing to serve alcohol to Phillies fans. That would suppress some of the crowd.

Offline ouij

Offline saltydad

As usual, SSB states it perfectly.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.

what is this i don't even

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Since you started this thread SCSMGR, could you go into details about what the FO is doing to prevent Phillies fans from invading again other than a pre-sale? I believe there was a report recently that ticket managers are still selling to Philly bus companies. Could you comment on that?

Paging Mr. SCS.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Paging Mr. SCS.

SCS?

I'm fairly certain that the Customer Service Manager would not be the guy to answer questions about ticket sales policies.  And based on how this thread is going, I'll speculate that he will  :run: back to Nats Park Questions where there are some good questions about concessions availability on the Mezzanine level..

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
My wife's company does an annual outing to a Nats game. Last night I convinced my wife's boss that he should take his 80 employees to one of the Phillies game. That, ladies and gentleman, is how you can organize your own group and counter Philly's groups.

And to the first poster who says we will subjecting employees to a health hazard or something....just stop. Quite being such wussies. That's part of the problem.

Some people have suggested some great ideas to make it tougher for Philly's group to buy tickets and we need to keep the pressure on the FO to try those tactics. There is no one solution so everything is worth a try.

One last thing. Nats fans who buy these tickets and sell them to Philly's fans just to make a quick buck have absolutely no credibility with me. They show no loyalty to the team and, more importantly, to their fellows Nats fans who actually have the stones to attend those games.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Post has been corrected.

I have one small suggestion, the charts would be a little easier to follow if you used two axes instead of combining the data on one.  Not sure what charting software you used, but Excel handles this easily.

Offline jhuterp

And to the first poster who says we will subjecting employees to a health hazard or something....just stop. Quit being such wussies. That's part of the problem.

Agreed.  I've seen so much "hide the women and children" talk.... I don't know I don't find Phillies fans scary or intimidating.  I've been a STH since 2005 and been to numerous Phillies games and other than the Phillies fans cheering loud and talking a little smack I've never had a problem with them.  The only fight I ever saw at a Phillies-Nats game was in 2005 and it was between a guy wearing a Caps jersey and a guy wearing a Flyers jersey.  The guy in the Caps jersey started it. 

Bottom line: The only way to keep the Phillies fans out is for Nats fans to buy the tickets and go to the games.  If Nats fans don't step up or wimp out, hard to blame the Philly fans.