Author Topic: Quality start  (Read 1141 times)

natsfan1a

Quality start
« Topic Start: April 08, 2007, 07:08:01 PM »
On the plus side, we did get a quality start from Hill today. I believe that's the first from our starting pitching staff this year. That was encouraging to me.

nospinzone1

Re: Quality start
« Reply #1: April 08, 2007, 07:13:29 PM »
with pitchinjg like that we will win quite a few.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #2: April 08, 2007, 07:16:12 PM »
Hill pitched great and the only reason he gave up 2 runs was because of one bad pitch and Church's horrible defense in CF. 

Offline Ericas Nats

• Only Nationals fan in Seattle! :)
« Reply #3: April 08, 2007, 07:21:25 PM »
I agree 100%

He looked good today!

Hopefully its a turn for the better!

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #4: April 08, 2007, 08:08:31 PM »
Hill pitched great and the only reason he gave up 2 runs was because of one bad pitch and Church's horrible defense in CF. 

Oh come on, Church made several other awesome catches, one of which was even a web gem on baseball tonight...  don't crucify (har har) the man just because of one bad play.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
« Reply #5: April 08, 2007, 08:10:35 PM »
Oh come on, Church made several other awesome catches, one of which was even a web gem on baseball tonight...  don't crucify (har har) the man just because of one bad play.
consider the source of the criticism Chief...our guy sportsfan here is a hard man to please.   ;)

Offline Dave B

« Reply #6: April 08, 2007, 08:26:16 PM »
one is also attributed to either zim or lopez

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #7: April 08, 2007, 10:26:20 PM »
consider the source of the criticism Chief...our guy sportsfan here is a hard man to please.   ;)

I know I know, I just think that even he could acknowledge that Church did a great job today for an admittedly sub-par CFer.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #8: April 08, 2007, 10:45:29 PM »
I know I know, I just think that even he could acknowledge that Church did a great job today for an admittedly sub-par CFer.
Church made a few nice catches that any CF should make.  He missed the one that essentially cost the team the game.  However I do not blame him for the loss at all.  Our anemic offense that everyone thought was our strength was the sole reason.  Only giving up 3 runs should be good enough for a win. 

Online shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #9: April 08, 2007, 11:20:50 PM »
He missed the one that essentially cost the team the game.  However I do not blame him for the loss at all. 

Which one was that? The fly ball to deep center off of Hill following a hit batter that was followed by Zimmerman's boneheaded play that allowed the runner to get to third? So we are now blaming a guy for not getting to balls he is physically not capable of getting to because he is playing in a position he should not be? Nice.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #10: April 08, 2007, 11:26:22 PM »
plus the Carpenter and Sutton were saying that Ryan was playing sick...he shouldn't have been out there in the first place.  My guess is he wouldn't take no for an answer and took the field regardless.

Online shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #11: April 08, 2007, 11:34:34 PM »
But what play blew the game? Hill gave up two in the first and that was the margin of victory. Late in the game Church missed the one ball against the wall. It was one of those that should have been caught, but it was a tough catch on a well-hit ball. Also, Zimmerman lets the run score by not getting the ball out of his glove after fielding the ball down the line. Nevertheless, this was only one run. Any of these plays are shoulda, coulda, woulda. There was also the lack of the bunt by Fick in the 7th and the failure of Tolman to send Kearns in the 8th. There was plenty to go around.

Still, this game had its positives that the team can build upon.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #12: April 08, 2007, 11:40:53 PM »
But what play blew the game? Hill gave up two in the first and that was the margin of victory. Late in the game Church missed the one ball against the wall. It was one of those that should have been caught, but it was a tough catch on a well-hit ball.
No I'm in agreement with you about not blaming Church for the loss...I was just adding in his defense that it was reported that he was playing sick.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #13: April 09, 2007, 08:47:53 AM »
plus the Carpenter and Sutton were saying that Ryan was playing sick...he shouldn't have been out there in the first place.  My guess is he wouldn't take no for an answer and took the field regardless.

Oh course he did!  He got verbally clobbered last year as being a wimp for not playing sick or hurt!

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #14: April 09, 2007, 05:34:39 PM »
Hey, Ryan is by far the best offensive player for the Nats thus far.  No complaints.