Author Topic: Nationals @ Cardinals, Game 3  (Read 53090 times)

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Re: Nationals vs Cardinals, Game 3
« Reply #450: September 30, 2012, 07:35:54 PM »
Yeah... Not sure what DPM was getting at there. It's not like it was mid-May. It's late September.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #451: September 30, 2012, 07:40:34 PM »
No, I'm sorry, it's not.  He knows his offense is capable of making up 3 runs and hre doesn't want to blow through his pen in a game this close to the post season.  It was a gamble, it wasn't a white flag.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #452: September 30, 2012, 07:42:19 PM »
This close to the post season? All you need is one day off and the pen is completely healthy again. Usually I'm with you. But I feel you're way off base here.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #453: September 30, 2012, 07:42:37 PM »
Yeah... Not sure what DPM was getting at there. It's not like it was mid-May. It's late September.

I'm getting at that we're setting up for bigger things than clinching today.  It would have been nice, but wasn't worth using the kitchen sink.  We're not in a desperation situation.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #454: September 30, 2012, 07:43:49 PM »
You can explain it as many ways as you want... But I'm not going to agree with it. :shrug:

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #455: September 30, 2012, 07:43:55 PM »
This close to the post season? All you need is one day off and the pen is completely healthy again. Usually I'm with you. But I feel you're way off base here.

Wouldn't be the first time, but I don't think it was a white flag as much as it was a gamble that the offenseive regulars weren't done.  Turns out they were.  Move on to tomorrow and clinch in front of your own fans.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #456: September 30, 2012, 07:44:08 PM »
You can explain it how you want... But I'm not going to agree with it. :shrug:

I know.  :D

« Reply #457: September 30, 2012, 07:45:29 PM »
No, I'm sorry, it's not.  He knows his offense is capable of making up 3 runs and hre doesn't want to blow through his pen in a game this close to the post season.  It was a gamble, it wasn't a white flag.

The Nats used four relievers today, so your point is invalid. Besides, you can certainly blow through a pen -- and blow a great season -- playing in that stupid one-game wild card playoff.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #458: September 30, 2012, 07:49:02 PM »
The Nats used four relievers today, so your point is invalid. Besides, you can certainly blow through a pen -- and blow a great season -- playing in that stupid one-game wild card playoff.

Using 4 guys in September isn't blowing through the pen, especially when Wang, Garcia and Duke are 3 of the 4 you used.  And today wasn't a one game playoff, that really isn't in jeopardy.  If we do get in that situation, then it's a different situation, but we're not there right now.

« Reply #459: September 30, 2012, 08:03:47 PM »
Using 4 guys in September isn't blowing through the pen, especially when Wang, Garcia and Duke are 3 of the 4 you used.  And today wasn't a one game playoff, that really isn't in jeopardy.  If we do get in that situation, then it's a different situation, but we're not there right now.

So what you're saying is there is no chance of the Braves sweeping the Pirates and the Nats getting swept by the Phils? We're all worried over nothing?

A tie with the Braves means a one-game playoff with the Braves for the division. Lose that then a one-game playoff with probably the Cards in the wild-card game.

Wang was the worst possible choice at this point of the season. He should have never pitched Sunday and should never pitch in the remainder of the games. He was very good at one time, but it's over. He's toast just like Lidge. But we had to wait for Lidge to keep falling apart too many times before dumping him. Davey did the same thing with H-Rod. Too many chances to prove he can't pitch.

You do that in May and people forget. Do it with four games left and it's a terrible decision. I had no faith in a comeback with Wang in there. But once the Nats cut the deficit to 7-4 I did ... until Wang batted and came back out to the mound. Davey should have loaded the team on the plane at that point because he surrendered.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #460: September 30, 2012, 08:11:00 PM »
Sorry.  If you are worried about 8 straight unfavorable game outcomes and go to Mattheus, Clippard, etc... too early then you are a chicken little like Don Zimmer who burned his team out and who never won anything.  Wang spit the bit when he needed to come through, but the sun will come up tomorrow.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #461: September 30, 2012, 08:15:27 PM »
So what you're saying is there is no chance of the Braves sweeping the Pirates and the Nats getting swept by the Phils? We're all worried over nothing?

More or less, yeah.  In a situation where there are 6 games left in the season that have any impact on the Nats, a team with the best record in baseball, a 21 game winner throwing in one of the games, and a .618 win percentage at home, I'm not saying there's zero chance, but I'm very confident that a team that has been remarkably consistent and answered every challenge will absolutely close this thing out.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #462: September 30, 2012, 08:16:43 PM »
The Phillies aren't going to roll over and die. Lannan has historically been owned by the Phils with the exception of that start last week. What are the odds he stymies them twice in a one week span?

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #463: September 30, 2012, 08:17:40 PM »
The Phillies aren't going to roll over and die. Lannan has historically been owned by the Phils with the exception of that start last week. What are the odds he stymies them twice in a one week span?

Probably about the same as Billy Cundiff kicking a game winner on the road.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #464: September 30, 2012, 08:20:38 PM »
Probably about the same as Billy Cundiff kicking a game winner on the road.
So about 50/50. I don't like those kind of chances. Only positive is that we get Kendrick and Cloyd in the first two games. Have to win one of those two because Wednesday against Lee in the day, forget about it.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #465: September 30, 2012, 08:24:11 PM »
So about 50/50. I don't like those kind of chances. Only positive is that we get Kendrick and Cloyd in the first two games. Have to win one of those two because Wednesday against Lee in the day, forget about it.

No mention of Gio pitching on Tuesday.  Interesting.

Offline PC

« Reply #466: September 30, 2012, 08:29:39 PM »
OK DPM, how about using someone else, ANYONE ELSE to finish the third inning?  Wang is terrible with inherited runners.  Just not letting those two inherited runs score would have kept the score at 5-0.  Chein Ming Wang wildpitched in TWO RUNS,  back to back.  That's a rarity.

Then in the fourth inning, he could have gone to Wang, starting clean.  Of course, if the same four runs are scored then the game is 5-4 at that point...

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #467: September 30, 2012, 08:29:43 PM »
coolstandings has the odds at 98.8% for the  Nats winning the division. 

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #468: September 30, 2012, 08:39:54 PM »
No mention of Gio pitching on Tuesday.  Interesting.
Do you really want him to have to pitch Tuesday?? That means he won't be able to pitch Game 1 on Saturday in San Fran. We need Gio to be skipped so he can start Game 1.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #469: September 30, 2012, 08:42:56 PM »
OK DPM, how about using someone else, ANYONE ELSE to finish the third inning?  Wang is terrible with inherited runners.  Just not letting those two inherited runs score would have kept the score at 5-0.  Chein Ming Wang wildpitched in TWO RUNS,  back to back.  That's a rarity.

Then in the fourth inning, he could have gone to Wang, starting clean.  Of course, if the same four runs are scored then the game is 5-4 at that point...

I'd listen to that argument, but it still comes down with it's really not worth blowing through 6 or 7 relievers, which is what Davey was going after and he's probably not going to bring in Gorz since Det was also a lefty. 

We can dissect the details all we want.  It didn't work out today, we've got to find a way to win one more or have the Braves lose one more.  I like our chances to see that happen, which is really the point.

Offline monkeyhit

« Reply #470: September 30, 2012, 08:43:13 PM »
Not a matter of odds. Starters and bullpen look below average, Desi not quite right, lots of other holes in the lineup = very shaky potenial in playoffs. I don't care; they've had a good season. But things looks cloudy, for sure.  Johnson not the greatest manager in this situation.  He's old and stubborn.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #471: September 30, 2012, 08:43:54 PM »
coolstandings has the odds at 98.8% for the  Nats winning the division. 

Odds are just a guess. Wins count.

Still, I think Lannan will win tomorrow and Gio will win on Tuesday. I also think the Pirates will win one of their games. Medlen pitched today, and other Atlanta pitchers are not as good. Doesn't mean I will stop worrying until the Nats win one more, though.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #472: September 30, 2012, 08:46:44 PM »
Do you really want him to have to pitch Tuesday?? That means he won't be able to pitch Game 1 on Saturday in San Fran. We need Gio to be skipped so he can start Game 1.

lol.  I'd prefer to find a way to win tomorrow, of course.  I'm fully expecting to see Gio start game 1 on Sunday on the road vs. whomever we end up facing after they beat each other up in 17 innings on Friday.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #473: September 30, 2012, 08:54:02 PM »

I would rather start JZ vs. the Giants than Gio.

http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=27807.0

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #474: September 30, 2012, 09:06:21 PM »
lol.  I'd prefer to find a way to win tomorrow, of course.  I'm fully expecting to see Gio start game 1 on Sunday on the road vs. whomever we end up facing after they beat each other up in 17 innings on Friday.
We aren't going to finish better than the Reds.