Author Topic: Champions in D.C.  (Read 914 times)

SoxNationVA

Champions in D.C.
« Topic Start: February 27, 2008, 05:31:59 PM »
The 2007 World Series Champion Boston Red Sox were in D.C. this morning. They were the guests of the President and Vice-President on the South lawn of the White House.

The Prez got his uni presented to him by Jason Varitek (Bush 07).

The best part of the day was I got to travel over to Walter Reed with the guys. They certainly brightened up that place and met for hours with the real hero's in this country.

The BEST way for the new season to start.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: Champions in D.C.
« Reply #1: February 27, 2008, 05:38:10 PM »
The best part of the day was I got to travel over to Walter Reed with the guys. They certainly brightened up that place and met for hours with the real hero's in this country.

Those guys (Walter Reed patients) certainly appreciate the favor.  I've had the chance to chat with several of the Walter Reed recovering patients, through a program the Nats support that gets soldiers into Nats games early, so they can hang around batting practice behind the screen and mingle with players and front office folks.  These are for the most part young guys, far from home, hoping they can find a good life upon their return to mainstream America.  The three I spoke with were upbeat, but realistic that they were somewhat damaged goods so far as career options.  Nonetheless, they obviously enjoyed visiting with players and being at a ballgame.

natsfan1a

« Reply #2: February 27, 2008, 06:15:58 PM »
There's a group that we've run into at fishing shows, but I can't think of the name of it right now. Anyway, they work with disabled vets and sponsor fishing excursions with them.

Edit: My husband just got home and I asked him. It's Project Healing Waters. Pretty cool. 8)

http://projecthealingwaters.org/

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #3: February 27, 2008, 09:32:39 PM »
There's a group that we've run into at fishing shows, but I can't think of the name of it right now. Anyway, they work with disabled vets and sponsor fishing excursions with them.

Edit: My husband just got home and I asked him. It's Project Healing Waters. Pretty cool. 8)

http://projecthealingwaters.org/

Very cool.  I see they've got a trip planned April 28th to Fletcher's Boat House, might still be some shad in the river then.  Rockfish too.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #4: February 27, 2008, 10:08:01 PM »
The 2007 World Series Champion Boston Red Sox were in D.C. this morning. They were the guests of the President and Vice-President on the South lawn of the White House.

The Prez got his uni presented to him by Jason Varitek (Bush 07).

aww must have missed it...

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #5: March 02, 2008, 12:54:02 PM »
Recent article from the Baltimore Sun to stir things up a bit:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-sp.bbnotes02mar02,0,1460434.story  :devil:

Wait until the Curly W takes hold!   :clap:

SoxNationVA

« Reply #6: March 02, 2008, 03:10:37 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

ANOTHER big mouth named Steinbrenner!