Author Topic: 2012 MLB Draft  (Read 53260 times)

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
Re: 2012 MLB Draft
« Reply #150: March 08, 2012, 05:39:10 PM »
This draft bonus thing is so incredibly stupid.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #151: March 08, 2012, 06:36:38 PM »
I personally see us taking a HS pitcher or position player with the first pick and a lot more HS talent in general this year. Rizzo spent the first several drafts trying to get talent back into the organization not choosing too many risky players(high floor, low cieling guys) so we'd usually draft a ton of College Juniors/Seniors.

At the same time, won't it be riskier to draft the HS players with the idiotic cap in place? There's a real possibility of these guys going to school.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #152: March 08, 2012, 06:39:18 PM »
I think the bigger risk is drafting them outside of the first couple of rounds- in the first and second, they're still turning down big money

Offline d_mc_nabb

« Reply #153: March 08, 2012, 10:12:26 PM »
This draft bonus thing is so incredibly stupid.

Especially when you consider how sane even the most insane contracts are. Bryce Harper currently makes, IIRC, ~10 million over 5 years. Compare that with basketball or football.

Curious what people think of Victor Roache. Is he going higher than 16?

Online zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #154: March 08, 2012, 10:44:10 PM »
I thought I heard Roache got injured too.  If i'm just imagining things then he would probably go around 10 overall, maybe a little later, so I guess we could have a shot at him

Offline RD

« Reply #155: March 08, 2012, 10:53:38 PM »
The next couple months should tell a lot with him. If he's able to recover and pitch some near the end of the year or in the playoffs, even in a relief role, it'll help ease some concerns and he'll probably still go top ten. If it comes out he needs TJ, then he slides further.

And if he does fall to our pick, Id definitely take the gamble. I havent looked up what slot would be, but it would be tough for a kid to delay a million dollar bonus for three years, when there is a possibility he doesn't come back from the injury. Nick Adenhart(RIP) sign for like $750,000 when he slid from top ten status because of TJ surgery. Not saying Giolito would accept that amount, but if you're offering him $1-1.25 mill ... That'd be a hard thing for a kid to turn down while being injured. And rehabbing the injury under the eye of a professional training staff as your sole responsibility is a lot different than rehabbing in college while going to school. Definitely would be worth the gamble IMO.

Online zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #156: March 13, 2012, 10:24:49 PM »
I read that Victor Roache injured his wrist and will most likely be out for the rest of the college season.  I'm thinking he will now be available at our pick and could be a great righty power bat once he gets healthy

Online zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #157: March 13, 2012, 10:25:32 PM »
wow i just basically repeated a post i made from a week ago.  I'm smart

Online zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #159: April 23, 2012, 10:04:54 PM »
i'm hoping for a high-upside HS pitcher this year.

Offline Kevrock

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #161: April 23, 2012, 10:24:09 PM »
yikes.  not sure what to say.  My heart goes out to his family.

Offline GMUTrkstar

« Reply #162: April 25, 2012, 12:37:48 PM »
Latest Mock Draft from Sickels: http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/4/24/2971860/2012-baseball-mock-draft-april-edition#storyjump

16) Washington Nationals (Matt): The Nationals went big last year with top talents that slid and they overpaid for them. I'm not sure how they will approach this draft but considering they went with big names last year, Lance McCullers, RHP, Florida HS, would fit well with that idea given his bloodlines and top-notch stuff. (previous: Beck)

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #163: May 15, 2012, 11:43:56 AM »
Bump, draft is coming up in less than a month. Definitely not the buzz that there has been in the past but hopefully the Nats/Rizzo can find a gem in the rough.

Offline GMUTrkstar

« Reply #164: May 18, 2012, 12:14:47 PM »
Here's a draft related note on the Nats from the latest BA draft chat:

John (Richmond, VA): I read that Mike Rizzo was in attendance to see Lucas Sims last night, and that Roy Clark loves Sims. Could the Nats be putting more of an emphasis on upside, now that the big league team is doing so well? I could see the argument that "quick to the big leagues" is not as important. Thanks.

Jim Callis: I'd argue that they've been about upside all along. They invested $2 million in A.J. Cole. Last year, Alex Meyer and Brian Goodwin got $5 million, and neither is going to rush to the majors. I think the Nationals have worried just about talent and not timetables while rebuilding the club.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/chat/2012/2613413.html

Also here is a Ten Round Mock:  http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/5/18/3008041/2012-mlb-mock-draft-the-first-10-rounds#storyjump

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #165: May 23, 2012, 01:54:52 PM »
Another Mock Draft from the guys at http://mlbdirt.com/2012/05/22/2012-mlb-mock-draft-may-edition/

16. Nationals (J): Andrew Heaney (LHP – Oklahoma State) The Nationals will likely take pitching here and Heaney is just as good as any left on the board. Heaney does not have the upside of the college arms above him but his probability of becoming a #3 starter is very high and he may not need long in the minors. He also has some projection left. Chris Stratton is also a candidate here.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #166: May 29, 2012, 09:02:43 AM »
Can someone please post the rest of this article by KG?

Man I'd love to have Correa, he sounds like a Miguel Cabrera/Miguel Sano stud. Buxton seems like he has bust written all over him to me. I'd like to see some of the information on some of the College arms the Nats will be targeting (Stroman, Stratton, Gausman, Heaney).

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=17173

To be clear, this is a talent ranking based on numerous conversations with a wide variety of scouts and team officials. This is not a mock draft; this is simply how I would line up the magnets on the board based on what I know. I don't think this will be the order in which the players will be selected, as bonus demands, risk (or safety) and obviously a team's own scouting reports will certainly change everything, and the biggest wild card is still how the new rules will affect how picks come off the board.

1. Carlos Correa, SS, Puerto Rico Baseball Academy (PR)
Who he is: A big athletic shortstop with remarkable presence at the plate, quick hands, outstanding bat control and the potential for plus power. He's a plus runner who is graceful in the field and has one of the best infielder arms in the draft. The only concern is with his size, as he’s already 6-foot-3 and approaching 200 pounds, but he has more than enough ability to be a star at third base as well, and one scout believes he'd actually get to the big leagues quicker at that position. It's important to note that he is only 17, and multiple teams have cited Rany Jazayerli's draft/age study as entering into their evaluations this year.
Draft skinny: Correa has been inching his way up draft boards all spring, and while it's unlikely he'll go number one, he's at least in Houston's mix. Once seen as a prime target for the Cubs at No. 6 overall, now many teams don't think he'll last that long.

2. Lucas Giolito, RHP, Harvard-Westlake HS (CA)
Who he is: Among the best high school righties in recent memory, as he has everything scouts look for. He's 6-foot-6 with long levers, throws in the mid-to-upper 90s while touching 100, and he's much more than just a pure arm, as many teams also saw his power curveball as one of if not the best breaking ball in the draft. He also has an advanced changeup for his age.
Draft skinny: Giolito is the biggest enigma in the draft after an elbow injury shut him down in March. While there is no structural damage, he's only to the point of throwing off flat ground, and his UCLA commitment is considered stronger than ever because he had a chance to be the first high school right-hander ever taken at No. 1 overall before the injury, and teams assumed he'll still want to be paid like one. If he goes in the top five picks, I will not be shocked. If nobody touches him in the first round due to signability fears, I will not be surprised.

3. Byron Buxton, OF, Appling County HS (GA)
Who he is: The best all-around athlete in the draft. He's a plus-plus (or more) runner who projects to steal plenty of bases and cover a ton of ground in center field to go with a rocket for an arm. He has fantastic bat speed, but reviews on his power are wide-ranging. To believe he'll be a home run hitter right now requires significant projection, but while many are convinced it's in him, others wonder how that can be when he's not showing it against sub-par competition in rural Georgia.
Draft skinny: Power or no, it's hard to match Buxton's tools and upside. He's firmly in the mix for Houston at No. 1, and it would be surprising for the Twins to pass him up at No. 2.

4. Mark Appel, RHP, Stanford
Who he is: There are three big college arms in this draft, and Appel is generally seen as the best. He certainly passes the sniff test, due to a 6-foot-5 power frame and a 93-95 mph fastball that can touch 98. His breaking ball is a bit of a hybrid, but is effective and misses plenty of bats, and his changeup is average. He's excellent, but for some, he lacks the wow factor of a potential 1-1 pick. One scout commented, “The parts are greater than the sum,” as he can be surprisingly hittable at times.
Draft skinny: Currently the favorite to go No. 1 to Houston, but not yet a lock. He should get through the minors quickly, but he's also the top prospect being advised by Scott Boras, and teams are unsure as to what those negotiations will be like under the new rules.

5. Kyle Zimmer RHP, San Francisco
Who he is: There are many teams who have Zimmer ahead of Appel on their boards. He has size and extreme athleticism for a pitcher, along with plus command and control of a bigtime fastball that consistently touches the upper 90s while touching 98-99 mph. His curveball is a plus pitch, and while his changeup needs consistency, it has potential. With two dominant offerings in a non-elite conference, he's been able to blow hitters away, and will need to learn how to sequence as a pro.
Draft skinny: Zimmer could go as high as No. 2 overall to Minnesota, and it's hard to see him falling out of the top five picks.

Online zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #167: May 29, 2012, 10:37:13 AM »
Can someone please post the rest of this article by KG?

Man I'd love to have Correa, he sounds like a Miguel Cabrera/Miguel Sano stud. Buxton seems like he has bust written all over him to me. I'd like to see some of the information on some of the College arms the Nats will be targeting (Stroman, Stratton, Gausman, Heaney).
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=17173

Gausman won't last that long

Offline PC

« Reply #168: May 31, 2012, 10:01:28 PM »
The latest MLB mock draft has us taking Deven Marrero, Chris' cousin, if he falls past the Mets at #12.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120531&content_id=32543884&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #169: May 31, 2012, 10:14:12 PM »
He can't hit

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #170: May 31, 2012, 10:19:35 PM »
He can't hit

Down year at the plate would be why he could fall.

I'm not sure how much I trust college hitting statistics with these bats. They are deadened like crap, but the players that I talked to last year said it was not at all like wood.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #171: May 31, 2012, 10:20:24 PM »
I think Richie Shaffer from Clemson sounds like an intriguing hitting prospect if he falls to us. He has an elite bat with lots of power. His main question is can he stick at 3B defensively and if not can he handle 1B. Still I think we almost need someone that like on our team even if the defense isn't there. He can rake

Scouting Report

Scouting Report: Richie Shaffer (3B)
Posted on 3 May 2012
BLUF: One of the draft’s best power bats, only question is whether he can stick at third.

The Player: Richie Shaffer (3B, Clemson University) – Selected in the 25th round of the 2009 draft by the Los Angeles Dodgers. Hit .323/.409/.525 as a freshman with the old aluminum bats. Actually improved his power production with the new BBCOR bats in 2011, posting a .577 slugging (15 doubles, 2 triples, 13 home runs). Has a .347/.481/.599 line this year through 45 games, while switching to third base most of the time. Pre-season All-American in 2012. Hit .263 with 18 extra-base hits in 36 games on the Cape in 2011. Won the 2011 Cape Cod League home run derby at Fenway Park.

Basis of Report: Personal Observation (Spring 2010, Spring 2011, Cape Cod League 2011, Spring 2012), Industry Contacts

Body (6-3, 205): Big, physical guy with longs arms and legs. Muscular but has good flexibility and not too bulked up. Solid athlete. Can get mechanical in movements at times, but will also flash some fluidity and solid reactions. Very impressive body with pro physicality right now. 
Hit: Outstanding raw bat speed. Gets to the zone quietly and consistently, hands work well most of the time. Because of long levers, swing gets a little long. Can get beat inside with hard stuff and is occasionally susceptible to good breaking balls away. Advanced approach at the plate with a clue and a willingness to work counts and find pitches he can drive. Willing to attack early in the count if he’s attacked. Shows ability to work ball the other way without sacrificing strength/power. Question how much average he will show, but should be a solid-average hitter with good on-base skills, possibly .275 average at his peak. Grade – 40/50
Power: One of the most impressive BPs I’ve seen the last couple of years. Big time raw. Can drive it to any part of the park. Really impressive pull power when he gets his arms extended in the swing. Has good elevation on the back half of swing, but comes up short of an uppercut stroke. Plus-plus raw that may not completely play given hitting projection. Needs to trust hands and strength when going the other way. Has strength in swing to have oppo power, but has to let it come. Should learn with time. Potential 25+ home run guy, maybe more if he hits better than expected. Grade (raw power) – 60/60
Arm: Plus arm strength. Gets a little slow on the release at times and will drop his arm angle, allowing throws to sail to the arm side. Has the arm for third base. Footwork needs consistency to improve accuracy. Grade – 60/60
Fielding: Better suited for first base but flashes some ability for third. Has decent reactions and good length, giving him solid reach to both sides. Struggles charging balls and often gets the ball on the wrong hop. Footwork gets sloppy and leaves him out of position to make routine plays. Needs a lot of work to be a fringe-average MLB defender at third base. Shows better footwork at first base and while his arm is wasted, he generally fits better there. Grade – 30/40 (third base)
Speed: Below-average runner, but runs surprisingly well for his size. Can get up to speed quickly and his hustle helps his poor speed play up a tick. Knows what he’s doing on the bases and isn’t a base clogger. Could slow down if he thickens up more in the coming years, but as it stands, he should maintain his below-average speed. Grade – 40/40

Summation:  One of the better power prospects in the draft. Really impressive middle-of-the-order power potential. Needs to stay at third base to maintain significant prospect value. Becomes more of “just a guy” if a first baseman. Doesn’t have the elite hitting and power ability to project as an everyday first baseman at the big league level. Could be an All-Star at third base on the back of his bat alone. Defense will need some work and that will decide how quickly he develops. Advanced approach at the plate should ease transition to pro ball and allow power to play quickly. Hard worker with enough raw skill to be an impact player long term. If you believe the third base defense will come, then he’s a potential difference maker.

Relative Risk: Moderate. Hitting approach and enough contact ability for carrying power tool to play. Defensive questions leave some risk, but not a ton.

Draft Projection: Power bat makes him stand out in this draft class. Could go in the top ten picks to a team thirsty for power, but most scouts believe he fits more comfortably in the 11-15 range.

Online zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #172: May 31, 2012, 10:22:40 PM »
i like him too

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #173: May 31, 2012, 10:24:48 PM »
Yep. Nats need to spend a first round pick on "just another guy."

Offline HalfSmokes