Author Topic: Beer, Beer, and More Beer (2008-2013)  (Read 158147 times)

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
Re: Beer, Beer, and More Beer
« Reply #425: May 07, 2009, 07:41:21 AM »
Is Gilly's a bar ?

Went to Gilly's Craft Beer shop (Rockville, near Twinbrook Metro) tonight, and as of tomorrow, they will have 120 and Troegs sunshine pils on tap as of tomorrow (plus all the usual bottled beers).  And that place is a block from my office...booyah

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #426: May 07, 2009, 08:48:10 AM »
Is Gilly's a bar ?

My virus scanner stopped me from going to their website, claimed it had a trojan :(

Found this:

http://www.rockvilleliving.com/directory/listing/1212

Offline blue911

« Reply #427: May 07, 2009, 08:50:23 AM »
My virus scanner stopped me from going to their website, claimed it had a trojan :(

Are you Catholic?

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #428: May 07, 2009, 09:01:19 AM »
Are you Catholic?

Don't you know a lot about history?

Offline blue911

« Reply #429: May 07, 2009, 09:12:11 AM »
Don't you know a lot about history?

I never read the Iliad.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #430: May 07, 2009, 09:17:36 AM »
I never read the Iliad.

Well I assume you've seen Monty Python and the Holy Grail :lol:

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #431: May 07, 2009, 12:28:01 PM »
Love me some Leine's but never heard of this one. What is it like?

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/180/1385

Ignore the guy claiming it tastes anything like bananas.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #432: May 07, 2009, 12:36:55 PM »
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/180/1385

Ignore the guy claiming it tastes anything like bananas.

I've had it on tap in Belgium. It's good, but probably doesn't crack the top 5 beers I had there.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #433: May 20, 2009, 07:51:39 AM »
Have any of you found the beer selection at Nationals Park to be substandard this week ?  Monday night, the Red Porch has 4 taps - 3 are very similiar - heffenweizen, while ale, and a saisson.  The good beer stand on the main concourse in right field was closed.  Tom Terp's stand in the 300 section in left field was out of beer.  Geez !

Offline blue911

« Reply #434: May 20, 2009, 08:07:02 AM »
Have any of you found the beer selection at Nationals Park to be substandard this week ?  Monday night, the Red Porch has 4 taps - 3 are very similiar - heffenweizen, while ale, and a saisson.  The good beer stand on the mial concourse in right field was closed.  Tom Terp's stand in the 300 section in left field was out of beer.  Geez !

Sounds like it's time to break out the hip flasks.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #435: May 20, 2009, 08:15:55 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Tasty mother's milk of middle age.

Delirium nocturnum is good.

Offline 2IPAs

• Barbie luvs the Nationals!
« Reply #436: May 20, 2009, 04:35:58 PM »
The selection at the new beer garden on Half Street is nothing to write home about--basically Bud and Miller and a few more "exotic" bottles such as Hook and Ladder golden ale. The place has a kind of frat house air with picnic tables and beanbag toss boards.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #437: May 20, 2009, 04:45:43 PM »
This from yesterday's Gameday Thread.  NOTLD asked about where I got discount coupons for beer in quantity:

You, sir, are truly blessed then. Where did you pick that coupon up and where did you use it?

It's a coupon for "Express Food", a Gaithersburg, MD beer and wine store.  16254 S. Frederick Ave, Corner of Shady Grove Rd &  Route 355.  301-258-7742, open 7 days until 1 AM!!

They have coupons for LOTS of brands in 30-pack cans or 24-pack cans or bottles in a monthly mailer, Clipper Magazine, 1-888-569-5100.  They've been running an ad like this every month for YEARS.  So don't throw out your junk mailers; some have great deals!

Examples (they have these coupons EVERY month).  (I pick up multiple mailers from the trash):
$12.97 for 30-pack cans of Pabst Blue Ribbon, Miller High Life, Ice House, Busch, Natural Light
That coupon was ELIMINATED June 1, 2009, as they made the ad smaller; 1st time in MANY years [sniff].
]$13.97 for 24-pack cans Budweiser, Bud Light, Coors Light, Miller Lite.
$17.97 for 30-pack cans Lite, MGD, Coors & Coors Light, Bud, Bud Ice & Select & Light.
$23.97 $24.97 on June 1, 2009 for 24-bottles of Guiness, Blue Moon, Warsteiner, Harp, Smithwicks, Red Stripes, Steinlager, Heineken, Amstrel Light, Corona, St Pauli's Girl, Becks, Grolisch, Wild Goose.
$24.97 for 24-bottles of Bass Ale, Stella Artois, Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada.

They also have a coupon for 22 different WINES, for you pansies.  Note: The hops in BEER makes women's breasts grow larger.  True.  So skip wine.  Sierra Nevada has a hops rating content on their labels.  The higher the hops content, the um... bigger the...  you get the idea.  (The hops simulates the effect of estrogen, and causes a reaction.)

Ladies, drink a pair to get a pair

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #438: May 20, 2009, 05:07:37 PM »
 :shock:

It's times like these I'm glad N2P has reactivated his participation.    :lol:

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #439: May 20, 2009, 10:36:34 PM »
blech, pass

The selection at the new beer garden on Half Street is nothing to write home about--basically Bud and Miller and a few more "exotic" bottles such as Hook and Ladder golden ale. The place has a kind of frat house air with picnic tables and beanbag toss boards.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #440: May 20, 2009, 10:37:31 PM »
Brilliant!

This from yesterday's Gameday Thread.  NOTLD asked about where I got discount coupons for beer in quantity:

It's a coupon for "Express Food", a Gaithersburg, MD beer and wine store.  16254 S. Frederick Ave, Corner of Shady Grove Rd &  Route 355.  301-258-7742, open 7 days until 1 AM!!

They have coupons for LOTS of brands in 30-pack cans or 24-pack cans or bottles in a monthly mailer, Clipper Magazine, 1-888-569-5100.  They've been running an ad like this every month for YEARS.  So don't throw out your junk mailers; some have great deals!

Examples (they have these coupons EVERY month).  (I pick up multiple mailers from the trash):
$12.97 for 30-pack cans of Pabst Blue Ribbon, Miller High Life, Ice House, Busch, Natural Light
$13.97 for 24-pack cans Budweiser, Bud Light, Coors Light, Miller Lite.
$17.97 for 30-pack cans Lite, MGD, Coors, Bud, Bud Ice & Select & Light.
$23.97 for 24-bottles of Guiness, Blue Moon, Warsteiner, Harp, Smithwicks, Red Stripes, Steinlager, Heineken, Amstrel Light, Corona, St Pauli's Girl, Becks, Grolisch, Wild Goose.

They also have a coupon for 22 different WINES, for you pansies.  Note: The hops in BEER makes women's breasts grow larger.  True.  So skip wine.  Sierra Nevada has a hops rating content on their labels.  The higher the hops content, the um... bigger the...  you get the idea.  (The hops simulates the effect of estrogen, and causes a reaction.)

(Image removed from quote.)

« Reply #441: May 20, 2009, 11:49:57 PM »
Delirium nocturnum is good.

I had that last week. It was like $10 a bottle and overall, I just didn't like the taste.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #442: May 24, 2009, 12:10:36 PM »
The new Clipper magazine came out, and they CUT the ad from a half page to one third page, eliminating the ad for Pabst Blue Ribbon on others. [Sniff, sniff, cries...

That coupon was ELIMINATED June 1, 2009, as they made the ad smaller; 1st time in MANY years [sniff].
]$13.97 for 24-pack cans Budweiser, Bud Light, Coors Light, Miller Lite.
$17.97 for 30-pack cans Lite, MGD, Coors & Coors Light, Bud, Bud Ice & Select & Light.
$23.97 $24.97 on June 1, 2009 for 24-bottles of Guiness, Blue Moon, Warsteiner, Harp, Smithwicks, Red Stripes, Steinlager, Heineken, Amstrel Light, Corona, St Pauli's Girl, Becks, Grolisch, Wild Goose.

They also got rid of the coupon that let you get either a turkey sub or Italian sub for $1.97.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #443: May 25, 2009, 06:58:31 AM »
The Red Porch has increased the variety of its taps a little.  It includes the Dogfish 60 Minute IPA now.  But those same 3 are still there - heffenweizen, while ale, and a saisson.  Let's hope for more variety on the next homestand.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #444: May 25, 2009, 04:51:03 PM »
The Red Porch has increased the variety of its taps a little.  It includes the Dogfish 60 Minute IPA now.  But those same 3 are still there - heffenweizen, while ale, and a saisson.  Let's hope for more variety on the next homestand.

They had a very nice Williamsburg (Nut Brown) Ale there Thursday.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #445: May 28, 2009, 01:20:01 PM »
Is anyone going to the SAVOR beer tasting event on Saturday ?

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #446: May 31, 2009, 08:20:15 PM »
For those of you in northern virginia/alexandria, I would like to recommend Ricks wine and Beer- they have decent tastings every Friday and Saturday. Its a great way to try something new. Last week they had a brewery rep from New Holland Brewery. I was beyond happy when my wife decided to try Dogfish 90 Minute and actually liked it; she got me back by getting bluberry beer too (actually decent in a chilled pint glass with frozen blueberrys)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #447: May 31, 2009, 08:26:22 PM »
For those of you in northern virginia/alexandria, I would like to recommend Ricks wine and Beer- they have decent tastings every Friday and Saturday. Its a great way to try something new. Last week they had a brewery rep from New Holland Brewery. I was beyond happy when my wife decided to try Dogfish 90 Minute and actually liked it; she got me back by getting bluberry beer too (actually decent in a chilled pint glass with frozen blueberrys)

I was a significant customer of Ricks when I lived in Alexandria.  In the old Hechinger Plaza off Duke St, right?

Rick was great about putting together mixed cases of wine at any price point I wanted.  He had particularly good recommendations on value reds, and I appreciated his willingness to sell me what I wanted, as opposed to try to upsell.  And, the prices were better than just about anywhere. 

Unfortunately, I heard Rick sold the store a few years ago, but glad to hear they are still doing well.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #448: May 31, 2009, 08:30:24 PM »
I was a significant customer of Ricks when I lived in Alexandria.  In the old Hechinger Plaza off Duke St, right?

Rick was great about putting together mixed cases of wine at any price point I wanted.  He had particularly good recommendations on value reds, and I appreciated his willingness to sell me what I wanted, as opposed to try to upsell.  And, the prices were better than just about anywhere. 

Unfortunately, I heard Rick sold the store a few years ago, but glad to hear they are still doing well.

thats the place, the service is still really great. I particularly appreciate the fact that they track every purchase you make in case you can't remember that great red from a few months ago.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #449: May 31, 2009, 08:32:25 PM »
I particularly appreciate the fact that they track every purchase you make in case you can't remember that great red from a few months ago.

Well that's a new service.  They used to have a nice selection of Rhone reds.