Author Topic: Astros to the AL  (Read 2999 times)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Astros to the AL
« Topic Start: November 14, 2011, 07:06:36 PM »
Jon Heyman is reporting that the Astros will move the AL in 2013.  he expects this will be part of more interleague play starting the same year

Offline houston-nat

Re: Astros to the AL
« Reply #1: November 14, 2011, 07:20:31 PM »
More interleague play? But they'll be playing the Rangers all the time.

Also: the DH rule still sucks.

Offline blue911

« Reply #2: November 14, 2011, 07:29:24 PM »
AL = Atlantic League?

Offline heeman82

« Reply #3: November 14, 2011, 08:03:14 PM »
Lame.

Offline RL04

« Reply #4: November 16, 2011, 01:05:59 PM »

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #5: November 16, 2011, 01:09:10 PM »
As long as the extra Wild Card team faces off against the original Wild Card team in a one game playoff, I'm fine with it.

But, if the top team gets a bye to face the winner of a three game Wild Card series... it'll end up hurting the team with the bye.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #6: November 16, 2011, 01:37:22 PM »
The Crawford boxes belong in the AL.  Get them out of my National League.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #7: November 16, 2011, 01:41:11 PM »
Berkman swung!

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
« Reply #9: November 16, 2011, 08:07:24 PM »
This is a done deal, apparently.  It affects everybody - there will be an interleague game every night.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/11/mclane-confirms-astros-will-move-to-al-west.html

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #10: November 16, 2011, 09:54:17 PM »
Boo to more interleague.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #11: November 16, 2011, 09:55:55 PM »
Boo to more interleague.

How do you know there's going to be more interleague play than the current standard?

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
« Reply #12: November 16, 2011, 10:33:02 PM »
How do you know there's going to be more interleague play than the current standard?

Odd # of teams per league.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #13: November 17, 2011, 06:10:07 AM »

Well, I don't know. But that's what people have been saying.

http://twitter.com/#]http://twitter.com/#!/jaysonst/status/136593790357094400
http://www.csnphilly.com/blog/phillies-talk/post/Astros-move-to-AL-means-more-interleague?blockID=595560&feedID=10156

I liked the one comment on MLBTR that said basically "More interleague makes zero sense so of course Selig will do it".

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #14: November 17, 2011, 08:59:10 AM »
In terms of numbers of games of interleague, will there be more?  It will be spread throughout the year, but in terms of series, I'm think there only needs to be about 6 more, to replace the 6 extra series the NL had to play due to the imbalance.  IOW, instead of having the 15th and 16th NL teams face each other when everyone else had interleague opponents, now that extra series will be 15AL v. 15NL.  So, it is about 18 extra interleague games, but there will not be the situation the Nats were in last year where we had only 5 interleague series.

I still like interleague.  I like the change of parks, the chance to see different players, and the like.  I would rather have the overall record of each league in interleague decide home advantage in the world series than the all star game. 

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #15: November 17, 2011, 09:05:01 AM »
I wonder how this will  impact the B-more series.  I could see one series every year with the Os (or the designated rival for teams that do not overlap markets).  But the sensible and balanced thing would be for the other 5 series to rotate through the AL divisions. Once every 3 years home and home with the Os when we play the AL East, but otherwise, just one series.  That said, I'd imagine that baseball will want 2 Mets-NYY and 2 Cubs-CWS every year, so I think we will skip a team in the AL Central and AL West each time we play those divisions to give us 2 Os series.

Offline blue911

« Reply #16: November 17, 2011, 09:17:58 AM »
In terms of numbers of games of interleague, will there be more?  It will be spread throughout the year, but in terms of series, I'm think there only needs to be about 6 more, to replace the 6 extra series the NL had to play due to the imbalance.  IOW, instead of having the 15th and 16th NL teams face each other when everyone else had interleague opponents, now that extra series will be 15AL v. 15NL.  So, it is about 18 extra interleague games, but there will not be the situation the Nats were in last year where we had only 5 interleague series.

I still like interleague.  I like the change of parks, the chance to see different players, and the like.  I would rather have the overall record of each league in interleague decide home advantage in the world series than the all star game. 

Playing one inter league game a day will not increase the number.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #17: November 17, 2011, 09:41:38 AM »
Playing one inter league game a day will not increase the number.

Correct.

One interleague game a baseball day would be 162 interleague games a year, which would be a significant reduction from the 252 interleague games that is the current standard.

Hence moving the Astros to the AL and playing interleague every day would NOT in and of itself cause any increase in interleague play, as they still have a cushion of 90 games to allocate around the 30 teams (6 per team).

Offline blue911

« Reply #18: November 17, 2011, 09:52:27 AM »
Correct.

One interleague game a baseball day would be 162 interleague games a year, which would be a significant reduction from the 252 interleague games that is the current standard.

Hence moving the Astros to the AL and playing interleague every day would NOT in and of itself cause any increase in interleague play, as they still have a cushion of 90 games to allocate around the 30 teams (6 per team).

The season is about 182 days.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #19: November 17, 2011, 09:58:36 AM »
The season is about 182 days.

That's why I used the term "baseball day", to filter out the empty time and compress to what is essentially a 162 game day season for each team.

The overall point remains - 162 interleague games would have to be played at a minimum, leaving another 90 to be doled out before there would be an increase.

If the number of interleague games increases overall, it's not due to the league realignment, it's because they want to increase the IL play overall anyway.

Offline blue911

« Reply #20: November 17, 2011, 10:09:15 AM »
That's why I used the term "baseball day", to filter out the empty time and compress to what is essentially a 162 game day season for each team.

The overall point remains - 162 interleague games would have to be played at a minimum, leaving another 90 to be doled out before there would be an increase.

If the number of interleague games increases overall, it's not due to the league realignment, it's because they want to increase the IL play overall anyway.

Or because they are using the same schedulers that managed to have the Nats make 3 trips to play one series each against the Padres,Dodgers and Angels.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #21: November 17, 2011, 10:10:52 AM »
Or because they are using the same schedulers that managed to have the Nats make 3 trips to play one series each against the Padres,Dodgers and Angels.

Isn't it a husband and wife team that does the scheduling for the entire league?

I thought I read that a big firm was trying to lowball them for the contract to schedule the season.

Offline blue911

« Reply #22: November 17, 2011, 10:15:22 AM »
Isn't it a husband and wife team that does the scheduling for the entire league?

I thought I read that a big firm was trying to lowball them for the contract to schedule the season.

I know at one time it was a Mom and Pop. I can't remember if Bud changed or not. But the scheduling has been brutal across the board. The Mariners made 4 trips to play against the Red Sox,Yankees,Orioles and Nats.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #23: November 17, 2011, 10:17:42 AM »
I know at one time it was a Mom and Pop. I can't remember if Bud changed or not. But the scheduling has been brutal across the board. The Mariners made 4 trips to play against the Red Sox,Yankees,Orioles and Nats.

I think it might have been an ESPN story... basically the story was saying that with 30 teams, the scheduling process is getting to be too big for just two people, and it'd be best for baseball if they'd drop the husband/wife and go with a firm that can dedicate more time to figuring out how to put the schedule together in a more economical way.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #24: November 17, 2011, 10:25:29 AM »
I think it might have been an ESPN story... basically the story was saying that with 30 teams, the scheduling process is getting to be too big for just two people, and it'd be best for baseball if they'd drop the husband/wife and go with a firm that can dedicate more time to figuring out how to put the schedule together in a more economical way.

They could have a computer simulation model put the thing together, fairly easily I would think once the model is built.

Operations research forever!    :twisted: