Author Topic: General Offense Discussion  (Read 25415 times)

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
Re: General Offense Discussion
« Reply #200: April 29, 2012, 09:11:05 PM »
if we trade for david wright, do you think he could play 2nd?

If such a thing ever happened (which it wont) you play him at 3rd and put Zimmerman at SS.

Online MorseTheHorse

« Reply #201: April 29, 2012, 09:13:08 PM »
On this day last year Morse had a .221/.263/.279 line...

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #202: April 29, 2012, 09:14:10 PM »
also could we get elvis andrus or jurickson profar from the rangers  since they don't have room for both after extending kinsler

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #203: April 29, 2012, 09:14:45 PM »

That's why I'm not so quick to judge peoples performances in the month of April. We all saw what Morse did last year. We all also know of Zimmerman's April struggles. I just hope the bad turns into good, not the other way around.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #204: April 29, 2012, 09:26:40 PM »
Aybar just signed a five year deal like last week.

So did Kendrick

Maicer Izturis, come home, please!

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #205: April 29, 2012, 09:56:54 PM »

But Morse hit really well the year prior and mashed during spring training.

Espinosa was pretty terrible after the all star break.  Desmond has consistently had long periods of not hitting and then a few weeks where everything is dropping for hits.  Whatever they've been doing is not working.

Ramos should come around and hit for some power.  At the same time, I can't believe that LaRoche will continue to mash like he has been.

I have no idea how Moore, Lombo, and Harper will do.  Hopefully they do well because the team needs them with Zim and Morse out. 

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #206: April 29, 2012, 10:04:27 PM »
If such a thing ever happened (which it wont) you play him at 3rd and put Zimmerman at SS.

Zimmerman wouldn't last 50 games without going on the DL

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #207: April 29, 2012, 10:17:38 PM »
if we kept Willingham I think you could make an argument that Michael Morse wouldn't have gotten the break he got last year.  I'll take Morse over Willingham.

Willingham had a similar year last year and will have a better year this year.  I love Morse but it's dumb to think that he wouldn't have gotten a shot had Willingham stayed around.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #208: April 29, 2012, 10:34:42 PM »
Shoot, Morse barely got a chance when only Morse stayed around.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #209: April 29, 2012, 10:46:52 PM »

No way. Wright could play 1B.

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #210: April 29, 2012, 10:52:28 PM »
Zimmerman wouldn't last 50 games without going on the DL

Exactly what I was thinking.

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #211: April 29, 2012, 10:53:47 PM »
I say this of clear, unpanicked mind;

Bryce Harper needs to be hitting third Tuesday. Put AdaMVP LaRoche behind him in the order. LaRoche is a swinging a great bat right now and there is no way anyone can pitch around Bryce (or anyone) with Adam LaRoche behind him. I think Bryce gets some pitches in the zone he is ready to unload. If he gets on even to first then he has the speed to score if LaRoche even doubles.

We have a budding superstar on our hands. He isn't a complete stud yet, but at the very least we knows he has big time power. We have to keep the bat in his hands. I almost screamed in anger today when our runner took second while Bryce was batting today. How stupid can you be? Of course they would give Bryce nothing to hit at that.

You keep the bat in the hands of your best players. Put Bryce in the #3 hole, or even #2 infront of Werth, and let him swing that freaking stick.

We gotta start scoring.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #212: April 29, 2012, 11:05:54 PM »
trade for some freaking offense already rizzo, it's not going to fix itself.

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #213: April 29, 2012, 11:08:27 PM »
trade for some freaking offense already rizzo, it's not going to fix itself.

Who do you suggest we trade for this possible savior bat...?

Comeon man, chillax a little. We're 14-8. We're going to be ok. We were built as a pitching and defense team with enough offense to get bad, but both our #3 hitter (Silver Slugger) and #4 hitter (.300, 31 HRs) are out with injuries. Take the #3 and #4 hitters out of any offense and there will be struggles.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #214: April 29, 2012, 11:16:20 PM »
No way. Wright could play 1B.

Well I was thinking if we still had LaRoche.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #215: April 29, 2012, 11:16:27 PM »
Who do you suggest we trade for this possible savior bat...?

yoenis Cespedes  :D

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #216: April 29, 2012, 11:16:47 PM »
Well I was thinking if we still had LaRoche.

i still don't see laroche being here past this year

Offline Fan037

« Reply #217: April 29, 2012, 11:17:44 PM »
I'm sure they bat Harper in the 7th slot to keep him from feeling pressured.  But I agree with Smithian.  Harper can hit (certainly better than most in our line-up).  He should be moved up in the batting order.  As for pressure, he's already shown he enjoys pressure - that catch from left field to Ramos, the crash into the wall, his ability to hit.  This kid is a born player.  Let him do his thing!

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #218: April 29, 2012, 11:19:30 PM »
i still don't see laroche being here past this year

Well I was thinking about it happening this year.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #219: April 29, 2012, 11:29:36 PM »
Harper seems immune to pressure.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #220: April 30, 2012, 05:42:44 AM »
I say this of clear, unpanicked mind;

Bryce Harper needs to be hitting third Tuesday. Put AdaMVP LaRoche behind him in the order. LaRoche is a swinging a great bat right now and there is no way anyone can pitch around Bryce (or anyone) with Adam LaRoche behind him. I think Bryce gets some pitches in the zone he is ready to unload. If he gets on even to first then he has the speed to score if LaRoche even doubles.

We have a budding superstar on our hands. He isn't a complete stud yet, but at the very least we knows he has big time power. We have to keep the bat in his hands. I almost screamed in anger today when our runner took second while Bryce was batting today. How stupid can you be? Of course they would give Bryce nothing to hit at that.

You keep the bat in the hands of your best players. Put Bryce in the #3 hole, or even #2 infront of Werth, and let him swing that freaking stick.

We gotta start scoring.

I said exactly the same thing before Harper had even played a single game, and it didn't seem to have much support then, so I doubt two games later people are going to be clamoring for it. But yeah, Harper needs to be hitting third, and it's wasteful to not have him doing so considering the rest of our offense right now.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #221: April 30, 2012, 06:17:13 AM »
I said it before the season started that the back ups were no better than the collection we had last year save Nix / Ankiel.Derosa (though gone and hopefully for good) and Nady and Tracy have 13 hits in 104 AB's.This is Rizzos failure again.No excuse. So many better players were available like Cody Ross,Coco Crisp , Jerry Hairston ( and you are welcome to add to the list) etc.

These are bench players who only start when there are injuries.It seems that the FO forgets that we have more than our share. They know their role .Yes they would have cost double what the Nats are currently paying but their contributions could have gotten us several victories more than what has been a black hole the whole season.

Offline PC

« Reply #222: April 30, 2012, 07:03:01 AM »
Now, I'm really depressed.  I had never even considered that the terrible bench play was attributable to terrible bench pay.  I did a check at baseball-reference and found:

Chad Tracy, $700,000
Mark DeRosa $800,000
Xavier Nady $700,000
Roger Bernadina $435,000
Steve Lombardozzi  $481,000

All roughly veteran minimum (Bernadina and Lombardozzi aren't FA eligible) and we're getting what we paid for, veteran minimum performance.   :roll:

Jerry Hairston makes $2.25 million this year and $3.75 million next year.  Mark Kotsay, our torturer in SD, makes $1.25 million.  Cody Ross $3 million.  Hell, Laynce Nix makes $1.15 million this year and $1.35 million next.

We have to have the cheapest bench in baseball because there's not much room for less that's allowable by the rules.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #223: April 30, 2012, 07:21:45 AM »
Now, I'm really depressed.  I had never even considered that the terrible bench play was attributable to terrible bench pay.  I did a check at baseball-reference and found:

Chad Tracy, $700,000
Mark DeRosa $800,000
Xavier Nady $700,000
Roger Bernadina $435,000

All roughly veteran minimum (Bernadina and Lombardozzi aren't FA eligible) and we're getting what we paid for, veteran minimum performance.   :roll:

Jerry Hairston makes $2.25 million this year and $3.75 million next year.  Mark Kotsay, our torturer in SD, makes $1.25 million.  Cody Ross $3 million.  Hell, Laynce Nix makes $1.15 million this year and $1.35 million next.

We have to have the cheapest bench in baseball because there's not much room for less that's allowable by the rules.

Thank you for the research and substantiating my "mindfact".

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #224: April 30, 2012, 07:22:25 AM »

Chad Tracy, $700,000
Mark DeRosa $800,000
Xavier Nady $700,000
Roger Bernadina $435,000

Hey, at least Rizzo isn't wastinrg money on crappy bench players, Bowden would have gotten the same production for triple the cash.  Remember what Kasten used to say, money not spent this year is available next year.