Author Topic: Acta to get interview w/ Astros  (Read 2546 times)

Offline hammondsnats

Acta to get interview w/ Astros
« Topic Start: September 25, 2009, 04:07:49 PM »
Not sure if this is the right forum, but word is the Stros will interview Acta for their manager job.

http://www.chron.com/sports/photogallery/Possible_candidates_for_Astros.html (and heyman mentioned it too).

Offline houston-nat

Re: Acta to get interview w/ Astros
« Reply #1: September 25, 2009, 04:11:03 PM »
Wow. The Astros ARE hosed.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #2: September 25, 2009, 04:20:00 PM »
This has the ring of "Dog bites man."  He had a lot of time in the Astro organization before the Mets.  You'd figure they touch base with him.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #3: September 25, 2009, 04:22:34 PM »
that's an interesting list of names that writer cobbled together.

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #4: September 25, 2009, 04:50:46 PM »
Wow I can't come up with words to describe that list. Maybe we should make Brad Wilkerson our next manager since he had those Chevy Chase comercials.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #5: September 25, 2009, 04:55:07 PM »
Wow I can't come up with words to describe that list. Maybe we should make Brad Wilkerson our next manager since he had those Chevy Chase comercials.

Maybe even the guy who just looked like Wilkerson in the baseball themed PNC commercials that came later.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #6: September 25, 2009, 05:33:08 PM »
Even though I thought Acta had to go as the Nationals manager, I don't hate the guy.  I hope he can find success with another team and wish him well.

« Reply #7: September 26, 2009, 10:31:54 AM »
Even though I thought Acta had to go as the Nationals manager, I don't hate the guy.  I hope he can find success with another team and wish him well.

This.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #8: September 26, 2009, 06:41:08 PM »
why is this in The Wire, and not in Out of Town Scoreboard or the Former Nats Watch thread?

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #9: September 26, 2009, 09:14:22 PM »
why is this in The Wire, and not in Out of Town Scoreboard or the Former Nats Watch thread?

again look @ my post ... i mention i didn't know where to put it.  it's relating to a former nat manager, not player.  if it doesn't belong here, then someone move it ... i don't care.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #10: October 06, 2009, 01:34:08 PM »
Quote from: Jim Bowden Tweet
Manny Acta was best 3rd base coach in NL before his managing gig...which NL team will improve their base running with Acta this year?
:rofl:

Offline blue911

« Reply #11: October 06, 2009, 01:42:36 PM »
:rofl:

Which is why you shouldn't tweet when you drink.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #13: October 15, 2009, 10:11:19 PM »
I can't get away from that moron.

Offline PC

« Reply #14: October 16, 2009, 01:47:21 AM »
Yes, those back to back 100+ loss seasons must really be impressive to the front offices around baseball!

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #15: October 16, 2009, 02:01:09 AM »
Yes, those back to back 100+ loss seasons must really be impressive to the front offices around baseball!

He also never hit a homerun in his pro career, never made the majors, and managed the Kissimmee Astros! Winner is written all over him!

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #16: October 16, 2009, 08:59:50 AM »
But let's be honest - we're all just afraid he'll do much better somewhere else and make the Nats look even worse than they already do :?

Hell, before and shortly after he was fired, most around here didn't even think he deserved it, that it was just something that "had to be done."

Offline blue911

« Reply #17: October 16, 2009, 09:03:37 AM »
But let's be honest - we're all just afraid he'll do much better somewhere else and make the Nats look even worse than they already do :?

Hell, before and shortly after he was fired, most around here didn't even think he deserved it, that it was just something that "had to be done."

I think Manny would be better served working for Tony LaRussa,  where he could learn how to use his bullpen.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #18: October 16, 2009, 10:34:03 AM »
I think Manny would be better served working for Tony LaRussa,  where he could learn how to use his bullpen.

The Indians will be better off if Manny is working for Tommy LaSorda hawking Slim Fast.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #19: October 19, 2009, 01:27:45 PM »
Former Washington Nationals manager Manny Acta is getting a second interview with the Cleveland Indians.

Acta, fired by the Nationals in July, will meet with Indians owner Paul Dolan, general manager Mark Shapiro and other front-office personnel on Tuesday at Progressive Field. The Indians said Acta will be available to the media afterward.

ESPN analyst Bobby Valentine, whose New York Mets reached the World Series in 2000, is also a finalist for the job and will undergo a second interview in Cleveland this week, The Plain Dealer has reported.

The Indians are bringing as many as five finalists to Cleveland for second interviews after phone interviews last week.

Acta, 40, went 158-252 in two-plus seasons for the Nationals. He was fired after the team started 21-61 last season.

The Indians fired Eric Wedge in September.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #20: October 19, 2009, 01:59:34 PM »
So they're firing Eric Wedge for...the poor man's Eric Wedge?  That makes sense. :?

Offline blue911

« Reply #21: October 19, 2009, 02:37:50 PM »
So they're firing Eric Wedge for...the poor man's Eric Wedge?  That makes sense. :?

The Indian Dolans are related to the Knick Dolans.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #22: October 19, 2009, 03:38:25 PM »
FML.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #23: October 24, 2009, 11:26:55 PM »
I got a kick out of this Cleveland Plain Dealer article. It is an interview with the 3 lead candidates for manager - Valentine, Acta, and Torey Lovullo - about how to fix the Indians bullpen.  Seems they've had a bad bullpen in '08 & '09.  Wonder if Manny knows anything about bad bullpens?
http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index.ssf/2009/10/cleveland_indians_trio_of_mana.html
Acta, former manager of the Washington Nationals.

"In the American League, you need power arms. I think we're going in the right direction. If you look at the numbers, a lot of the guys here are able to miss bats and have good strikeout ratios.

"I think Chris Perez, who came over in a trade from St. Louis, can be huge for this bullpen. They already have Kerry Wood (closing). Jensen Lewis has been a good pitcher here out of the pen since 2007, including the playoffs.

"The main thing is having power arms because this is a hitting league. There is no break like there is in the National League after the seventh inning.

"I would love to have some balance, a minimum of two lefties in the bullpen who can get lefties out. I don't want lefties just to have lefties. They have to prove they can get lefties out.

"I would love to have a guy from the left and right side who can pitch multiple innings."

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #24: October 25, 2009, 11:44:06 AM »

"I would love to have some balance, a minimum of two lefties in the bullpen who can get lefties out. I don't want lefties just to have lefties. They have to prove they can get lefties out.

"I would love to have a guy from the left and right side who can pitch multiple innings."

This type of thinking is what caused Manny Acta to misuse Mike Hinckley. Why would you pitch Hinckley to more RHB than LHB?