Author Topic: Many not offered arbitration = Nats shopping list  (Read 1172 times)

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
Many not offered arbitration = Nats shopping list
« Topic Start: December 02, 2009, 06:53:55 PM »
According to the post today:

NEW YORK -- Yankees outfielder Johnny Damon, Houston shortstop Miguel Tejada and Dodgers pitcher Randy Wolf were among the free agents who weren't offered salary arbitration by Tuesday night's deadline, moves that enable new teams to sign them without losing draft picks.

Because all three were Type A players under the free-agent rankings, their former teams would have received two draft picks if they had been offered arbitration and then signed with different clubs.

Other Type As who did not receive arbitration offers included Dodgers second baseman Orlando Hudson; San Francisco catcher Bengie Molina; White Sox outfielder Jermaine Dye and reliever Octavio Dotel; Detroit second baseman Placido Polanco; Angels pitcher Darren Oliver; Houston pitcher LaTroy Hawkins; Minnesota shortstop Orlando Cabrera; and Cubs pitcher Kevin Gregg.

Forget about Damon and Miggy, the rest of that list is chock full of players we can use tomorrow.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Re: Many not offered arbitration = Nats shopping list
« Reply #1: December 02, 2009, 07:15:48 PM »
I'll take Randy Wolf and Orlando Hudson, please.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #2: December 02, 2009, 07:17:47 PM »
yep. really no excuse not to get Hudson. just dump Guzman. he will sulk if he has to come off the bench Lopez-style.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #3: December 02, 2009, 11:30:04 PM »
I'll take Randy Wolf and Orlando Hudson, please.

Given. If not Hudson, Polanco. If they want a catcher - Molina. Don't trust Dukes in RF - Dye. Need BP help? Dotel,Oliver, Gregg? Geezus. Type A free agents abound with no compensation required.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #4: December 03, 2009, 10:29:43 AM »
Given. If not Hudson, Polanco. If they want a catcher - Molina. Don't trust Dukes in RF - Dye. Need BP help? Dotel,Oliver, Gregg? Geezus. Type A free agents abound with no compensation required.

I am opposed to signing any bullpen pitchers unless they happen to be elite closers and there are non of those listed here. 

I'm not as big on Polonco as most and I don't see the value of Molina (unless it's Yadier :P ).  If we're going to sign a catcher to back up Flores, I'd just as soon have Bard.

And I haven't jumped off the Dukes bandwagon just yet but I am on the back bumper.  And I think Dye is going to add anything more to this team than a healthy Dukes would anyway.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #5: December 03, 2009, 10:34:57 AM »
And I think Dye is going to add anything more to this team than a healthy Dukes would anyway.

Wrong. He would add payroll burden and age.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #6: December 03, 2009, 10:39:14 AM »
Wrong. He would add payroll burden and age.

I mistyped.  I meant to say:  "And I don't think Dye is going to add anything more to this team than a healthy Dukes would anyway."

But it looks like you picked up on that....    :lol:

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #7: December 03, 2009, 11:16:12 AM »
Dye cannot field his position, and his bat is not consistent.  unless there is some one we want to play in Rf for the long term instead of Dukes, I'm inclined to go with Dukes.

Wolf will now have a serious bidding war.  I'd imagine a Meche / Silva -type contract.  The lack of compensation should add about $5 million to his contract (the value of a 1st round pick to a top half team).

As for catchers, while he is not a type A, I've liked Mike Redmond as good back up capable of filling in for a month.  He has been Mauer's back up.

i'm not to wild about O-Cab or Gregg, but I like Oliver quite a bit.  he is more than a LOOGY, although he is good in that role. He can even spot start.  I prefer him to Villone by a lot.

One more thought about Polanco - If we view Espinosa and Desmond as SS candidates, then Polanco holding 2d for a couple of years might not be a bad thing.  If he really is in line for a 3 year contract ot play 3d for Philadelphia, I would say let him go.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #8: December 03, 2009, 12:17:46 PM »
Wolf will now have a serious bidding war.  I'd imagine a Meche / Silva -type contract.  The lack of compensation should add about $5 million to his contract (the value of a 1st round pick to a top half team).

Usually a lack of compensation results in LOWER contract value.

:icon_mrgreen:

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9: December 03, 2009, 02:35:37 PM »
Usually a lack of compensation results in LOWER contract value.

:icon_mrgreen:

Huh?  If I had to give up a 1st round pick worth $5m to sign Wolf, I'd be less inclined to sign him, therefore I'd pay less. 

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Huh?  If I had to give up a 1st round pick worth $5m to sign Wolf, I'd be less inclined to sign him, therefore I'd pay less. 

Okay, I guess I have to say that I have no idea what you mean by your phrase "The lack of compensation..."

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Okay, I guess I have to say that I have no idea what you mean by your phrase "The lack of compensation..."

The lack of compensation that the Dodgers would have gotten had they offered arbitration and Wolf signed elsewhere.  That's why I mentioned the value of a first round pick in the original post.  Instead of having to give up a first round pick, the signing team does not have to give the Dodgers any compensation.  He is likely to get more bidders now than before.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
The lack of compensation that the Dodgers would have gotten had they offered arbitration and Wolf signed elsewhere.  That's why I mentioned the value of a first round pick in the original post.  Instead of having to give up a first round pick, the signing team does not have to give the Dodgers any compensation.  He is likely to get more bidders now than before.

Ok, thanks for the clarification.  Not trying to be a pain.  I took the word compensation to be referring to Wolf's own compensation, which made no sense ( I know) but was the source of the confusion.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Tom -  no, I made an assumption or two and compressed what I wrote. Would have been better had I broke down multiple thoughts into multiple sentences.

Offline houston-nat

Justin Duchscherer has declined his arbitration offer.