Author Topic: Strasburg in October..  (Read 44030 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Strasburg in October..
« Reply #200: July 05, 2012, 09:25:24 AM »
that would be Zack Greinke

I'm not sure we have the prospects for Greinke. I assume that the deal will be something similar to what the Brewers gave up to get Sabathia

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #201: July 05, 2012, 09:28:58 AM »
I think the price has to be lower- the Brewers got Sabathia, a sandwich pick, and a great shot at a first round pick; we'd just get Greinke

Offline Slateman

« Reply #202: July 05, 2012, 09:34:55 AM »
I think the price has to be lower- the Brewers got Sabathia, a sandwich pick, and a great shot at a first round pick; we'd just get Greinke

For a month and whatever post season run we go on.

Don't get me wrong, I'd do it. But I'm not sure we have what the Brewers want. They're going to want young pitching, and I don't think what we have is good enough.

Offline Wheat

« Reply #203: July 05, 2012, 09:46:29 AM »
Agreed on not being sure what pieces we have to make that trade.

We seriously don't have anybody in Harrisburg or Syracuse who might deserve a late season call up? I know you've got Lannan there and god forbid, Wang again. What about Daniel Rosenbaum?

Offline ZIM4MVP

« Reply #204: July 05, 2012, 09:55:06 AM »
For a month and whatever post season run we go on.

Don't get me wrong, I'd do it. But I'm not sure we have what the Brewers want. They're going to want young pitching, and I don't think what we have is good enough.

I think he is headed to Texas or we will be facing him in ATL

Offline Slateman

« Reply #205: July 05, 2012, 09:56:00 AM »
Agreed on not being sure what pieces we have to make that trade.

We seriously don't have anybody in Harrisburg or Syracuse who might deserve a late season call up? I know you've got Lannan there and god forbid, Wang again. What about Daniel Rosenbaum?

Maya :stir:

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #206: July 05, 2012, 09:57:01 AM »
greinke would be awesome.  let him join up with gio/ejax/JZ and then see how he could be part of this long term.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #207: July 05, 2012, 10:02:26 AM »
I think he is headed to Texas or we will be facing him in ATL

Hmmmm ... Texas would be interesting. That would cost them Profar or Perez though. I'm not sure they'd want to part with that. Maybe Profar.

The Braves definitely have what the Brewers are looking for. Young arms.

If we did trade for Grienke, it would have to be a rental. Not sure the payroll could handle the kind of contract he's going to want. And, frankly, I'd rather sign up guys like Morse, Zimmermann, and Strasburg. Plus Grienke has been treated for social anxiety disorder and depression. Not sure that would be great for the clubhouse. Or in the playoffs.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #208: July 05, 2012, 10:05:23 AM »
greinke would be awesome.  let him join up with gio/ejax/JZ and then see how he could be part of this long term.

he has an expiring contract

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #209: July 05, 2012, 10:06:15 AM »
he has an expiring contract

yeah no crap.  but that's why i said let him play with these guys, he may like it and want to stick long term. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #210: July 05, 2012, 10:50:13 AM »
he may like it and want to stick long term. 

:money:

until MASN gets settled, I doubt they'd make the trade if the goal is to keep him long term

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #211: July 05, 2012, 11:18:47 AM »
:money:

until MASN gets settled, I doubt they'd make the trade if the goal is to keep him long term

you do realize we have the richest owners in baseball, i think all of pro sports. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #212: July 05, 2012, 11:21:19 AM »
you do realize we have the richest owners in baseball, i think all of pro sports. 

Who have shown no willingness to invest their own money in the team

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #213: July 05, 2012, 11:29:02 AM »
Who have shown no willingness to invest their own money in the team

Like they're suddenly going to if they get a major RSN house-of-cards windfall?  Come on ICE - just paying more of the LBO debt down.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #214: July 05, 2012, 11:40:50 AM »
If I was Strasburg and stuck watching the playoffs from the bench, I'd be pissed. Funny no one seems to approach it from that angle. Granted I don't think it changes anything.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #215: July 05, 2012, 11:46:56 AM »
Good to see the thread has now turned to replacing Stras in the rotation as opposed to extending him past his innings limit. But that's the reality and I'm pleased to see that most of us are now accepting it. ;)

Offline Slateman

« Reply #216: July 05, 2012, 11:47:45 AM »
If I was Strasburg and stuck watching the playoffs from the bench, I'd be pissed. Funny no one seems to approach it from that angle. Granted I don't think it changes anything.

This team has shown no inclination towards caring if Strasburg is pissed or not.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #217: July 05, 2012, 11:48:24 AM »

If I were him, I would be more concerned about my health and career than a playoff run. But that's just me. I can't speak for him.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #218: July 05, 2012, 11:49:11 AM »
This team has shown no inclination towards caring if Strasburg is pissed or not.

Nor should they.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #219: July 05, 2012, 11:51:57 AM »
I were him, I would be more concerned about my health and career than a playoff run. But that's just me. I can't speak for him.

maybe in hindsight, but as bad as the Marino story is, could you imagine if he spent that first superbowl on the bench? If he's a competitor sitting on the bench with a non-acute injury may be hard on him- that doesn't mean it isn't the right move, but I doubt he's happy with it

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #220: July 05, 2012, 11:56:10 AM »
I doubt the Nats want to spare enough players to trade for a few months of Greinke. The team is playing well, and will get better when Storen and Werth return. And Tracy. Maybe Chris Marrero is surplus, and Lannan, but they don't seem like enough to get Greinke.

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #221: July 05, 2012, 12:25:27 PM »
Good to see the thread has now turned to replacing Stras in the rotation as opposed to extending him past his innings limit. But that's the reality and I'm pleased to see that most of us are now accepting it. ;)

but where is the evidence that somehow pitching 190 IP will hurt him in the long run? Kerry Wood pitched 166 IP as a rookie and got injured.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #222: July 05, 2012, 12:28:42 PM »
Kerry Wood pitched 166 IP as a rookie and got injured.

Kerry Wood was also serious abused and overused by his HS coach. 

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #223: July 05, 2012, 03:36:17 PM »
but where is the evidence that somehow pitching 190 IP will hurt him in the long run? Kerry Wood pitched 166 IP as a rookie and got injured.

It's somewhere on the website of the American Sports Medicine Institute.

Seriously, give it up. They didn't just make up the number. They are following the advice of some of the top sports med people in the world who know something about TJ recovery.

Frankly, I'm still in shock that we're having this conversation. It's a no-brainer. You don't blow off medical advice and risk such a prized asset for a run at the ring. It's just wrong.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #224: July 05, 2012, 03:39:03 PM »
maybe in hindsight, but as bad as the Marino story is, could you imagine if he spent that first superbowl on the bench? If he's a competitor sitting on the bench with a non-acute injury may be hard on him- that doesn't mean it isn't the right move, but I doubt he's happy with it

OK, let use this for a hypothetical. Say Marino had suffered a concussion and the doctors told him to sit out the Super Bowl or risk further injury that could possibly end his career. Would you recommend he play? And, yes, I think TJ and concussions are somewhat comparable in that they are career threatening.