Author Topic: Nationals @ Mets, Game 2  (Read 25407 times)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Re: Nationals @ Mets, Game 2
« Reply #876: April 10, 2011, 12:28:36 AM »
I really don't think this is the appropriate place for this discussion. Perhaps if someone started a poll thread where we could discuss the team's biggest problem . . .

Offline PC

« Reply #877: April 10, 2011, 12:29:46 AM »
Oh come on. This is an absurd comment. Like he choose to hit into the GIDP vs hitting the 2 run homer.

No, he didn't chose it...but still it happened.  That makes it ok to mention.

And yes, he's not the only or biggest problem but he is one of the more well-paid problems (hence the Haynes- prefix).

Again, do none of you see anything wrong with what we've gotten from Jayson Werth this (yes, early) season?  His performance is completely beyond reproach?

If so, that is something I don't understand at all.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #878: April 10, 2011, 12:45:27 AM »
No, he didn't chose it...but still it happened.  That makes it ok to mention.

And yes, he's not the only or biggest problem but he is one of the more well-paid problems (hence the Haynes- prefix).

Again, do none of you see anything wrong with what we've gotten from Jayson Werth this (yes, early) season?  His performance is completely beyond reproach?

If so, that is something I don't understand at all.

No I agree, he deserves to be questioned about his play here so far. The thing is, when we have all of these problems, this one is merely a paper cut to a gash wound. His 2 run bomb was memorable for sure but how many people hit clutch crap like that? The GIDP happened and its a shame. You know what else happened? Ramos and Ankiel failed to deliver with bases loaded. Ankiel failed to deliver with man on second and third. I am not placing any blame on Ramos or Ankiel, I am just saying that timely hitting is another problem with this club. Where was the double with bases loaded? Where was the single with man on third and second? The GIDP could be placed underneath that category.

What do you want Werth to do? Hit 5 home runs in 7 games? He's gotten on base and he's given us opportunities. If you are questioning his low batting average, look at his career numbers vs Florida. They are awful. Who did we play last series? Florida. I seem to think of the "stats don't lie" phrase in this occurrence. That is a big factor towards his low average.  If you remove his Florida series, he has a .315 average.

I will continue to talk about this in the thread Chief has posted but I was writing this at the time.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #879: April 10, 2011, 01:15:58 AM »
I'm in the process of watching the game after getting home from work.  Couple of thoughts:

- Wilson Ramos = beast.  How did Rizzo pull that one off?
- that was a bomb from Espinosa.  Desi's too.
- Loved the base running in the 3rd and the more aggressive attitude in general on the base paths.
- I wanted to say it was a kind of a meh debut for Gorzolanny, but he only gave up 4 hits in his 5.1. But there were a couple of things that might still lead me to giving it a "meh" grade.  There were a couple of moments where I was disappointed by the mental toughness by him.  Giving up the homerun to Beltran after the ball that should have been called 3rd strike, giving up the triple after Hairiston's gaffe.  I know it was only 4 hits, but the ones he did give up were awfully big ones.
- I'm not going to comment on Hairston's play, you guys have done that enough, I'm sure.  Credit to him for facing the music after the game, though and not slipping out of the clubhouse, but he's gotta make that play, every time.  It's not a hard play, it's one I'm certain most of us could either make right now or could have at one time. 
- I'm not sure what to do with Broderick.  I think they should make a deal with the Cardinals to keep him around, but he's not ready for this level yet, IMO.  I think he might have a future, but not yet.  I do think he earned the look, though in spring training, but now that the bullets are real, AA or AAA would be best for now. 
- This was a tough one and a little strange, for a lot of reasons, hope they can rebound tomorrow.  It's another winnable game.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #880: April 10, 2011, 01:21:02 AM »
I also wanted to say that I'm glad to see they are going to wear the alternate red jerseys on the road some.  It looked pretty sharp. 

Offline PC

« Reply #881: April 10, 2011, 02:19:08 AM »
How would your perception of Broderick have changed if he didn't come out for the 8th inning and just pitched in the 6th and 7th?  I don't buy the "the there was no one else available" line.  Chad Gaudin only threw 16 pitches the day before and he didn't pitch at all, the day before that.  And he's supposed to be long relief!

It should have been Chad Gaudin's head in the noose for the 8th inning.  It was so wrong to seen Broderick back out for the 8th inning!

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #882: April 10, 2011, 02:25:07 AM »
How would your perception of Broderick have changed if he didn't come out for the 8th inning and just pitched in the 6th and 7th?  I don't buy the "the there was no one else available" line.  Chad Gaudin only threw 16 pitches the day before and he didn't pitch at all, the day before that.  And he's supposed to be long relief!

It should have been Chad Gaudin's head in the noose for the 8th inning.  It was so wrong to seen Broderick back out for the 8th inning!
I don't know.  He looked fine in the 7th.  I think if you're a pitcher at this level coming out of the pen, you should be able to go two innings at least occasionally.

Offline PC

« Reply #883: April 10, 2011, 02:35:24 AM »
I don't know.  He looked fine in the 7th.  I think if you're a pitcher at this level coming out of the pen, you should be able to go two innings at least occasionally.

But he shouldn't be at this level. That's why you don't push that third inning, at this point in the season.  He pitched in two innings.  That is a reasonable amount for a non-long reliever with any level of experience.  Why push someone who's so inexperienced out for the third inning, this early in the season?  How about waiting until he's had three or four more MLB outings before you try something like this?

Think about it.  How many other relievers have pitched in three innings, in one outing, this season, not Burnett, not Storen, not Clippard, not Coffey, not Gaudin (the supposed long reliever), not Slaten.  The FIRST TIME Riggleman does it, he does it with the reliever who's never pitched above AA.

Forget about this particular team, it is a rarity for a reliever to pitch in three innings in a single outing because of the nature of non-long relief.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #884: April 10, 2011, 08:07:55 AM »
I'm not going to quote PC's rant, but I agree you treat Broderick differently than Batista :smh:

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #885: April 10, 2011, 09:57:59 AM »
I don't know.  He looked fine in the 7th.  I think if you're a pitcher at this level coming out of the pen, you should be able to go two innings at least occasionally.

I think they're trying to decide what to do with Broderick, thus the extended look.

I think others covered what I would have said about Werth. He's doing pretty well, and he'll have some more clutch moments this year. The "Haynes-Werth" nickname is particularly annoying, though, because Haynesworth was a fat bum who wasn't a team player and didn't show up to work. Werth is embracing his role in the two hole and having great at-bats, getting on base. It has to be the worst contract in DC in recent memory, and Snyder had the gaul to make fun of it to take attention away from his Haynesworth contract. At least we have a player who shows up to work. 

Not to mention that Haynesworth gets into legal trouble by fighting and harassing local citizens.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #886: April 10, 2011, 10:08:56 AM »
I was forced to listen to 1580 last night which was fading, and completely gone just as Hairston dropped the fly on the warning track. Charlie and Dave were in the middle of conjecturing that Hairston thought Ankiel was calling him off... then nothing. Damn weak-ass radio broadcasts.

Can anyone tell me what happened? Did he just flat stone-glove it? Was he veering away from it? Any explanation?

Thanks. The papers and blogs are light on this this morning.

Online blue911

« Reply #887: April 10, 2011, 10:14:59 AM »
I was forced to listen to 1580 last night which was fading, and completely gone just as Hairston dropped the fly on the warning track. Charlie and Dave were in the middle of conjecturing that Hairston thought Ankiel was calling him off... then nothing. Damn weak-ass radio broadcasts.

Can anyone tell me what happened? Did he just flat stone-glove it? Was he veering away from it? Any explanation?

Thanks. The papers and blogs are light on this this morning.

Hairston butchered it. Charlie and Dave were probably stunned that a Nationals centerfielder was actually backing up the play and thus confused.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #888: April 10, 2011, 10:19:32 AM »
Thanks. I like how you answered my question and derided our outfield play in general at the same time. Nice. :)

Hairston butchered it. Charlie and Dave were probably stunned that a Nationals centerfielder was actually backing up the play and thus confused.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #889: April 10, 2011, 11:10:03 AM »
Hairston flinched at the last second - it did look like he thought he was about to run into Ankiel.  The ball just kind of glanced off the side of his glove.

It was weird to see - kind of little league-ish with the kid who is afraid to catch the ball.