Author Topic: Twins trade Johan Santana to Mets  (Read 7003 times)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Re: Twins trade Johan Santana to Mets
« Reply #50: January 31, 2008, 10:57:45 AM »
"Delgado had his best power years in Toronto from 1998 through 2003 when a lot of other power hitters were having career years, but now, going on 36, he has declined when one might traditionally expect a slugger to decline."

:rofl: What does this hint at?

What a ridiculous mixed message. Are a lot of players the exact same age as Delgado?

SoxNationVA

« Reply #51: January 31, 2008, 12:27:23 PM »
Absolutely great trade by the Mets (and a total no-brainer).
The Twins are mis-managed again as they could have gotten MUCH more for Santana
had they taken the offers of the Sox/Yanks.

When you know you're going to lose him in a year, you've GOT to get full value now...bad job Twinkies!

http://jim-hill.blogspot.com/

« Reply #52: January 31, 2008, 12:37:31 PM »
I love how these idiot sportswriters are saying Omar and even Willie Randolph are geniuses for making this signing. What a load of crap.  It was as intelligent as Ryan Zimmerman falling into JimBo's lap.

They just wanted to get Santana out of the AL.  That is why the Twins made idiots of themselves.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #53: January 31, 2008, 12:38:36 PM »
why dont you copy-paste what you wrote on your blog here?

also, it remains to be seen if the could have gotten much more. they probably could have gotten a little more. but by sending him out of the AL, it could potentially keep them in the wild card hunt longer at some point in the next six years by virtue of the yanks or sox having 3-5 less wins. it also minimizes their chance of having to face him in the playoffs if they get there. 

the twins have made good on these trades in the past and are good at developing players, so the thought of them being in wildcard contention or in the playoffs in the future is not far fetched.  maybe they'll find another santana in a rule 5 draft.

in summary getting him out of the AL is not insignificant and perhaps getting a little bit less for him might be worth it

« Reply #54: January 31, 2008, 12:45:40 PM »
why dont you copy-paste what you wrote on your blog here?

I thought about that but didn't want to force it on anyone when they can simply just go to the blog.  But okay.

www.natsnq.com
(Article here posted without links to the articles in question but they are posted in a post a few posts back)

Go Cry To Your Mommy

Sportswriters I find are a cowardly bunch. They are not capable of producing a single, original thought that they can call their own. I imagine their inner circle is comparable to a sleep over of high school cheerleaders where they do each other’s hair and decide who is cute and who is not.

I say this because since the Johan Santana trade I’ve been hearing the same thing from all of them: The Mets Are Back! I wasn’t planning on even mentioning this trade on this blog because it does not pertain to an important team like the Washington Nationals but then I read this piece by Thom Loverro from the Washington Times and decided that enough is a enough.

I’m going to be the first to say it: To hell with Johan Santana.

The Mets are being wheeled out as some sort of genius for this signing but really, the best pitcher in baseball is available: Who wouldn’t want to sign him? Its really a no brainer. All that prevents any team from doing it is price and prospects and the Mets certainly paid heavy in both. Omar “The Sponge” Minaya once again drains the team’s resources and farm system. He is a franchise killer (see Expos) and it is a fact the Mets fans are going to learn the hard way. Whack it hard enough, that instant gratification can blind you. Add the fact that the Mets bullpen is questionable, the health of the rest of the rotation is questionable, and that the line-up is beginning to look like Bingo Night at the VFW, then the team from NY doesn’t seem that scary, well, not as scary as the sportswriters make them out to be.

As Nats fans, we shouldn’t be scared. We’ve faced Santana before and we beat him. Hell, we threw a snot nosed pitcher named Levale Speigner at him and we beat him. We were horrid in nearly every offensive statistic and we still beat him. Santana is not unbeatable and we shouldn’t give in to the pansy sportswriters and believe it to be so.
When he comes to DC to face us he will be facing a whole new team with potentially more offensive punch. Screw Santana.

Omar The Sponge will burn Santana out. That NY market will chew him up. He becomes another easy out. The Mets will still be formidable and they will be in the mix, but we can make pancakes out of them. We did last season. We put the butter on their historic collapse. We can do it again. Santana or no Santana. To hell with him. LET’S LIGHT HIM UP!!!

Take that Loverro, you coward.

UPDATE: The New York Times knows what I am talking about.

SoxNationVA

« Reply #55: January 31, 2008, 01:11:52 PM »
the twins have made good on these trades in the past and are good at developing players.....

Yes you're right....they developed DAVID ORTIZ before he was BIG PAPI! That worked out well too!

http://jim-hill@blogspot.com/

Offline Dave B

« Reply #56: January 31, 2008, 01:17:23 PM »
theyve been pretty successful with little money. there is no reason to think they can't continue.

the aj pierzynski trade worked out pretty well

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #57: January 31, 2008, 01:23:11 PM »
That had more to do with the idiocy of the Giants' front office than anything.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #58: January 31, 2008, 02:07:55 PM »
That had more to do with the idiocy of the Giants' front office than anything.

The Twins also just dealt with the Mets front office, who basically gave us Milledge, Loduca, and Estrada for Church and Schneider.

We wont really be able to judge this deal for 3 years or so, but aside from letting Oritz go, the Twins have been pretty good at evaluating talent. 

If in three years, the twins are good after some of these prospects and draft picks (i think they should have gotten 2 for Torii hunter) pan out, it helps that they wont have to worry about Santana until the World Series at the earliest

Offline blue911

« Reply #59: January 31, 2008, 02:38:45 PM »
the aj pierzynski trade worked out pretty well

Speaking of which, has anybody heard anything about Francisco Liriano?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #60: January 31, 2008, 08:49:21 PM »
Speaking of which, has anybody heard anything about Francisco Liriano?

Did he get Tommy John surgery?

Offline blue911

« Reply #61: February 01, 2008, 12:04:00 AM »
Did he get Tommy John surgery?

Yes at the end of the 2006 season. I haven't heard anything about him since.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #62: February 01, 2008, 12:11:14 AM »
I looked up Liriano on Yahoo! Sports.  All of the latest reports indicate that he'll be ready for the start of ST.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #63: February 01, 2008, 01:34:32 PM »
apparently there is a 5:00 deadline to reach a deal.  i wonder if this is going to get interesting

maybe linda cropp can help them out

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #64: February 01, 2008, 01:46:34 PM »
 :funny:

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #65: February 01, 2008, 03:03:48 PM »
apparently there is a 5:00 deadline to reach a deal.  i wonder if this is going to get interesting

maybe linda cropp can help them out

Nah, she's out of power isn't she?  I mean she lost the election to Fenty for Mayor.  She's no longer City Council chairperson.  Not sure what she's doing now!

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #66: February 01, 2008, 03:50:55 PM »
Nah, she's out of power isn't she?  I mean she lost the election to Fenty for Mayor.  She's no longer City Council chairperson.  Not sure what she's doing now!

Vacationing in NYC.

Offline PC

« Reply #67: February 01, 2008, 05:23:41 PM »
Deadline extended to 7:00pm.

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #68: February 01, 2008, 05:25:58 PM »
I'm listening to MLB.  Santana wants between 150 -175 mil over (I think) 6 years.  Not sure if that's 6 years including this one, or 6 years added to this one making it 7. 

I think that's too much for a pitcher who could throw his arm out (see Steve Stone)

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #69: February 01, 2008, 06:03:30 PM »
I'm listening to MLB.  Santana wants between 150 -175 mil over (I think) 6 years.  Not sure if that's 6 years including this one, or 6 years added to this one making it 7. 

I think that's too much for a pitcher who could throw his arm out (see Steve Stone)

Always about the O's :rofl:

They have 1 hour left to get it done. I suspect they'll get it done or that would be a disaster.

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #70: February 01, 2008, 06:06:19 PM »

Always about the O's :rofl:

They have 1 hour left to get it done. I suspect they'll get it done or that would be a disaster.

Yeah because that's the only other team I'm familiar with.  Actually the guy on MLB said the same thing.  Usually signing a pitcher for that long for that much, usually doesn't work out.  We shall see!

Offline spidernat

« Reply #71: February 01, 2008, 06:20:25 PM »
Yeah because that's the only other team I'm familiar with.  Actually the guy on MLB said the same thing.  Usually signing a pitcher for that long for that much, usually doesn't work out.  We shall see!

Yes. It has the potential for it blow up in their faces and I hope it does since it's the Mets.  :icon_mrgreen:

We'll know shortly if they got it done.

Offline PC

« Reply #72: February 01, 2008, 06:57:50 PM »
Sportsline.com is reporting that the deal is done.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #73: February 01, 2008, 07:01:22 PM »
Sportsline.com is reporting that the deal is done.

ESPN also said it is done although they have not released numbers.

Offline PC

« Reply #74: February 01, 2008, 07:21:47 PM »
See, now I hate having to wish he blows out his arm.  :-[

Unfortunately that's the only way this benefits the Nationals.