Author Topic: Postmortem  (Read 2513 times)

Offline rileyn

Postmortem
« Topic Start: October 14, 2016, 06:33:14 AM »
I've got nothing left.  Thanks to all of you in your own unique ways for making this years Nats ride more enjoyable.  I don't always post, but I read every comment.  I feel completely empty this morning but I'm sure by the time I make my trip down to West Palm this spring, I will be ready for a new season.  Right now though, it's hard.  Real hard.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Postmortem
« Reply #1: October 14, 2016, 06:52:19 AM »
Ditto (except the West Palm stuff)

Offline captkirk42

• Curly W Cards
« Reply #2: October 14, 2016, 08:22:53 AM »
Yes it is always hard the first few hours after a tragic loss. It will be easier in a few days. For some maybe not until after the World Series.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #3: October 14, 2016, 09:16:56 AM »
Got home at 2:15 last night due to the transportation mess after the game, and was up at 5:58 AM.  Pretty tired and frustrated right now.  I can't think through the game too much right now.  I'll miss games to go to.  Felt bad saying by to the usher in our section.  I was on my feet most of the game but was kind of dumbfounded by how both halves of the 7th went down. 

When Turner's smash to center dropped over Turner, I thought of Hattori.  Weird, I was thinking about conversations on the Board as each weird play (Senley and Werth, Werthless Ks, Bazooka arm, Dusty's not a playoff manager,  where's Burnett, Harper megathread, MVP Murphy . . .).  Conversation here will be pretty down for a while.  Ain't no sunshine when she's gone.  Hey, if it is a post-mortem, it has to have a 70s song reference in my post.

! No longer available

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #4: October 14, 2016, 09:53:39 AM »
No more baseball for me this year. If the Nats aren't in it, I have other crap to do.

But we'll see anyone who is going at the new Spring Training facility March 12-18.

Yes it is always hard the first few hours after a tragic loss. It will be easier in a few days. For some maybe not until after the World Series.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #5: October 14, 2016, 10:02:27 AM »
This really sucks, but we're not alone.

Rangers: Best team in the AL and they get swept by the Wild Card team in three games. Not even close.

Red Sox: High expectations, Big Papi's final year, and they get swept too - by a team that had basically zero expectations with most of their rotation out.

Giants: After taking Game 3, having a 3-run lead in the 9th of Game 4, and the whole even-year thing, forcing a Game 5 looked inevitable and then they blew that lead and it all came crashing down.

It's a cruel sport sometimes.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #6: October 14, 2016, 10:09:09 AM »
Rangers were overrated.

Red Sox got skunked.

Giants were lucky to even be in the playoffs and played better than they should've.

I don't want that company.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #7: October 14, 2016, 10:13:19 AM »
I thought this team was better balanced than the previous years, despite obvious flaws. Even with the injuries, they still showed up and battled and gave themselves a chance in each game. Not surprising that certain concerns all year ended up being their downfall.

My three keys to the game were Max keeping the ball in the park, Righty bats doing their jobs, and Dusty learning something from his previous losses - particularly about being one batter too late on the decisions and not understanding matchups. Unfortunately, they were unable to succeed on all three keys, and each ended up being the difference in their own ways. Still a bit pissed that the failure to find a CF ended up leaving us with Danny throughout the playoffs. Still confounded by roster make up decisions. Still not sure that Harper is healthy, but he still was able to do some little things that helped scrape runs across and given them chances to score runs. Still pissed that so many guys are unable to fly out with a guy on third and one out.

All in all though, despite the little failures, I though these guys showed up. This wasn't as much a choke job as just being on the wrong end of some things - that's baseball. I think Roberts managed like there was no tomorrow and Dusty never did, and that was at least part of the difference (which may be generous to Dusty.) I always had a fear that while Dusty would keep the club house happy, when it came to pushing buttons, his stupidity would end up costing them. It did. And Bob Henley's too.

One shining difference was Melancon. Still can't believe that Rizzo allowed Storen to have so many additional chances to freak over the team. Mark did his job. Trea is the future. I expect Max to be Max for more years, and the team to be in a good position for continued success. I just wish that it didn't seem like every year they missed out on that one hole they failed to plug, because of either Rizzo hubris or Lerner cheapness. Was hoping they would get through the first round just once, even if the Cubs were looming. Oh well. Next season.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #8: October 14, 2016, 11:02:05 AM »
Rangers were overrated.

I don't want that company.

We are that company.  In fact, we're the President of that company.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #9: October 14, 2016, 11:07:43 AM »
One shining difference was Melancon. Still can't believe that Rizzo allowed Storen to have so many additional chances to freak over the team. Mark did his job. Trea is the future. I expect Max to be Max for more years, and the team to be in a good position for continued success. I just wish that it didn't seem like every year they missed out on that one hole they failed to plug, because of either Rizzo hubris or Lerner cheapness. Was hoping they would get through the first round just once, even if the Cubs were looming. Oh well. Next season.

I'm starting to think our window for continued success is closing.  The one big contract who seems to have paid off the best so far is Werth and he's only got one more year.  Zimmerman is aging, Harper will leave soon, Rendon looks good at times.  But the lack of talent for position players in the farm is alarming. 

Plus, the Dodgers are going to continue to improve because they have tons of money.  The Cubs are no longer a couple of years away - they're great now and they are poised to continue their success.  I don't think the Mets are going to be down for long with their pitching and their ability to purchase bats.

I'm worried that when Harper leaves that will be the end of the line.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #10: October 14, 2016, 11:09:23 AM »
I'm starting to think our window for continued success is closing.  The one big contract who seems to have paid off the best so far is Werth and he's only got one more year.  Zimmerman is aging, Harper will leave soon, Rendon looks good at times.  But the lack of talent for position players in the farm is alarming. 

Plus, the Dodgers are going to continue to improve because they have tons of money.  The Cubs are no longer a couple of years away - they're great now and they are poised to continue their success.  I don't think the Mets are going to be down for long with their pitching and their ability to purchase bats.

I'm worried that when Harper leaves that will be the end of the line.

I think the Braves and Phillies will continue to get better too. Both teams have a lot of young talent. The Marlins obviously are dealing with a big setback, but they're still a formidable foe. The NL East is going to be tougher going forward.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #11: October 14, 2016, 11:15:26 AM »
I agree with SSB - this time, the team didn't choke, didn't collapse, didn't epically fall on its face. It just got outplayed. And it had fight - the Heisey home run, in particular, that was fight.

I'm not as heartbroken as everyone else. Yeah, it's sad, but the remaining four playoff teams are good, and there will be a lot of fun games to watch. I'll be rooting for the AL teams.

Good season. Loved watching Trea Turner and loved seeing Ramos and Strasburg put it together. Max is dazzling to watch. This was a fun year.

Might have to change my avatar, though.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #12: October 14, 2016, 11:19:18 AM »
We are that company.  In fact, we're the President of that company.

Fair point. Winning the NL East is no accomplishment

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #13: October 14, 2016, 12:14:07 PM »
I agree with SSB - this time, the team didn't choke, didn't collapse, didn't epically fall on its face. It just got outplayed. And it had fight - the Heisey home run, in particular, that was fight.

I'm not as heartbroken as everyone else. Yeah, it's sad, but the remaining four playoff teams are good, and there will be a lot of fun games to watch. I'll be rooting for the AL teams.

Good season. Loved watching Trea Turner and loved seeing Ramos and Strasburg put it together. Max is dazzling to watch. This was a fun year.

I kind of feel the same way, going into the playoffs I had no realistic expectation that we (or LA) will get past the Cubs, but it is still disappointing to not at least clear the first round, especially when we were up 2-1.  This was a very even series, any team could have won any game, and both teams pretty much sucked with RISP.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #14: October 14, 2016, 12:15:26 PM »
I kind of feel the same way, going into the playoffs I had no realistic expectation that we (or LA) will get past the Cubs, but it is still disappointing to not at least clear the first round, especially when we were up 2-1.  This was a very even series, any team could have won any game, and both teams pretty much sucked with RISP.

Agreed. I thought with 2 chances to bring it home that they could make it happen, but I knew that beating the Cubs in the next round would be a longshot. Oh well.

Offline Optics

« Reply #15: October 14, 2016, 12:17:18 PM »
One thing is clear: this team, similar to the Caps team, has a core of sackless losers. They're talented enough to win a bunch of regular season games but that's it, they don't have that "it" factor that it takes to win a postseason series or two(or three). Its kinda like the Reds team with Votto, Phillips, etc. They never got past the NLDS either.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #16: October 14, 2016, 12:44:05 PM »

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!    ;)

Offline NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #17: October 14, 2016, 12:53:40 PM »

No love for Rendon?

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #18: October 14, 2016, 01:32:13 PM »
I'm starting to think our window for continued success is closing. 

There's just a small crack left in that window. Just enough for maybe a crushing loss in the wild card round.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #19: October 14, 2016, 01:37:25 PM »
There's just a small crack left in that window. Just enough for maybe a crushing loss in the wild card round.

A lot depends on what happens with Harper next year.  Its unlikely Murphy and Turner put up the same numbers next year.  If they step back a bit, and Harper returns to maybe 80-90% of what he was in 2015, and Rendon and Werth stay at their 2016 levels, we've got a solid 1-5 in our lineup.

I'd expect our starting pitching and bullpen to be around the same as this past year.  What we need to focus on is beefing up offense a 1B and SS, and replacing Ramos.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #20: October 14, 2016, 03:20:43 PM »
If the $210MM man doesn't crap himself in Game 1, we win this series...in a 3 game sweep.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #21: October 14, 2016, 03:23:22 PM »
VaRK, you're starting to sound like HattoriHanzo. :popcorn:

Offline spidernat

« Reply #22: October 14, 2016, 03:24:01 PM »
A lot depends on what happens with Harper next year.  Its unlikely Murphy and Turner put up the same numbers next year.  If they step back a bit, and Harper returns to maybe 80-90% of what he was in 2015, and Rendon and Werth stay at their 2016 levels, we've got a solid 1-5 in our lineup.

I'd expect our starting pitching and bullpen to be around the same as this past year.  What we need to focus on is beefing up offense a 1B and SS, and replacing Ramos.

Next season is not even on my radar.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #23: October 14, 2016, 03:25:04 PM »
VaRK, you're starting to sound like HattoriHanzo. :popcorn:

Difference is, I know what I'm talking about... :whistle:

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #24: October 14, 2016, 03:25:51 PM »

Next season is not even on my radar.