Author Topic: The Bryce Harper Compendium (2012)  (Read 195566 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: The Bryce Harper Compendium
« Reply #750: June 13, 2012, 12:13:13 AM »
Bryce Harper is a member of the The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  Mormons don't smoke or drink alcohol.

(Image removed from quote.)

not all - a good friend of mine is a mormon but he drinks coffee and beer.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #751: June 13, 2012, 08:58:08 AM »
Bryce Harper is a member of the The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  Mormons don't smoke or drink alcohol.

(Image removed from quote.)

The Methodist Book of Discipline forbids consumption of alcohol.  I know a few members of the cloth in the Methodist Church and let's just say they don't observe certain rules in the BoD.

Offline RL04

« Reply #753: June 13, 2012, 10:05:34 AM »
Harper's homer tonight 438 ft

It went 438 feet to the BB sign, or it would have gone 438 feet if it didn't hit anything?

Offline RL04

« Reply #754: June 13, 2012, 10:07:02 AM »
asking about having a post-game beer since he's legal here: "That's a clown question, bro"...

Good for Harper.   Great answer.   He is too much.

Offline Tokeydog

• I like beer!
« Reply #755: June 13, 2012, 10:08:49 AM »
I always thought they made calculations if a homer hit a wall dead on.  Calculate how high it hit at the rate of travel or something like that.  You know two trains leave a station going opposite directions stuff...

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #756: June 13, 2012, 10:13:28 AM »

It went 438 feet to the BB sign, or it would have gone 438 feet if it didn't hit anything?

That's if it didn't hit anything.

I'll wait for HRT to list it though... they have the best database when it comes to true distances on HR's.

http://hittrackeronline.com/

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #757: June 13, 2012, 10:17:01 AM »

There should be two different measurements - how far it actually traveled before hitting the sign  (ie distance of the spot from home plate) and an estimate if how far it would have traveled had it not been intercepted by the sign.  That's the more interesting and relevant mark.

Offline GNatsNoMore

« Reply #758: June 13, 2012, 10:54:14 AM »
not all - a good friend of mine is a mormon but he drinks coffee and beer.

He's probably a good guy if he's a friend of yours, but he's not really a practicing Mormon. (I'm Mormon, and living by the standards of the Word of Wisdom is fundamental to our faith).

Offline GNatsNoMore

« Reply #759: June 13, 2012, 11:44:29 AM »
The Methodist Book of Discipline forbids consumption of alcohol.  I know a few members of the cloth in the Methodist Church and let's just say they don't observe certain rules in the BoD.

That's a misleading analogy, or at least not completely accurate. As a former member of the Methodist Church and a current Mormon, let's just say there's a significant difference between the standards and practices of the two religions concerning the consumption of alcohol.  My father was a Methodist minister, and even Methodist ministers were officially allowed to drink alcohol starting at least 25-30 years ago.  The Methodist Book of Discipline, although states its support for abstinence from alcohol, also supports educational programs that encourage "judicious use [of alcohol] with intentional and deliberate restraint."   Growing up in the Methodist Church (at least in the congregations I was in) is very different from growing up as a Mormon (as my children have), as far as what is taught (or not taught) to young children and teens about consuming alcohol and tobacco. 

Good for Harper.   Great answer.   He is too much.

I agree.  He was calm and measured in his response, but a little disdainful, which was probably appropriate given that it was a highly inappropriate/offensive question for someone like Harper.  (Maybe the questioner was just trying to be playful, but he went too far.)

By the way, that was an incredible home run.  Can't these reporters stick to baseball?

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #760: June 13, 2012, 12:19:17 PM »
Looked like 450 to me. Hope his back is okay.

:lmao:

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #761: June 13, 2012, 10:04:16 PM »

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #762: June 13, 2012, 10:15:45 PM »
Hey Calsgr8, did you catch any flack from fans around you for cheering for the Nats?

I went to 1 O's and 1 NATS game.  I got more grief about wearing a Ripken/Orioles Jersey than the Nats Jersey & Welcome to the Show Bryce Harper T-shirt.  I assume this is because the O's had beaten them twice before the game I was going to on Thursday night.  So I sensed a little resentment there but it was all in "good fun" and "what not". 

Like 2 cops were helping people cross the street because of construction near the T.  One cop let my friend and I cross.  The other cop says "You're going to let THEM cross?  They're Oriole fans!

Went to tour the State House.  After going thru Security checkpoint, they told us with a big grin on their faces, we had to turn around and go out.  No Oriole fans allowed!

Wearing Nats gear, some T workers tried to steer us away from Fenway after getting off at Kenmore.  I told him I knew better.  So he covered up by saying "Go see the Charles River and THEN Fenway!

Seeing NATS Jersey, they claimed if they can beat VERLANDER, they can beat anybody.  I told them Verlander is NOT STRASBURG!  LOL.

People in front of us for the NATS game sarcastically asked why we came to Fenway to watch the NATS PLAY?  I told them it was Fenway's 100th.  They said that was back in April.  We said we wanted to see for ourselves during the 100th year.  They told us we cheer very loud.  My friend said we're even LOUDER at Home! 

Some guy a few rows down yelled GO EXPOS!  We ignored them and cheered every strikeout by Stras.  When they did Lets Go Red Sox; I replied "Strike OUT!"  LOL!

Had a good time.  Most people would kid around with you but in a good humor kind of way.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #763: June 13, 2012, 10:19:02 PM »

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #764: June 13, 2012, 10:21:18 PM »
beautiful

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #765: June 13, 2012, 11:14:34 PM »
Sounds about right . . . Baseball is in the blood of the city and you can expect comments wherever you go.  Mock animosity and some respect.  Glad you had a good time. 

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #766: June 13, 2012, 11:15:03 PM »
LOLPhilly

They beat us down for years and now we're skull freaking the entire NL East as they get ass rammed brutally every night and they don't like it one bit. freak Philly.

Sorry about the language, but freak Philly and that entire glorified piss break of a freaking city.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #767: June 14, 2012, 12:26:37 AM »
This thread is a clown question, bro. ;)

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #768: June 14, 2012, 12:41:50 AM »
In just six less games, Bryce Harper is OPS'ing close to 300 points higher than Ryan Zimmerman (.933 to .651).

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #769: June 14, 2012, 01:00:07 AM »
In just six less games, Bryce Harper is OPS'ing close to 300 points higher than Ryan Zimmerman (.933 to .651).

why do we need to add a games disclaimer to that stat?

Offline ZimW1N

• ResignSoto2025
« Reply #770: June 14, 2012, 01:34:18 AM »
Apparently Philthy Phans are upset with him:

http://blogs.phillymag.com/the_philly_post/2012/06/13/hate-bryce-harper/

Weird. They missed one:

Bryce Harper is currently better then everyone on our team.

Offline miller10

« Reply #771: June 14, 2012, 07:23:12 AM »
"Watching him play baseball would be a privilege and a joy were it not for the fact that he’s completely insufferable and playing for a team that’s nearly as irritating as he is individually."

Really Philly?  The Phillies fans, enjoying a great 5 years of good baseball, come down to Nats Park already wasted, smash cup holders and throw them on the field after the game (a game Philly won) and the Nats are irritating?  What the hell is wrong with these people?  Give a team that was built the right way that is succeeding their due.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #772: June 14, 2012, 07:59:30 AM »
why do we need to add a games disclaimer to that stat?

Bryce has had fewer ABs (I believe 18 fewer), so it's possible that once they're equal that Bryce has come down to earth, though that seems unlikely.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #773: June 14, 2012, 08:57:43 AM »
Where's the cheapest place I can get a Bryce Harper jersey/tshirt

Offline loshjott