Author Topic: Where's the half-smoke?  (Read 3439 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Where's the half-smoke?
« Topic Start: August 06, 2006, 06:13:00 PM »
Half smokes are not easy to find these days, even if you've lived more than 45 years in the area.  Odds are that at least one of you have seen this sign before.  I know that at least one occasional poster lives very close to this prominent, decades old establishment, more famous for its soft ice cream.  One thing's for sure, half-smokes served in RFK will not be this affordable.  

Who can tell me where this is?

Clue #1 - These half smokes are within 15 miles of RFK.
Clue #2 - You would pass this joint by on the way to Indian Head, from RFK.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
Where's the half-smoke?
« Reply #1: August 06, 2006, 07:41:08 PM »
I've never seen that sign...but I've heard that the best half-smokes and dogs in the DC area are at Ben's Chili Bowl in D.C.   I keep meaning to get out there and try them!

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Where's the half-smoke?
« Reply #2: August 06, 2006, 07:58:25 PM »
Yeah, I've heard the same thing about Ben's, but have never been there either.  Gonna have to make a detour over there one day, for sure.

nospinzone1

Where's the half-smoke?
« Reply #3: August 06, 2006, 11:15:38 PM »
they have half smokes in the food stand right by the entrance to Home Depot in Gaithersburg. I believe they are in the groceries also, they just dont call them half smokes anymore.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Where's the half-smoke?
« Reply #4: August 07, 2006, 04:49:04 PM »
Ben's Chili Bowl is THE place - I lived around the corner from there back in the 80s, when the area was a bit of a wasteland...nowadays, it's rather ka-ching, with houses that were boarded up crack dens newly renovated with granite counters and Viking stoves and fetching a million dollars.  Ben's is still Ben's though.  Nizam Ali (Ben's son who now runs the place) was a year behind me in high school, and he is a great guy.  I'm really glad that place survived all the bad years and is now getting the recognition it deserves.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Where's the half-smoke?
« Reply #5: August 07, 2006, 05:40:25 PM »
The venue I have referenced above does not serve chili, but it has been in business since 1954, so I'm thinking some area native has been there (besides me).

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Where's the half-smoke?
« Reply #6: August 07, 2006, 09:14:14 PM »
I added another clue due to drawing blank stares so far.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Where's the half-smoke?
« Reply #7: August 09, 2006, 02:52:50 PM »
Since everybody was on the edge of their seats  :roll: , here's the answer.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A20038-2003Jun22.html

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
Where's the half-smoke?
« Reply #8: August 09, 2006, 03:26:15 PM »
Quote from: "Ali the Baseball Cat"
Ben's Chili Bowl is THE place - I lived around the corner from there back in the 80s, when the area was a bit of a wasteland...nowadays, it's rather ka-ching, with houses that were boarded up crack dens newly renovated with granite counters and Viking stoves and fetching a million dollars.  Ben's is still Ben's though.  Nizam Ali (Ben's son who now runs the place) was a year behind me in high school, and he is a great guy.  I'm really glad that place survived all the bad years and is now getting the recognition it deserves.

Ben's Chili Bowl is one of DC's Beloved Institutions(especially among the Black Community).  My Grandfather used to take me there when I was younger.

Once my daughter is old enough to know what it is, I'll take her.

nospinzone1

Where's the half-smoke?
« Reply #9: August 09, 2006, 09:47:26 PM »
I HAD A HALF SMOKE THIS AFTERNOON AT THE VENDOR STAND NEXT TO HOME DEPOT IN GAITHERSBURG. DELICIOUS. YEARS SINCE I HAD ONE.

Offline Dave B

Where's the half-smoke?
« Reply #10: August 10, 2006, 11:22:26 AM »
Ben's Chili Bowl is a ripoff. Its good though. But a ripoff nonetheless.  5$ for a hot dog essentially.  If you are hungry you need 2.  If at a game I would forego the in-stadium Ben's and get them from the carts outside the armory.  I had two one night and didnt get sick.  They cant be more than 3 bucks each

nospinzone1

Where's the half-smoke?
« Reply #11: August 10, 2006, 05:30:55 PM »
Now that we got thru with half smokes, HOW ABOUT A BUFFALO BURGER. OUT OF THIS WORLD AT FUDDRUCKERS.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Where's the half-smoke?
« Reply #12: August 10, 2006, 10:26:04 PM »
I've been to Fuddruckers a number of times, but never tried the buffalo burger.  I have tried some "mountain oysters" once, out in Colorado, but never the standard buffalo meat.

Back when the West was being settled, accounts were numerous that horse was the preferred meat, followed by buffalo, and beef in that order.

nospinzone1

Where's the half-smoke?
« Reply #13: August 11, 2006, 09:27:55 PM »
Quote from: "tomterp"
I've been to Fuddruckers a number of times, but never tried the buffalo burger.  I have tried some "mountain oysters" once, out in Colorado, but never the standard buffalo meat.

Back when the West was being settled, accounts were numerous that horse was the preferred meat, followed by buffalo, and beef in that order.

You got to try it....dont get it well done because it gets dry. they also have ostrich which I have not tried.
GO TERPS!

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
Where's the half-smoke?
« Reply #14: August 11, 2006, 09:48:00 PM »
I dont know what a half-smoke is..........but I guess they must be good :)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Where's the half-smoke?
« Reply #15: August 11, 2006, 10:12:10 PM »
Quote from: "2k6nats"
I dont know what a half-smoke is..........but I guess they must be good :)

Well, the half-smoke is about the only food (so far identified by the Nats fan base) that originated in Washington DC.  Think of it as a slightly oversized, spicy hot dog.  They aren't as popular as they used to be, I think because so many big corporate restaurants come in with their generic menus, that you don't get local tastes anymore.  When I grew up in the 60's, half smokes were as common as hot dogs almost.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
Where's the half-smoke?
« Reply #16: August 11, 2006, 10:16:09 PM »
Thanks Tom.

nospinzone1

Where's the half-smoke?
« Reply #17: August 11, 2006, 11:19:07 PM »
Thanks Tom.

Gosh, I wish I was as young as you. Cant imagine anyone growng up without having had a half smoke.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Where's the half-smoke?
« Reply #18: August 12, 2006, 10:14:21 AM »
Quote from: "nospinzone1"
Thanks Tom.

Gosh, I wish I was as young as you. Cant imagine anyone growng up without having had a half smoke.

I really think corporations are to blame for the blanket of generic blandness that has settled over America.   Every town starting to look the same.  The fast food strip with McD's, Burger King, Wendies.  The retailer strip with Old Navy, Petsmart, Barnes and Noble.  The same radio programming.  The big box retailers, Target or Walmart.  You lose the local tastes over time, and younger generations are raised on the common denominator lifestyle.

Not a favorable trend at all.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
Where's the half-smoke?
« Reply #19: August 12, 2006, 03:00:11 PM »
Quote from: "tomterp"
Quote from: "nospinzone1"
Thanks Tom.

I really think corporations are to blame for the blanket of generic blandness that has settled over America.   Every town starting to look the same.  The fast food strip with McD's, Burger King, Wendies.  The retailer strip with Old Navy, Petsmart, Barnes and Noble.  The same radio programming.  The big box retailers, Target or Walmart.  You lose the local tastes over time, and younger generations are raised on the common denominator lifestyle.

Not a favorable trend at all.

QFT.