Author Topic: Official "Build WNFF into something More" thread  (Read 13808 times)

MrMadison

either that, or perhaps a set of Blogs that fly under the WNFF Banner.

depends on whether multiple blog writers can be reconciled on just one blog, or if they'd rather each have their own.

Offline ronnynat

depends on whether multiple blog writers can be reconciled on just one blog, or if they'd rather each have their own.

I think it'd be really cool if it were scheduled out somewhat on one blog where each person that wanted to be involved would contribute a certain amount a month. Maybe that would seem too work-like to some, though. I just enjoy writing. :D

Or maybe even have people write about what they like most about the team. I could definitely see people wanting to be the "Rumor Guy".

MrMadison

I'm gonna look at some other multi-person blogs tonight and see how they do it, and see if I can get any ideas from it.

Offline sportsfan882

I also think it's a good idea.  I'd help out.

Offline ronnynat

This one's got at least 2 contributers. Gives an idea to how it works.

http://wevegotheart.blogspot.com/

It's called a "team blog". You can add authors to it.  Each author's name will appear in the sidebar and, when clicked on, will show his/her profile (however much is there).

MrMadison

expanding on this, people could have their own blogs(infact, I think this might be easier to manage, content-wise)we could cook up a Front Page with News Story Links(RSS Feeds), and Outside Blog(read, ones that don't associate with WNFF) mentions/links.

and then have a section set aside for WNFF Community Blogs, and some occasional Articles from WNFF Bloggers.

I'll try to look for a good example of this.

MrMadison

my real issue here is that while I have a pretty good idea of how this could work, I know next to nothing about coding and website design.

my job entails Networking, not web pages. :P

MrMadison

http://indians247.com/

this.

this right here is what I am envisioning. the only difference is the content.  design-wise, this is awesomeness.

and it looks like it is using the same software we use here.

Offline ronnynat

oh yeah. agreed. I've always liked their setup.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
http://indians247.com/

this.

this right here is what I am envisioning. the only difference is the content.  design-wise, this is awesomeness.

and it looks like it is using the same software we use here.

Exactly, which means it can be done here too... So why not, it would have several side effects, add to the overall appeal of the site as well as give members and visitors more options.

I noticed the are also using a slightly different version of SMF as well, I don't know how much a factor that is though.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Exactly, which means it can be done here too... So why not, it would have several side effects, add to the overall appeal of the site as well as give members and visitors more options.

I noticed the are also using a slightly different version of SMF as well, I don't know how much a factor that is though.

Nah it's the same version (well a couple of maintenance releases newer, but functionally the same), theirs is just more heavily customized and is also making use of some abilities that we aren't currently using here.  I'm pretty sure there's a guy from that site who has a membership here, or at least applied for one.  Maybe we could talk to their guys and get some hot tips.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Nah it's the same version (well a couple of maintenance releases newer, but functionally the same), theirs is just more heavily customized and is also making use of some abilities that we aren't currently using here.  I'm pretty sure there's a guy from that site who has a membership here, or at least applied for one.  Maybe we could talk to their guys and get some hot tips.

Yup, MrMadison knows him, when I was checking out the Indians 24/7 page, both he and Nate were listed as being in the forum. I'm sure John can get a few tips or pointers from the operator that would help out here. Much of it might even run/update things itself once everything it setup right.

MrMadison

well, i don't so much as know the guy...

i just registered and posted on his forum. that's all.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
well, i don't so much as know the guy...

i just registered and posted on his forum. that's all.

And here I was hoping that you would be able to get some pointers from him... Oh well

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
And here I was hoping that you would be able to get some pointers from him... Oh well

No harm in asking.

MrMadison

he'd be speaking Greek to me anyway. i am totally clueless when it comes to web design.  networking is what i do (somewhat).

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
I think a small 'improvement' would be changing the thing at the top that says Nationals. It looks like a kid drew it. Not really an improvment though.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
I think a small 'improvement' would be changing the thing at the top that says Nationals. It looks like a kid drew it. Not really an improvment though.

LOL the graphic is a cutout from a Washington Nationals calendar. The "KID" that created the original graphic from a montage of photos was paid thousands of dollars. If you wanted it to be changed into be something "more grown up" maybe you should have stepped up to the plate when the signature/banner contest was on.

If you don't like the graphic, create one to replace it, but keep in mind, it cant look like a kid drew it...

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
Awwwwh I don't have a scanner but I have soem frickin' talented friends at drawing.

MrMadison

we should use that one that NOTLD made.

seriously.

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
Where is it? Can I see it? Maybe we could do a site vote?

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
we should use that one that NOTLD made.

seriously.

Which one? He made more than one that would work as the new banner...

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Where is it? Can I see it? Maybe we could do a site vote?

Maybe we could all stand back and let the person who runs the board make the decision. After all, it's The Chief's baby, not ours to do with as we please. He should have the last word in which banner gets put up there. I do agree that the one up there now is getting too familiar, and that a change would be a good idea.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
I actually had an idea for a new banner, but I need to skim over the old ones first and see if anyone's was similar to what I had in mind.

Offline blue911

I actually had an idea for a new banner, but I need to skim over the old ones first and see if anyone's was similar to what I had in mind.

What's wrong with the current one? Or is it a boredom thing.