Author Topic: Bryce Harper Discussion  (Read 21528 times)

Offline blue911

Re: Bryce Harper Discussion
« Reply #50: June 04, 2009, 09:23:49 AM »
I'm not sure about the age thing, but if he gets his GED, he'll be done with HS.

Most states make you wait a year between dropping out and taking the GED.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #51: June 04, 2009, 09:25:56 AM »
Its all wishful thinking here. People would want him but its probably a low chance that we know if hes going to be in the draft or not. So freak dropping out of at least having a good second half for a "could be" draft pick.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #52: June 04, 2009, 09:33:49 AM »
He's in Vegas, right?  The Nevada requirements don't say anything about a waiting period for taking the test but it does say he has to be 18.  I don't know if there's some sort of waiver or exemption that can be sought or not though. 
http://diplomaguide.com/articles/The_Nevada_GED.html

Offline HerndonNat

• FSU Football
« Reply #53: June 04, 2009, 10:22:02 AM »
can dropouts be drafted?

Not to be stereotypical but I am sure most of the Hispanic players in MLB don't have a high school education.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #54: June 04, 2009, 10:23:51 AM »
I believe international players are treated differently with regards to education standards than domestic players are.  You see a lot of 16 year olds going into pro ball from those caribbean countries.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #55: June 04, 2009, 10:37:50 AM »

I have friends that finished their HS diplomas a year early by attending community college.  I am not 100% positive, but I don't think they technically dropped out.  Nonetheless, it will an interesting case to follow.

I still don't want the Nats to tank to get him.

Offline blue911

« Reply #56: June 04, 2009, 10:46:08 AM »
I have friends that finished their HS diplomas a year early by attending community college.  I am not 100% positive, but I don't think they technically dropped out.  Nonetheless, it will an interesting case to follow.

I still don't want the Nats to tank to get him.

I quit after my sophomore year even though I was too young. Two days later enrolled in a CC. I passed the entrance exam but had to take a remedial comp class as a requirement  for not having a HS diploma. Took 12 credits in the fall and the next spring. Then was eligible to take my GED. The next year I started at MD as a freshman with 24 credits. And I was 17. Didn't get laid for a loooong time  :'(

Offline NFA Brian

• Nationals Farm Authority
« Reply #57: June 04, 2009, 10:51:21 AM »
I believe international players are treated differently with regards to education standards than domestic players are.  You see a lot of 16 year olds going into pro ball from those caribbean countries.

Players from the US, Canada, Puerto Rico, and other US territories are subject to the Rule 4 draft. Anywhere else, the cutoff is 16 and the signing date is July 2.

That's one of the rumors dismissed by the Harpers in that article. There were intimations that he might move to the Dominican Republic to become an international free agent. But from what I have heard, MLB says that would not make him a free agent.

SouthernFriedNat

« Reply #58: June 04, 2009, 11:52:54 AM »
Awesome

So, now we have fans that want him to ditch his HS education for a GED?

You know what, Bryce...you stay in school and get the best grades possible

If we get you in 2 years, great. If not, I can live with that.

Offline mikehughes

« Reply #59: June 04, 2009, 12:01:58 PM »
If we ever did get him he would ditch us down the line and sign the monster contract with the yankees, he sounds pretty cocky if you read the MLB.com article

"Be in the Hall of Fame, definitely. Play in Yankee Stadium. Play in the pinstripes. Be considered the greatest baseball player who ever lived. I can't wait,"

Offline RL04

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #61: June 04, 2009, 12:50:47 PM »
holy crap people.

I'm moving this back to the clubhouse for now.

Offline mikehughes

« Reply #62: June 04, 2009, 12:53:55 PM »
Strasburg, I forgot all about that guy lately.

Offline RL04

« Reply #63: June 04, 2009, 12:55:25 PM »
Dear Chief,

Thank you for moving my post.  Apologies.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #64: June 04, 2009, 12:57:23 PM »
Dear Chief,

Thank you for moving my post.  Apologies.

It's fine it's just like the sixth thread people have created about Harper this week.  Nobody uses his name in the thread title either, so that's not helping.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #65: June 04, 2009, 01:00:44 PM »
It's fine it's just like the sixth thread people have created about Harper this week.  Nobody uses his name in the thread title either, so that's not helping.

By not allowing us to create 37,893 threads about a high school sophomore, I fell that you're overstepping your bounds in censoring us.   ;)

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #66: June 04, 2009, 01:03:14 PM »
We don't need to tank on purpose, just give Manny another year. ;)

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #67: June 04, 2009, 01:16:42 PM »

Offline blue911

« Reply #68: June 04, 2009, 01:33:10 PM »
By not allowing us to create 37,893 threads about a high school sophomore, I fell that you're overstepping your bounds in censoring us.   ;)

What a Gyp

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #69: June 04, 2009, 01:38:04 PM »
Sadly, my first thought was the kid's on the juice and his people are trying to cash in before he gets caught or crashes.

that's my thinking as well. watching videos of him...he's skinny as hell though.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #70: June 04, 2009, 01:41:18 PM »
Awesome

So, now we have fans that want him to ditch his HS education for a GED?

You know what, Bryce...you stay in school and get the best grades possible

If we get you in 2 years, great. If not, I can live with that.

this too. nobody's gonna give a crap about this kid's life if he breaks a leg in the minors after saying "freak my education" to make some fans of a team that tanked their season on purpose happy. the GED is a joke of an education.

he should stay in school, graduate properly, and then go to whatever team has the first pick after his senior year. he'll get his money eventually anyway if he is all that he is hyped to be. I don't see what the rush is for.

shame on Boras, and shame on his parents for trying to cash in on him prematurely.

and shame on Nats Fans for hoping they do it.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #71: June 04, 2009, 01:44:07 PM »
If we ever did get him he would ditch us down the line and sign the monster contract with the yankees, he sounds pretty lollipopy if you read the MLB.com article

"Be in the Hall of Fame, definitely. Play in Yankee Stadium. Play in the pinstripes. Be considered the greatest baseball player who ever lived. I can't wait,"
Maybe if we were a nothing franchise like the Marlins, Rockies, or Indians, but even with our records, this team in Washington DC. Eventually, this team WILL win some games, and with how Washington sports works, once the Nationals start winning, the place will fill up. Above that, being in the nation's capital, ESPN will give us plenty of love. The Redskins always get tons of press, the Wizards get tons of press when winning, and ESPN gives the Caps lots of air time for a hockey team.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #72: June 04, 2009, 01:46:04 PM »
Maybe if we were a nothing franchise like the Marlins, Rockies, or Indians,

sorry to break it to you, but the Nationals at this point in time, ARE a "nothing" franchise.

Offline blue911

« Reply #73: June 04, 2009, 01:53:13 PM »
this too. nobody's gonna give a crap about this kid's life if he breaks a leg in the minors after saying "freak my education" to make some fans of a team that tanked their season on purpose happy. the GED is a joke of an education.

he should stay in school, graduate properly, and then go to whatever team has the first pick after his senior year. he'll get his money eventually anyway if he is all that he is hyped to be. I don't see what the rush is for.

shame on Boras, and shame on his parents for trying to cash in on him prematurely.

+1.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #74: June 04, 2009, 01:57:04 PM »

but if he has a $5 million signing bonus, he's better off than breaking his leg in college and not ever getting that kind of money. he can always go back to school, but if he gets injured in school, or if his skill start to falter, he might never see that kind of money again.