Author Topic: The Bryce Harper Compendium (2014)  (Read 198026 times)

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Re: The Bryce Harper Compendium
« Reply #150: April 06, 2014, 12:19:57 PM »

Can we survive this April is the question.     :pray:

Of course we can. Remember, April games don't count because "it's early!" and "there are still XXX games left!"

Offline TigerFan

• A split allegiance is still an allegiance
« Reply #151: April 06, 2014, 08:05:37 PM »
Adam Kilgore ‏@AdamKilgoreWP  1h
As Bryce Harper spoke to reporters about how terrible he feels, Anthony Rendon squeezed into the scrum to ask, "What's your favorite color?"

I agree with skippy and will take it a step further.  Rendon is being a leader.  No one, under any situation, likes talking about their failures.  I'm sure Rendon knows Bryce is pressing so he inserted some levity into a not so fun situation. 

The Nats had better keep Rendon around.  He is quickly becoming my favorite player. 

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #152: April 06, 2014, 08:22:44 PM »
I agree with skippy and will take it a step further.  Rendon is being a leader.  No one, under any situation, likes talking about their failures.  I'm sure Rendon knows Bryce is pressing so he inserted some levity into a not so fun situation. 

The Nats had better keep Rendon around.  He is quickly becoming my favorite player. 

The Grin is growing on me too. I just love that boy's swing. Relaxed and quick as a cat.

Offline Slumpbuster

« Reply #153: April 06, 2014, 09:33:25 PM »
Of course we can. Remember, April games don't count because "it's early!" and "there are still XXX games left!"

So true! The most often used phrase on Nats Forum all of last Spring/early Summer was "It's early".

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #154: April 06, 2014, 09:38:42 PM »
So true! The most often used phrase on Nats Forum all of last Spring/early Summer was "It's early".

April games matter just as much as any other game. But some posters are ready to start the offseason after being swept in a series before April 15th.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #155: April 06, 2014, 10:02:58 PM »

Watching a home series against the Braves, not only do I and most of us understand the significance, but the players most definitely seem to as well.  This weekend was a playoff atmosphere, and it was crucial to take the third game.

As for Bryce, it's not so much about him being 3 for 21, but how he's looked overmatched and off at the plate.  I'm sure he'll turn things around, but I hope he takes things into his own hands by doing his homework in the film room and making the adjustments to have that turnaround sooner rather than later.  MW is proving himself as a manager thus far; pulling Harper and Zimmerman to give them some time to digest while giving Frandsen and McLouth some game ABs was the right move, not to mention his flawless bullpen management.

Offline Slumpbuster

« Reply #156: April 06, 2014, 10:38:38 PM »
Watching a home series against the Braves, not only do I and most of us understand the significance, but the players most definitely seem to as well.  This weekend was a playoff atmosphere, and it was crucial to take the third game.

As for Bryce, it's not so much about him being 3 for 21, but how he's looked overmatched and off at the plate.  I'm sure he'll turn things around, but I hope he takes things into his own hands by doing his homework in the film room and making the adjustments to have that turnaround sooner rather than later.  MW is proving himself as a manager thus far; pulling Harper and Zimmerman to give them some time to digest while giving Frandsen and McLouth some game ABs was the right move, not to mention his flawless bullpen management.

I also approve of MW's mgmnt style. Davey was content to just "let things work themselves out". I get the feeling Matt would have had a lot shorter leash on Rodriguez last year before he blew a few games with his chronic wildness. I know he believes in Espy now but he also might not have waited until July to bench him.
Not to bash Davey, a possible HOF'er but the early signs are that this was a great Rizzo hire.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #157: April 07, 2014, 12:26:34 PM »

Obviously, there is a point in every season where the phrase "it's early" is inarguably correct.  Whether or not the team does anything with the many many games remaining is a different matter. 

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #158: April 07, 2014, 12:39:53 PM »
"It's early" is very accurate.

If someone started a thread along the lines of "The Nats are 4-2! One pace for 108 wins!" I am sure a poster or two would point out "It's early, small sample size"

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
« Reply #159: April 07, 2014, 02:36:29 PM »
Some interesting commentary from the Braves announcers last series.
http://wapo.st/1ilvxCq

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #160: April 07, 2014, 07:29:27 PM »
They may have a point about his off season workout. He was big enough to hit the ball 500'. He needed to be bigger because...

Some interesting commentary from the Braves announcers last series.
http://wapo.st/1ilvxCq

Offline blue911

« Reply #161: April 07, 2014, 07:33:24 PM »
They may have a point about his off season workout. He was big enough to hit the ball 500'. He needed to be bigger because...

In season weight loss. It's rare when you find a player that doesn't try to bulk up in the off season.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #162: April 07, 2014, 07:38:10 PM »
I get that, but some of those pictures make him look like he's trying to be Uggla.

In season weight loss. It's rare when you find a player that doesn't try to bulk up in the off season.

Offline blue911

« Reply #163: April 07, 2014, 07:43:15 PM »
I get that, but some of those pictures make him look like he's trying to be Uggla.

He's always been big. Wait a month and he'll look "normal". He has 3 hits in 5 games and everybody is acting like he'll never hit again. His timings off, that's it. Werth's timings off as well only he has a lot more experience with how to deal with it.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #164: April 07, 2014, 07:55:05 PM »
I'll take your word for it, but I swear to God, if he's still Uggla-fied in a month, I'm going to get Frau to junk punch you.

He's always been big. Wait a month and he'll look "normal". He has 3 hits in 5 games and everybody is acting like he'll never hit again. His timings off, that's it. Werth's timings off as well only he has a lot more experience with how to deal with it.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #165: April 07, 2014, 08:14:31 PM »

A dose of freaking "sanity"  :clap:

Offline PC

« Reply #166: April 07, 2014, 08:21:05 PM »
He's always been big.

That's what she said.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #167: April 07, 2014, 08:28:33 PM »
The amount of criticism Harper gets blows my mind. Every little thing he does is criticized by people. He improves on his rookie year despite battling head and knee injuries. He's still the youngest player in the majors, even in his third season. He plays his ass off every game.

But a 3-for-21 slump to start the year?

THE GUY IS DONE!! WHY WAS HE WORKING OUT SO MUCH THIS OFFSEASON? WHAT A FOOL!

I also love how critics act like he's the only guy to EVER smash things and get upset when he has a bad at-bat. It's almost like he's a 20-year-old! He should act differently.

Baseball media can be so, so terrible (see: Dodgers/Puig).

Offline blue911

« Reply #168: April 07, 2014, 08:40:44 PM »
Paulie threw the best temper tantrums

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #169: April 07, 2014, 08:46:24 PM »

Jayson Werth is hitting .381. I don't think his timing is off.

Offline blue911

« Reply #170: April 07, 2014, 09:24:26 PM »
Jayson Werth is hitting .381. I don't think his timing is off.

Watch him. He's sitting back and slapping the ball to right. Werth's what is called a "feel" hitter and when he isn't right he doesn't try to drive the ball. That's what a good hitter does to get his timing down, not simply go up there flailing away.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #171: April 07, 2014, 09:26:26 PM »
Watch him. He's sitting back and slapping the ball to right. Werth's what is called a "feel" hitter and when he isn't right he doesn't try to drive the ball. That's what a good hitter does to get his timing down, not simply go up there flailing away.
So he's hitting like he has his whole career?

You don't hit .381 with your timing off.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #172: April 07, 2014, 09:29:39 PM »

There's a high degree of variability as to whether balls put in play find a defender or open space.   You know, the BABIP thing. 

5 games in we're talking TINY sample sizes for a hitter. 

Offline blue911

« Reply #173: April 07, 2014, 09:34:18 PM »
So he's hitting like he has his whole career?

Sure you can when you're talking about one game being the main reason for that average. I doubt he's hit a ball farther than 200 feet that hasn't been easily caught.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #174: April 07, 2014, 09:58:56 PM »

I thought the same thing about Harper. Williams knows he needs a break and Williams forced him to sit. Davey had trouble even when Harper was hurting. Depth is good when you use it.

Incidentally, I like the way Rendon's wrists roll when he swings. This kid is good.