Author Topic: Google Thread  (Read 40128 times)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
Re: Google Thread
« Reply #401: February 07, 2011, 04:57:03 PM »
omg i think google sent me a ChromeOS notebook.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #402: February 07, 2011, 04:57:52 PM »
omg i think google sent me a ChromeOS notebook.

Win a contest? That's awesome.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #403: February 07, 2011, 05:01:31 PM »
signed up for their testing program

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #404: February 07, 2011, 05:16:16 PM »
I signed up too, I hope I get picked.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #405: February 07, 2011, 05:30:03 PM »
I signed up too, I hope I get picked.

wife asked me what the box was that came in the mail for me, she said it said "Chrome" on it, and something about a Lithium battery.

I'm at school, can't wait to get home to see if its the laptop. seriously geeking here, you know how much I've been looking forward to ChromeOS. :lmao:

Offline Nathan

« Reply #406: February 07, 2011, 05:42:51 PM »
I guess your application was more impressive than mine :?

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #407: February 07, 2011, 11:09:54 PM »
sooooo, I got the laptop up and running. CR-48 it is called.

my expectations are tempered by the fact that this is a test machine, that won't ever see retail. I gotta imagine the real ChromeOS machines will be a lot better specced than this one is.

this one is pretty much as barebones as you can get. Its basically a 16GB netbook, Intel Atom, integrated graphics,  with a 12-inch screen and a full keyboard.

the entire OS, of course, is a Chrome Browser, and everything runs through it.

things I do not like already:

1. Only one USB Port. WTF Google. you are really gonna make me choose between my thumb drive and my usb mouse? on a machine with only 16GB of storage?
2. Cant use the 16GB storage for media. well, wtf is the 16gb for then?

those are the big two glaring issues thus far.

It works as advertised. Boots REALLY fast, runs very well in the Cloud. Utilizes the Chrome Web Store for installable web apps very much like the iDevices utilize the iTunes app store for installable iApps.

haven't done a very thorough testing of flash, only watched a couple youtube videos over some borrowed WiFi. Flash is baked into the OS as a default.

oh, there is no CAPSLOCK button. instead, there is a Search button where the Capslock would be. hit the button, it opens a new tab for you to search in.  takes some getting used to for heavy typers. you can change this in the Options and make it a regular capslock key if you like.

*edit* oh right, the touchpad. 1 finger left-clicks, two fingers right-clicks. two fingers in a swiping motion scrolls up and down. I have to use one finger on both hands to scroll and right-click, because I can't seem to get it to work one-handed.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #408: February 07, 2011, 11:11:03 PM »
Caps Lock is dumb and a relic of typewriters. Don't you read Slate? ;)

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #409: February 07, 2011, 11:16:32 PM »
also, it has built-in WiFi of course, and as an added bonus, Verizon 3G. with the CR-48 you get 100mb a month of 3g for free, for 2 years.

if you wanna pay, there is a unlimited day plan, and 1,3,and 5GB monthly plans as well. all pre-paid, no contract.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #410: February 07, 2011, 11:18:20 PM »
Abandon the mouse and your road warrior kung fu will be strong.

Select the USB storage and you might as well start your garden in Potato Hoe now.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #411: February 07, 2011, 11:20:35 PM »
Abandon the mouse and your road warrior kung fu will be strong.

Select the USB storage and you might as well start your garden in Potato Hoe now.

I imagine I won't really need the mouse too often, since I won't be playing many games outside of Facebook type stuff on this machine.  but I hate touchpads, and its gonna take a long time of using one for me to warm up to it.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #412: February 07, 2011, 11:23:34 PM »
Once you get used to using the keyboard and touchpad, you will pretty much forget about the mouse. Even when one is there I forget to use it anymore.

I'll give you, games are an exception.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #413: February 08, 2011, 12:03:26 AM »
does it have bluetooth?  Is 16GB the entire internal storage? 

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #414: February 08, 2011, 12:18:08 AM »
does it have bluetooth?  Is 16GB the entire internal storage?  

yes, and yes. the storage is a SSD

however, that is just this machine.

apparently the real Chrome OS netbooks are going have the Tegra 2 chips in them, and a 64GB SSD

Offline Nathan

« Reply #415: February 08, 2011, 12:36:45 AM »
I'm totally jealous of you.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #416: February 08, 2011, 06:27:53 AM »
If I could do it without damaging my current install, I'd kind of like to try Chrome OS on my Netbook.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #417: February 08, 2011, 08:18:06 AM »
If I could do it without damaging my current install, I'd kind of like to try Chrome OS on my Netbook.

http://www.virtualbox.org/

Jeez, I didn't know they were purchased by Oracle, they are big time now!

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #418: February 08, 2011, 12:45:20 PM »
Once you get used to using the keyboard and touchpad, you will pretty much forget about the mouse. Even when one is there I forget to use it anymore.

I'll give you, games are an exception.

For what it's worth, I disagree.  I'm fine with touchpads for browsing and casual use, but I still prefer a mouse for any serious work, such as heavy coding or especially photoshop.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #419: February 08, 2011, 04:19:51 PM »
 :shrug:

Seems like a half and half split in preference from the road warriors I know; with maybe a slight advantage to the touch pad. Granted that is the hardcore travel group which isn't the majority and I do very little coding or graphics anymore.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #420: February 08, 2011, 04:34:04 PM »
:shrug:

Seems like a half and half split in preference from the road warriors I know; with maybe a slight advantage to the touch pad. Granted that is the hardcore travel group which isn't the majority and I do very little coding or graphics anymore.

Right, I'm sure touchpads are great for that group.  Wasn't trying to put down your preference, just speaking from a different crowd.  Macbook touchpads are the best I've ever used, bar none.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #421: February 08, 2011, 04:51:37 PM »
Right, I'm sure touchpads are great for that group.  Wasn't trying to put down your preference, just speaking from a different crowd.  Macbook touchpads are the best I've ever used, bar none.

Are you referring to the new ones without buttons? 

Offline The Chief

« Reply #422: February 08, 2011, 04:53:05 PM »
Are you referring to the new ones without buttons? 

Actually no, I hadn't thought about that.  I'm still using an older one with the one big button.  I didn't like the button-less ones at first either but after fooling with it at Best Buy I think you could get used to it easily enough.  Essentially I just pretended the button was still there (I tend to click with my thumb).  Felt natural enough for a 5-minute store demo.  I'm sure I'd get used to it with time.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #423: February 08, 2011, 05:05:20 PM »
The buttonless, multi-touch glass trackpads in the newer line of Macs is great.  Nice and big, responsive, and the gestures work well.  Just clicking the entire pad comes naturally after a bit, though I always use tap to click anyway.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #424: February 08, 2011, 05:07:38 PM »
the touchpad on this Cr-48 is buttonless as well, just one big pad.

for the most part, touchpads are tolerable, so long as you can disable that horrible "tap-to-click" feature. I had seen a few where you had to download some special software to do that, which sucks.  tap-to-click is the worst, and it should be disabled by default.

in further regards to the CR-48:

One minus is the fact that there is no Ethernet port. for a computer that is all about the Web and specifically built for it, you'd think that it'd contain every modern method of accessing the Web.

One plus to counteract that minus, is that Tethering via USB....just works. even with my crappy Windows Mobile phone.