Author Topic: Nationals vs Phillies, Game 2  (Read 46754 times)

Re: Nationals vs Phillies, Game 2
« Reply #250: September 10, 2009, 01:05:04 PM »
i don't know about you guys, but nothing gets me more pumped for baseball than seeing pete orr and wil nieves in that lineup card every night

You were probably too young to remember the good ole days of Brandon Watson, Tony Blanco, Carlos Baerga. Those days were made for true adrenaline junkies. :lol:

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #251: September 10, 2009, 01:18:47 PM »
You were probably too young to remember the good ole days of Brandon Watson, Tony Blanco, Carlos Baerga. Those days were made for true adrenaline junkies. :lol:

Nah I remember them. I was in spring training the year we were handing our CF job to Watson.

I remember the superstars we used to employ. Junior Spivey FTW!

Offline Galah

• 2016 - the year that everything changed, again.
« Reply #252: September 10, 2009, 01:37:53 PM »
September is not the time for spring training.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #253: September 10, 2009, 01:43:07 PM »

Maybe not wholesale, but what's the big deal about rotating one new guy into the lineup every night and trying a new pen arm here and there?  They've got to find out what these kids are capable of, and there's no better way than to play them against real teams who are really trying to win.  The real spring training is almost meaningless.  Using call-ups as pinch hitters (if even that :?) is stupid unless they're actually planning to develop them as pinch hitters.

« Reply #254: September 10, 2009, 01:45:26 PM »

For contenders and playoff pushers it isn't. For dead last in the MLB sorts of teams, it's Spring Training without the palm trees or desert.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #255: September 10, 2009, 02:44:57 PM »
I can sorta understand not throwing them to the wolves vs. a guy like Cliff Lee, but tonight they're throwing Blanton who's decent but should be a good time to try one or two of them out there...

Offline Galah

• 2016 - the year that everything changed, again.
« Reply #256: September 10, 2009, 03:31:41 PM »
Maybe not wholesale, but what's the big deal about rotating one new guy into the lineup every night and trying a new pen arm here and there?  They've got to find out what these kids are capable of, and there's no better way than to play them against real teams who are really trying to win.  The real spring training is almost meaningless.  Using call-ups as pinch hitters (if even that :?) is stupid unless they're actually planning to develop them as pinch hitters.

Not sure why I want to argue this point because it's pretty obviously a losing stand.

First off - I fail to see why/how you guys can complain about a player earning too much money but then be perfectly happy to give them a buy and let them sit out the rest of the year. Make them earn their damn salary by getting out and playing every game I'm paying them to play (and I might not have the best seats in the house, but EYE have PAID for a seat at every home game, so some of you stay at home and watch it on the telly cry babies can....

Secondly - The guys that were in the minors this year WEREN'T good enough to play in the bigs in 09 so why let them play in the bigs in 09??? If you're just bringing them up because you have room on the roster...they can wait their turn.