Author Topic: Regarding Brad Lidge  (Read 4847 times)

Offline RyanZimsKazoo

• Ryan Zimmerman is passionate about baseball...
Regarding Brad Lidge
« Topic Start: April 21, 2012, 04:19:56 PM »
Just got back from the game today and I left a bit early because I was cooking in the sun and I figured that the rotation could hold off for a little bit to win the game for Stras.

Boy was I wrong. I really don't understand why Brad Lidge is considered to be the saver in Davey Johnson's eyes. This guy routinely throws crap and it costs us. I think he had an 0-2 count on Ramirez and ended up walking him. Then he gives up the 2 run bomb to tie the game. I just don't get why Davey pigeon holes people into these certain roles.

If you ask me, Stammen should be a closer.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
Re: Regarding Brad Lidge
« Reply #1: April 21, 2012, 04:27:34 PM »
I think Henry is going to be the primary closer with Stammen and Burnett backing him up on off days. Lidge is probably going to become a 7th inning guy with Mattheus now

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #2: April 21, 2012, 04:58:42 PM »
Quote from: CaptainO'Hagan
There was a time when we'd take a guy like him in the back and beat him with a hose. Now you've got your God-damned unions

Offline madj55

« Reply #4: April 21, 2012, 05:57:29 PM »
Lidge shouldn't be pitching in the 9th, simple as that he doesn't have unhittable stuff anymore

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #5: April 21, 2012, 05:57:57 PM »
Maybe I'm just looking for things, but the Brad Lidge in this video seems to have more mobility in his throwing shoulder. August 11, 2010.

Offline aussienatsfan

« Reply #6: April 22, 2012, 07:59:41 AM »
His fastball is crap, he can't command it, his slider ain't what it once was.

Not really a fan

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #7: April 22, 2012, 08:34:22 AM »
Use Clippard in the 9th. HRod can get flustered under pressure...gets wild...doesn't field. Clippard can take it.

Use HRod in the 8th, Mattheus and Lidge in the 7th.

Oh, and I hope Davey can let starters pitch the 7th. I understand that he's being careful with Strassburg and Detwiler. "You don't win the pennant in one game".

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #8: April 22, 2012, 08:49:07 AM »
Lidge is making the decision about what to do when Storen comes back easier.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #9: April 22, 2012, 08:57:48 AM »
Lidge is making the decision about what to do when Storen comes back easier.

He's also making it easier to make the decision about what to do before then. I still prefer HRod in the setup role, but he deserves the call in the 9th now more than Lidge. All closers blow saves, and I can deal with the HRs. The walks are the problem to me. When Hrod looks like he has better control than you, you have a problem.

Lidge has the advantage of experience and mental fortitude. All a closer needs to do is throw strikes. If he can't, he can't be trusted.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #10: April 22, 2012, 09:07:36 AM »
I'm not even mad at Lidge. He's not a 9th inning pitcher period. Stop trying to shove him into the 9th inning.

I agree that Stammen has looked more a closer than anyone else on our roster. Unfortunately, Davey wants his two long men so I'm not sure that's an option.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #11: April 22, 2012, 01:30:24 PM »
Lidge doesn't have the stuff to be a closer anymore. If DJ is stuck on not giving the job to HRod, then MPH can share with it Matheus or Stammen. Doesn't matter. But I would keep Clipp as the 8th inning guy. He's just so effective there and I don't want to mess with two spots.

Offline welch

« Reply #12: April 22, 2012, 01:53:34 PM »
Lidge doesn't have the stuff to be a closer anymore. If DJ is stuck on not giving the job to HRod, then MPH can share with it Matheus or Stammen. Doesn't matter. But I would keep Clipp as the 8th inning guy. He's just so effective there and I don't want to mess with two spots.

I don't want to mess with two spots, either, but Clippard seems better equipped to handle 9th inning pressure. HRod is good as long as everything goes right, but his fielding worries me (that bunt by the Mets.) and he seems to get shaky when he doesn't get the strike calls.

I don't know how to "teach" a closer to be calm, and I haven't seen pitchers practice fielding in years, but HRod needs both.

Maybe start him a few times, assuming he will go three innings and be relieved by a real starter? Let him experience normal hits and ground balls, bunts and covering first. Not a completely serious suggestion,  but what else can the Nats do?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #13: April 22, 2012, 02:14:40 PM »
This isn't the minors, you can't just sacrifice games so HRod can work on things as a "starter".

Just my two cents.

Offline welch

« Reply #14: April 22, 2012, 02:25:29 PM »
Then make HRod the 7th inning guy, start clean, and have him pitch two innings. How else will he learn to field under pressure? If he can't field a sac bunt, then he's not able to pitch in tough spots. He's be something like Al Hrabowsky, "the mad Hungarian", who pumped and huffed and made a big show of falling down after every pitch. Dead unless he struck the guy out.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #15: April 22, 2012, 02:54:40 PM »
I don't want to mess with two spots, either, but Clippard seems better equipped to handle 9th inning pressure. HRod is good as long as everything goes right, but his fielding worries me (that bunt by the Mets.) and he seems to get shaky when he doesn't get the strike calls.

I don't know how to "teach" a closer to be calm, and I haven't seen pitchers practice fielding in years, but HRod needs both.

Maybe start him a few times, assuming he will go three innings and be relieved by a real starter? Let him experience normal hits and ground balls, bunts and covering first. Not a completely serious suggestion,  but what else can the Nats do?

I think he's shown enough to let him close close more games. And the more work he gets the more confident he will be.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #16: April 22, 2012, 02:56:36 PM »
Then make HRod the 7th inning guy, start clean, and have him pitch two innings. How else will he learn to field under pressure? If he can't field a sac bunt, then he's not able to pitch in tough spots. He's be something like Al Hrabowsky, "the mad Hungarian", who pumped and huffed and made a big show of falling down after every pitch. Dead unless he struck the guy out.

What's with the fielding concern. He made one bad play on a bunt IIRC. Any others?

Offline Fan037

« Reply #17: April 22, 2012, 02:59:57 PM »
Not having Storen healthy is a real problem.  Same goes for Morse on the offensive side of things.  I don't want to rush the season but getting them both back is a necessity.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #18: April 22, 2012, 03:08:18 PM »
but what else can the Nats do?

Simulated game situations on Monday, Wednesday and Friday afternoons before bp starts.

Offline welch

« Reply #19: April 22, 2012, 10:48:30 PM »
What's with the fielding concern. He made one bad play on a bunt IIRC. Any others?

HRod hardly ever pitches under pressure from runners. I don't remember him picking anybody off, or worrying much about steals or hit&runs.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #20: April 23, 2012, 12:00:51 AM »
There's a reason Brad Lidge was available, and available for a rather cheap price at that.  I'm not saying he has no value, but he's definitely not the dominant closer he once was.  I believe that H-Rod has only had the one bad outing this season (and still hasn't given up an earned run), so I'd stick primarily with him for the time being.  He's definitely more "lights out" than Lidge.  Lidge would be a good 7th-inning guy.

Offline RL04

« Reply #21: April 23, 2012, 03:23:37 PM »
Lidge is the Matt Stairs of relief pitching.

Offline RyanZimsKazoo

• Ryan Zimmerman is passionate about baseball...
« Reply #22: April 23, 2012, 03:34:06 PM »
There's a reason Brad Lidge was available, and available for a rather cheap price at that.  I'm not saying he has no value, but he's definitely not the dominant closer he once was.  I believe that H-Rod has only had the one bad outing this season (and still hasn't given up an earned run), so I'd stick primarily with him for the time being.  He's definitely more "lights out" than Lidge.  Lidge would be a good 7th-inning guy.
I would rather see Stammen be the closer then Lidge. As you said, Lidge as a 7th inning guy (so long as the game is not tied) would not be a bad idea. Its just I don't trust Lidge to get the saves considering the fact that the offense is only giving the pitching staff 1-2 run leads to work with.

Clippard + Stammen for 8th/9th inning duty seems to be the best idea. I would let either one have 2 innings to work with to be honest.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #23: April 23, 2012, 03:36:21 PM »
I trust Matheus and Burnett more than lidge. Lidge used to be really good, but calling him a closer would be like hauling Pedro out of retirement and calling him our ace. Based on the present, the only guy in the pen I trust less than lidge is Gorzolanny

Online nobleisthyname

« Reply #24: April 23, 2012, 04:08:38 PM »
I trust Matheus and Burnett more than lidge. Lidge used to be really good, but calling him a closer would be like hauling Pedro out of retirement and calling him our ace. Based on the present, the only guy in the pen I trust less than lidge is Gorzolanny

I've never been a big fan of Mattheus and that hasn't changed this season. Obviously Lidge has sucked butt so far this year and he should never be pitching in a save situation but I still like him over Mattheus in the middle innings.