Author Topic: Food and How you Cook/Eat it (2009-2012)  (Read 97301 times)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Re: Food and How you Cook/Eat it.
« Reply #250: March 22, 2010, 12:08:17 AM »
Old rice tastes like crap. Is minute rice any worse for you than dried long grain?

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #251: March 22, 2010, 12:13:12 AM »
Still no way to cook that at work in our 25 watt microwave

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #252: March 22, 2010, 12:15:55 AM »
Oh, and Carnation Instant Breakfast tastes pretty surprisingly good, and probably does the same thing as those shakes.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #253: March 22, 2010, 12:26:24 AM »
I've got what is basically a whey protein shake.  Chocolate Peanut Butter "flavor".

Should I do a "Diet / Fat Loss / Fitness" thread?  Or continue discussion in here?

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #254: March 22, 2010, 09:25:26 AM »
Brown rice reheats pretty well if you reheat it gently. Before you store it in the fridge, drain it well so that the liquid doesn't ferment.

Reheat it gently after sprinkling some water on it (I literally get my hand wet then "fling" it at the rice wit my fingers to spread the water evenly over the top of the rice).

If you have a Trader Joe's around, they make all sorts of simmer sauces that you can use with chicken. It adds variety.

Meal replacement shakes are a ripoff, but I understand the desire for an easy meal. Know what's easier? A piece of fruit and some unsweetened yogurt (I sweeten mine myself, with a level teaspoon of sugar - just slightly. The commercially sweetened stuff is way, way too sweet). Or put the yogurt in a blender with frozen fruit, some flax seed and a couple tablespoons of whey powder.  My son gets through wrestling season that way.

I've heard - and I believe - that an excellent way to eat healthier is to eat more times per day - and eat fruits or veggies with *every* meal or snack.

I'm gonna cook a weeks worth of chicken for lunches at work.  It should keep for 5 days cooked, right?

What do I do about sides?  I bought some brown rice, does it reheat ok?  How long would it keep after cooked.  It takes 40-50 minutes to cook so I'd need to cook a few days worth at a time since I don't have 50 minutes each day before work to spend cooking rice.  I've got frozen green beans to go with it.

I haven't thought about seasoning the chicken.  I've got at least a 2 week supply in the freezer.  This week I'm probably going to just use salt, pepper, and garlic powder.  Or maybe doused in hot sauce.  That jerk paste sounds awesome though, I'll have to look for that.

I need to eat more meals though.  This schedule of wake up, a few errands, work, "lunch", work, dinner, study, isn't working.  2 big meals a day isn't conducive for fat loss it seems.  Six small meals a day is the best, but how can you find time to eat that much and that often!?

I'm trying some "meal replacement shakes" at first for 2 of the meals :spaz: I hope they taste ok.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #255: March 22, 2010, 12:28:52 PM »
Interesting. When I reheat rice I cover the bowl with a wet paper towel. Works pretty well for me.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #256: March 22, 2010, 01:51:53 PM »
That sounds even better.

Interesting. When I reheat rice I cover the bowl with a wet paper towel. Works pretty well for me.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #257: March 25, 2010, 10:12:13 AM »
sweet potato fries are amazing.

can't eat regular fries after tasting them.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #258: March 25, 2010, 12:36:22 PM »
If you want to keep rice heated for a long time period get a fuzzy logic rice cooker. A Zojirushi kicks ass. I have rice that tastes unbelievably great for days.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #259: March 25, 2010, 02:30:37 PM »
If you want to keep rice heated for a long time period get a fuzzy logic rice cooker. A Zojirushi kicks ass. I have rice that tastes unbelievably great for days.

I have a Zojirushi coffee maker- best one I've ever owned

Offline Nathan

« Reply #260: March 25, 2010, 02:30:42 PM »
A $200 rice cooker to cook a $1 bag of rice?

I just used the method on the bag, 2 parts water 1 part rice, a bit of olive oil and a pinch of salt, bring to a boil and simmer for 40-50 minutes.  Then I portioned it out and froze it, since I read refridgerating it can lead to food poisoning.

I reheated some in the microwave for 2 minutes and it is absolutely amazing.  Why don't people eat brown rice more often?

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #261: March 25, 2010, 03:00:02 PM »
I can see having something expensive if used alot.  What is it about the Zojirushi that makes it work so well ?

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #262: March 25, 2010, 03:08:27 PM »
The other top end brands have something similar but the secret is to get a Induction Heat IM / micom rice cooker. You can cook a lot of other things besides plain rice.

The heating method known as Induction Heating (IH) occurs when a magnetic material is placed in a magnetic field. In our case, coils within the bottom of the rice cooker create the magnetic field. When the aluminum nonstick inner cooking pan with stainless steel outer lining is placed into the rice cooker and the unit is activated, a magnetic field is generated to create instant heat. Through this technology, the inner cooking pan itself becomes the heat source utilizing both high heat and fine heat adjustments to control the cooking process. The result—quicker, more evenly distributed heat for perfectly cooked delicious rice every time.

In more advanced models, computer chip technology is introduced and the rice cooker automatically makes adjustments in temperature and cooking time depending upon the program entered. These cookers are called micom rice cookers because they are fitted with a microcomputer chip. The top-of-the-line Zojirushi micom rice cooker is the Neuro Fuzzy®, a registered trademark name coined by Zojirushi to indicate a rice cooker which utilizes “fuzzy logic” through a micro computer chip to cook rice.

This computer chip is the brains of the unit and instead of simply switching on and off reacting to temperature, the rice cooker now makes small adjustments in temperature and cooking time according to what the thermal sensor senses. So you can program your rice to be hard or soft, dry or watery, as in the case of making rice porridge, the Asian comfort food. You can also program for cooking white, brown or sweet (glutinous) rice.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #263: March 25, 2010, 06:03:40 PM »

Yeah, I'm obsessed. I make the frozen ones at home and always order them.

I make a really good sweet potato pie. I bought organic sweet potato puree on sale once, and I altered my pumpkin pie recipe, and it's so good, so I continue to make it.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #264: April 14, 2010, 04:34:50 PM »
Cooked these for breakfast to practice my pan flipping skills:

Delicious.  It was a little too cold to try Blue's tips for cooking a steak on the grill (35º F :shock: ), hopefully tonight will work.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #265: April 14, 2010, 04:38:42 PM »
Cooked these for breakfast to practice my pan flipping skills:

Delicious.  It was a little to cold to try Blue's tips for cooking a steak on the grill (35º F :shock: ), hopefully tonight will work.

Shrooms go great over steak.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #266: April 14, 2010, 04:40:06 PM »
Shrooms go great over steak.
Yeah, that's why I had them, but they were just too tempting to wait, so that was my breakfast for today.  Big ol' bowl of sauted mushrooms :lol:

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #267: April 14, 2010, 05:01:08 PM »
Trader Joes has sweet potato chips. Unsalted, fantastic. Crunchy, greasy in that veggie oil way, fantastic.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #268: April 14, 2010, 06:45:23 PM »
Trader Joes has sweet potato chips. Unsalted, fantastic. Crunchy, greasy in that veggie oil way, fantastic.

sweet potatoes are more expensive but superior to regular potatoes in every way. my gf thinks completely opposite though

route 11 also makes sweet potato chips. lightly salted i think

Offline Nathan

« Reply #269: April 14, 2010, 06:49:43 PM »
I don't like sweet potatoes.  I'm not big into sweet stuff anyway.

Offline blue911

« Reply #270: April 14, 2010, 06:52:25 PM »
I don't like sweet potatoes.  I'm not big into sweet stuff anyway.

Cook them like mofongo and they're great. The brown sugar and marshmallow deal is horrible.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #271: April 14, 2010, 06:55:21 PM »
What the F is mofongo :lol:

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #273: April 14, 2010, 07:04:00 PM »

Offline Nathan

« Reply #274: April 14, 2010, 07:05:19 PM »
:spaz: That doesn't look appetizing