Author Topic: Quote issue  (Read 3993 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: Quote issue
« Reply #25: November 22, 2011, 04:26:17 PM »
Wait, you three have access to a recycle bin?  :shock:

:whistle:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #26: November 22, 2011, 04:28:08 PM »
Not sure what to suggest, but I've never seen anything remotely like this in 4+ years using SMF to run the forum.  Are you getting this from a computer or some other device like a phone or ipad?

I've only noticed it since the upgrade. 

Next time I'm going to stop and document it all more thoroughly. 

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #27: November 22, 2011, 04:29:04 PM »
There HAS TO BE some GREAT BWT images in there!!!!!

:cheers:

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #28: November 22, 2011, 04:31:11 PM »
I've only noticed it since the upgrade. 

Next time I'm going to stop and document it all more thoroughly. 

:thumbs:

Just know that I reserve the right to blame the user unless and until I can duplicate the issue myself :razz: ;)

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #29: November 22, 2011, 04:32:32 PM »
Not sure what to suggest, but I've never seen anything remotely like this in 4+ years using SMF to run the forum.  Are you getting this from a computer or some other device like a phone or ipad?

Well where else are we gonna keep all the deleted BWT posts :mg:

It's happened at my computer. But it's really not that big of an issue. It's only a little aggravating insofar as when I quote the text and that happens, I have to go back and redo it and by that time I'm more aggravated at what just happened than at the poster I was about to hit with vitriol laced webbing. 

Offline The Chief

« Reply #30: November 22, 2011, 04:35:45 PM »
Depending on what browser/settings you're using, it should bring your text back if you just hit the back button.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #31: November 22, 2011, 04:37:43 PM »
It's happened at my computer. But it's really not that big of an issue. It's only a little aggravating insofar as when I quote the text and that happens, I have to go back and redo it and by that time I'm more aggravated at what just happened than at the poster I was about to hit with vitriol laced webbing.  (Image removed from quote.)

:lol:

Once I went back and started over with "quote" 3 or 4 times, and got the same result each time.  Eventually I either gave up or manually typed the quotes where I wanted them.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #32: November 22, 2011, 04:38:46 PM »
You shouldn't try to use the quote feature AFTER going back.  Because of the nature of AJAX scripts and the way different browsers handle cached content with the back button, it's wonky and unpredictable.  If you screw up a post and want to save your text, best thing to do is go back, copy the text, then click out to the main page or some other page of the thread (just any link that takes you off the cached page), then click back in and paste what you copied and resume where you left off.

It should be noted that this isn't a failure of the forum software, just a matter-of-fact consequence of modern web techniques and browser features.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #33: November 22, 2011, 04:42:16 PM »
freaking AJAX.
You shouldn't try to use the quote feature AFTER going back.  Because of the nature of AJAX scripts and the way different browsers handle cached content with the back button, it's wonky and unpredictable.  If you screw up a post and want to save your text, best thing to do is go back, copy the text, then click out to the main page or some other page of the thread (just any link that takes you off the cached page), then click back in and paste what you copied and resume where you left off.

It should be noted that this isn't a failure of the forum software, just a matter-of-fact consequence of modern web techniques and browser features.