Author Topic: Nationals @ Braves, Game 1  (Read 20812 times)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Re: Nationals @ Braves, Game 1
« Reply #600: June 28, 2010, 10:58:32 PM »
There is no guarantee he gets out of the inning after a dp. Hinske hit a flyball because it was a sf situation. He bats differently if he needs to get a hit. Though I'm sure strasburg would have gotten him out in that situation.

I don't see why we can assume the dp, that was a slow hit ball. Good chance there would have been only 1 out.

"No guarantee" from Mr. predicts-the-future-in-his-previous-post. :rofl:

If he doesn't have to pitch perfectly everytime, he would have been relaxed and would not have had a 4 pitch walk.

Offline amanuel

• what the hell is going on out there?
    • RBSL
« Reply #601: June 28, 2010, 11:00:35 PM »
Im not saying any of this is acceptable but some of you might be overreacting a tad bit. Maybe we got a small taste of success and then we forgot who we really are. Desmond is basically a rookie who got off to a good start and now is in a slump. We have to stick with him and see if he can rebound and beside id rather have him over guzman out there at SS. As for morgan many did say he would fall back to earth and he did. Lets just wait and see what rizzo does i got faith in him and i think we turn it around, instead of everyone screaming bloody murder

Offline NatioNole13

• "Don't worry...Morse is a legit sleeper."
« Reply #602: June 28, 2010, 11:02:50 PM »
Off topic. Joel Zumaya probably just threw his arm out against the Twins. Not pretty.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #603: June 28, 2010, 11:03:31 PM »
Off topic. Joel Zumaya probably just threw his arm out against the Twins. Not pretty.

John Smiley style?

Offline NatioNole13

• "Don't worry...Morse is a legit sleeper."
« Reply #604: June 28, 2010, 11:08:36 PM »
at least tommy john style

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #605: June 28, 2010, 11:11:10 PM »

is it on mlb.com?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #606: June 28, 2010, 11:12:52 PM »
at least tommy john style

Smiley broke his arm throwing a pitch... I hope Joel did not suffer a similar fate.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

Offline Coladar

« Reply #608: June 29, 2010, 12:17:05 AM »
Im not saying any of this is acceptable but some of you might be overreacting a tad bit. Maybe we got a small taste of success and then we forgot who we really are. Desmond is basically a rookie who got off to a good start and now is in a slump. We have to stick with him and see if he can rebound and beside id rather have him over guzman out there at SS. As for morgan many did say he would fall back to earth and he did. Lets just wait and see what rizzo does i got faith in him and i think we turn it around, instead of everyone screaming bloody murder

No, we don't have to stick with Desmond. He is beyond awful. He isn't "close" to being a major league player. The level of play he is showing is what we have the minor leagues for. He needs to "rebound" (He's yet to be decent in the majors, so I'd say "learn") how to play baseball in AAA where the games don't count and people don't spend a crapload of money to watch the games. This attitude that we need to stick with these players makes no sense to me. The minor leagues exist so we don't have this level of amateurish play at this level of baseball. Desmond is young and a rookie, so you can't blame him the way you would a veteran. He just never should have been brought up to begin with and clearly needs a significant amount of time in AAA. Further, in AAA the focus is on teaching players a hell of a lot more than it is in the majors. They work on fielding and the basics down there, in the majors they assume you know that stuff already. If he has any chance of working out as a ball player, he needs to go to Syracuse tomorrow so he can work on this stuff with people who are paid to teach kids how to be ready for the majors. Not only is his level of play hurting us badly, but he's not in the environment that will best benefit him in the future either.

Offline amanuel

• what the hell is going on out there?
    • RBSL
« Reply #609: June 29, 2010, 12:46:17 AM »
No, we don't have to stick with Desmond. He is beyond awful. He isn't "close" to being a major league player. The level of play he is showing is what we have the minor leagues for. He needs to "rebound" (He's yet to be decent in the majors, so I'd say "learn") how to play baseball in AAA where the games don't count and people don't spend a crapload of money to watch the games. This attitude that we need to stick with these players makes no sense to me. The minor leagues exist so we don't have this level of amateurish play at this level of baseball. Desmond is young and a rookie, so you can't blame him the way you would a veteran. He just never should have been brought up to begin with and clearly needs a significant amount of time in AAA. Further, in AAA the focus is on teaching players a hell of a lot more than it is in the majors. They work on fielding and the basics down there, in the majors they assume you know that stuff already. If he has any chance of working out as a ball player, he needs to go to Syracuse tomorrow so he can work on this stuff with people who are paid to teach kids how to be ready for the majors. Not only is his level of play hurting us badly, but he's not in the environment that will best benefit him in the future either.

If he is so bad then what is Guzman? He beat him out in spring training, the kid has great range but keeps on making small mistakes that should be routine to him. You only get better with time and practice. His defense from what I have seen is borderline amazing IF he stops making those peskey small mistakes and Im sure anyone can agree with me. What we have in this organization beside is him, is basically nothing. Who would you want Orr, Gonzalez? Yeah they wont make the small mistakes Desmond does but instead of a small slump Desmond is in they will bat 230 for the rest of the season and people will cry once agian that this team is doomed. As for the slump Desmond is, well have you seen what Heyward was doing before going with the injury? Last 9 games he is 5 for 35 (142 BA), with 1 HR and 2 RBI's. But you dont see people freaking out, HES A ROOKIE. They go through phases like this and Desmond will only get better from here. All I am saying is since we dont have anything else better lets just see what happens. If he doesnt manage to get out of the hole hes in then you send him to AAA and call up Orr.

Offline CatsEye

• Very weird season -Creepy - What....
« Reply #610: June 29, 2010, 07:58:15 AM »
 The Nats have 67 errors in 76 games, not counting the game last night -the largest amount of errors in Baseball, at this time. What does that tell you? WE have big problems on this team in playing the basic fundamentals of baseball............................

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #611: June 29, 2010, 08:37:35 AM »
If he is so bad then what is Guzman?

Irrelevant.

the kid has great range but keeps on making small mistakes that should be routine to him. You only get better with time and practice.

Let him practice in Syracuse.

His defense from what I have seen is borderline amazing IF he stops making those peskey small mistakes

Evidently we have differing definitions of "pesky" and "small."  A pesky mistake is missing the cutoff man and allowing the runner to advance, and even that becomes a problem if it happens consistently (see: Morgan, Nyjer).  Leading the world at costing your team outs is a huge problem, not a small pesky mistake.

Who would you want Orr, Gonzalez? Yeah they wont make the small mistakes Desmond does but instead of a small slump Desmond is in they will bat 230 for the rest of the season

Desmond has been batting ~.260 with a barely-.300 OBP all season, and is .230 with a .265 OBP this month.  That is not a slump, that is a gaping chasm.

As for the slump Desmond is, well have you seen what Heyward was doing before going with the injury? Last 9 games he is 5 for 35 (142 BA), with 1 HR and 2 RBI's. But you dont see people freaking out, HES A ROOKIE.

The difference is that Heyward has 42 walks and 11 homeruns.  I seriously can't believe you even made that comparison.

They go through phases like this and Desmond will only get better from here. All I am saying is since we dont have anything else better lets just see what happens. If he doesnt manage to get out of the hole hes in then you send him to AAA and call up Orr.

You chide us for throwing away the season, but Desmond has already been doing that.  His range - which I humbly suggested is just a tad overrated by some here - does NOT make up for his multitude of boneheaded errors on routine plays.