Author Topic: Nationals Games & Metro  (Read 4292 times)

Offline Galah

• 2016 - the year that everything changed, again.
Re: Nationals Games & Metro
« Reply #25: August 24, 2012, 01:50:25 PM »

Was there a typo here ?  1500 times $2.10 is only $3150 - not close to $29K.  However, it's probably alot more than 1500 riders after a late playoff game.

One idea would be for metro to add a surcharge to the fare - maybe another $1 higher or the fare that's used during rush hour.  It would take some programming into the system and there may not be enough time now.  But if they charge rush hour fares, the programming change for after midnight fare would be minimal.  They could continue this on weekends as well.

Certainly begs the question of where they came up with the $29k/hour number doesn't it? It'd be unreasonable to assume that an extra order of magnitude, i.e. 15k riders would be departing from a very late game on metro....that'd assume that one third of all people at Nats park got there on the metro...as I recall the number quoted from Metro for ridership following a Sunday night game vs. the Fillies was 400 plus - using the $2 cost for a fare postulated by JCA, that leaves the Nats on the hook for $28.1k...I'm not seeing the demand signal from a Nats perspective, there is nothing but cost here and the one who gets the black eye for not providing service is Metro, not the Nats