Author Topic: Whining About Wine  (Read 2172 times)

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
Whining About Wine
« Topic Start: December 29, 2008, 06:55:00 AM »
:blah:  That damn wife of mine says we have to give up beer and lose some weight.  This is the new fad diet of the coming year - replace all beer with glasses of wine.  It's sure to ruin my taste buds, take away my piece of mind, and turn me into a wine snob.  Please help me - help me with some ideas how I can convince her we can lose weight without giving up beer. :rant:

Online HalfSmokes

Re: Whining About Wine
« Reply #1: December 29, 2008, 07:08:09 AM »
:blah:That damn wife of mine says we have to give up beer and lose some weight.  This is the new fad diet of the coming year - replace all beer with glasses of wine.  It's sure to ruin my taste buds, take away my piece of mind, and turn me into a wine snob.  Please help me - help me with some ideas how I can convince her we can lose weight without giving up beer. :rant:

Isn't Micheloab Ultra technically beer in some sense?

« Reply #2: December 29, 2008, 09:32:10 AM »
Take all the money you would use purchasing bottles of wine and buy a treadmill. Keep beer.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #3: December 29, 2008, 09:32:56 AM »
Plan A: Tell her you'll give up beer if she gives up chocolate. Drink Barley wine until this New Years resolution passes.

Plan B: Go on a real diet, like the one below, but permit an exception. Choose beer.

http://www.smallstep.gov/eb/goals.html

Also if you get stuck on a wine only diet. Go to A. Litteri's and Trader Joes and stock up. Home Depot has a nice wine cellar/fridge which usually goes on sale at the beginning of the year.

Offline El Kabong

« Reply #4: December 29, 2008, 09:50:13 AM »
Show the wife this article:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/scienceandtechnology/science/sciencenews/3312579/Beer-after-sport-%27is-good-for-the-body%27.html

Beer after sport 'is good for the body'

By Nic Fleming, Science Correspondent
Last Updated: 6:13PM GMT 01 Nov 2007

A beer after playing a game of football, a long run, or a strenuous round of golf can be good for the body, scientists say.

In a rare piece of good news for those who like a pint, Spanish researchers say beer can help someone who is dehydrated retain liquid better than water.

Prof Manuel Garzon, of Granada University, also claimed the bubbles in beer help to quench the thirst and that its carbohydrate content can help to replace lost calories.

Prof Garzon asked a group of students to do strenuous exercise in temperatures of around 40ºC (104ºF). Half were given a pint of beer, while the others received the same volume of water.

Prof Garzon, who announced the results at a press conference in Granada beneath a banner declaring "Beer, Sport, Health", said the hydration effect in those who drank beer was "slightly better".

Juan Antonio Corbalan, a cardiologist who worked formerly with Real Madrid football players and Spain's national basketball team, said beer had the perfect profile for re-hydration after sport.

He added that he had long recommended barley drinks to professional sportsmen after exercise.

Previous studies have shown most alcoholic drinks have a diuretic effect – meaning they increase the amount of liquid lost by the body through urination.

Dr James Betts, an expert on nutrition and metabolism at Bath University, said a moderate amount of beer might be just as good as water at helping the body retain liquid, but that he doubted it could be any better.

Dr Betts said: "If you are dehydrated to start with following exercise, a beer, as opposed to a spirit, probably does not have a high enough concentration of alcohol to induce a diuretic effect."

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #5: December 29, 2008, 11:21:07 AM »
The wine served at sports events (if there is any at all) is generally pretty execrable, which is all the reason one needs to stick to beer. 

Offline Dave B

« Reply #6: December 29, 2008, 03:43:30 PM »
Without knowing your typical diet, it's hard to give advice.

How much beer do you drink?

It shouldn't be hard to cut out the calorie difference between wine and beer just by eliminating soda, mayo, sour cream, sometimes unnecessary cheese (like on a burger or burrito), deep fried things.

Unless you are going to replace like 3 beers a day with a glass of wine, I don't see how this diet actually works. Just convince her it is useless.

Normally somthering crappy healthy food with someting like cheese or sour cream makes it palatable and unhealthy.  If you sub in fat free or maybe 1% greek (or maybe even regular) yogurt you can make a dry ass chicken breast very good and still healthy

disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #7: December 29, 2008, 03:58:55 PM »
If you know even a little bit about what you are doing, wine (and not even expensive wine) is just as enjoyable as beer.

Offline 2IPAs

• Barbie luvs the Nationals!
« Reply #8: December 29, 2008, 04:05:57 PM »
Mathguy is passing bad info. The South Beach Diet allows 1-2 glasses of wine with a meal after the first 2 weeks of dieting (strictest phase). Beer is disallowed because it is extremely high on the glycemic index; it contains maltodextrins, which have a higher glycemic index than table sugar.  The other components of the diet are close to what one might think of as Mediterranean--fish, lean meats, whole grains, and low-fat cheeses.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #9: December 29, 2008, 04:06:29 PM »

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #10: December 29, 2008, 04:14:09 PM »
If you know even a little bit about what you are doing, wine (and not even expensive wine) is just as enjoyable as beer.

this- the wife has gotten me more into wine, not bad if you avoid grocery store jugs (trader joes exempted) Then again I also have a six pack of winter hook in the fridge so I really don't have to give up beer either

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #11: December 29, 2008, 04:16:57 PM »
Frankly, I think everyone should have a balanced diet, including all the major groups - beers, wines, whiskeys. 

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #12: December 29, 2008, 04:18:11 PM »
Frankly, I think everyone should have a balanced diet, including all the major groups - beers, wines, whiskeys. 

:clap:

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #13: December 29, 2008, 04:38:25 PM »

You diet is sparse in the following vital groups: Vodka, Tequila, Rum, and Bourbon

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #14: December 29, 2008, 04:40:31 PM »
You diet is sparse in the following vital groups: Vodka, Tequila, Rum, and Bourbon

Bourbon is a whiskey

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #15: December 29, 2008, 04:46:21 PM »
Bourbon is a whiskey

It's not unusual to distinguish corn whiskey and Bourbon (70% corn — with the remainder being wheat and/or rye, and malted barley) as their main ingredient is maize (corn).

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #16: December 29, 2008, 04:46:30 PM »

Well, those are trace elements, I was focusing on the major nutritional requirements.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #17: December 29, 2008, 04:52:29 PM »
It's not unusual to distinguish corn whiskey and Bourbon (70% corn — with the remainder being wheat and/or rye, and malted barley) as their main ingredient is maize (corn).

Then we can play the whole Scotch vs Rye vs Bourbon vs American Whiskey (Jack) v. Irish Whiskey. . .

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #18: December 29, 2008, 05:02:46 PM »
Then we can play the whole Scotch vs Rye vs Bourbon vs American Whiskey (Jack) v. Irish Whiskey. . .

Feel free. Nothing wrong with more key groups.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #19: December 29, 2008, 05:08:33 PM »
Feel free. Nothing wrong with more key groups.

If only, my wife has a thing about me drinking scotch. By the way does anyone know how long you can keep scotch in a leaded decanter without getting lead poisioning? My McCallum 10 year is closer to a 12 year now.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #20: December 29, 2008, 05:28:53 PM »
By the way does anyone know how long you can keep scotch in a leaded decanter without getting lead poisioning?

Alcohol should never be kept in leaded glass containers.  They are meant to be "decanted" just upon serving, not stored there.  Throw it out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_crystal

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #21: December 29, 2008, 05:30:19 PM »
Alcohol should never be kept in leaded glass containers.  They are meant to be "decanted" just upon serving, not stored there.  Throw it out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_crystal

Goo! look at the levels after 2 days!

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #22: December 29, 2008, 07:26:32 PM »
Everything in Moderation.  :roll:

Offline blue911

« Reply #23: January 15, 2009, 03:24:24 PM »
Worst "Healthy" Sandwich

Blimpie Veggie Supreme (12")
1,106 calories
56 g fat (33 g saturated fat)
2,831 mg sodium
96 g carbohydrates

Sure, a Veggie Supreme sandwich sounds healthy, but this foot-long comes with three different kinds of cheese, and it’s drenched in oil. After Blimpie gets done with this vegetarian nightmare, you’d be better off consuming two Big Macs than sitting down with this sandwich.

Bunny food for bunnies,real men need red meat  :D

http://health.yahoo.com/experts/eatthis/24416/20-worst-foods-in-america-2009

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #24: January 15, 2009, 03:45:48 PM »
Men's Health magazine features really unhealthy meals each month.  Within the last few months they had Five Guys burger and fries.     :shock:        >:(                   :-[