Author Topic: Our best minor leaguer of the year?  (Read 1716 times)

Ryan Zimmerman

Our best minor leaguer of the year?
« Topic Start: September 10, 2005, 10:32:31 AM »
I'd nominate Casto, Zimmerman, Short.

And, I'm surprised by the performance of the free agent prospect we signed (Francisco Placensia) who completly teared it up with Vermont.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1: September 10, 2005, 08:44:33 PM »
All worthy, but I'd have to go with Short.  He had an historic season.

toonsterwu

« Reply #2: May 19, 2006, 11:30:54 PM »
Well, I guess I'll make a comment for this year.  Based on a combination of upside and "readiness", I'd say the top 5 are

1.  Kory Casto - Edges out Broadway for me as I think Casto's hitting projects better to the pros.  Looks to take over at 2nd next year, and should offer a decent bat there.

2.  Larry Broadway - Has rebounded real well.  Would like to see him cut down on his swing, be a little more patient, and lower those K's.  But the fact that he's rebounded to reaffirm his promise is a good sign.

3.  John Lannan - This clearly falls into the upside category.  But I really like Lannan, maybe even more than the arms at Potomac.  It may just be me, though.  I think he's got sharp stuff (not great, but solid-good), but has control issues.  Cut down on those walks and I think he could be nasty.  Big lefties are always worth paying attention to.  Dunno, maybe it's just me.

4.  Mike Vento - I'm sure this one is going to get a lot of "What the hell is he thinking?"  Granted, Vento isn't really a prospect anymore, and also, he's playing in the PCL.  But ... the thing that's impressive isn't the "numbers" persay.  It's the fact that his K's are down this year.  He never really got a shot in New York.  Maybe he's just a late bloomer.

5.  Clint Everts - The only one of the big Potomac 3 that I have on this list.  The reason being, I love his stuff.  I know, Hinckley's still somewhat rebounding, so it's unfair to judge (thus my acknowledgement below).  But Everts stuff is there.  It's the control, and that can be worked with.

Still in the Team Picture (copying BA):

Gerald Plexico
Oscar Alvarez
Shawn Hill
David Maust
Mike Hinckley
Collin Balester
Bill Bray
Billy Traber
Santiago Ramirez
Roy Corcoran
Alexis Morales
Brett Campbell
Craig Stanmen
Trey Webb
Brandon Powell
Brendan Harris

Admittedly, it's only been a couple months, so this isn't meant as anything but right now.

CHIP72

« Reply #3: May 19, 2006, 11:36:44 PM »
Both Frank Diaz and Salomon Manriquez HAVE to be on any list of top 2006 Nationals minor leaguers at this point.  Regarding the top 5 shown above, I can't say I'm that knowledgeable about the guys besides Casto and Broadway, but Diaz in particular probably SHOULD be in the Nats top 5 IMO.

toonsterwu

« Reply #4: May 19, 2006, 11:43:05 PM »
Quote from: "CHIP72"
Both Frank Diaz and Salomon Manriquez HAVE to be on any list of top 2006 Nationals minor leaguers at this point.  Regarding the top 5 shown above, I can't say I'm that knowledgeable about the guys besides Casto and Broadway, but Diaz in particular probably SHOULD be in the Nats top 5 IMO.

You are right.  Both should've been on the extended list.  I keep on forgetting about both for some reason.

That said, I can't put Diaz in the top 5.  Good defensive outfielder, but I'm not sold his bat projects to anything more than a backup right now in the bigs at best.  But yeah, I should have him on the list.